TRON: The Ride

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#241 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

You could put a lever in the start of the launch, and when the catch car hits it, it is then used to turn off the drill somehow...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#242 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Even a limit switch would work great if you could figure out a way to have the catch car hit it just right.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#243 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

That still doesn't solve the problem I stated above. I can already switch the drill off at the right time. But, because it sometimes goes faster than other times, that means that it will keep turning farther after it's off. But I've got a programming solution that will hopefully fix that.

#244 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

I don't understand how a drill will keep turning if it's off...could you please elaborate a bit on the issue you're having?

-Ben

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#245 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:25 AM

When you use a drill, and then you release the trigger, to stop it, it still goes until it runs out of momentum.

Posted Image

#246 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Maybe try increasing the torque if it's a variable torque drill?

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#247 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Find a drill with dynamic braking instead....

OR, since the drill is only coasting backwards after a point anyways. Could you create something along the lines of a knot in the line that is rewinding, so that it it forces the catch car to stop in the same place and stops the coast of the drill. So that it simply stops the coasting (yes this could be jerky, but would help accuracy).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#248 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I wasn't expecting so many. I'll let you know that I have not given up yet! The reason I haven't worked on Tron lately is that we're (hopefully) selling a lot of our furniture. I'm so happy to have more building space!! See?

Posted Image

I haven't seen that carpet since Magnum was built...

Back to Tron. My solution is to have the drill stop when it's about 3/4 done resetting. Then it will quickly flip the switch on/off, wait a second, flip it on/off, etc....until the sensor is activated. That way, the drill won't have any momentum to make it turn too far. And it can stop in the right place. Hopefully.

I may not have the final video finished by Summer Heat's deadline, but either way I will make a DB page so I can enter.

#249 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:26 AM

When you use a drill, and then you release the trigger, to stop it, it still goes until it runs out of momentum.

Not always, some drills have a block on, so when you release the trigger it blocks straight away. Anyway, you say you have an idea, it should probably work :P

#250 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:59 AM

I may not have the final video finished by Summer Heat's deadline, but either way I will make a DB page so I can enter.

I might not either (thank you wonderful band), but I guess as long as you have a nice amount of photos you should be fine. It's nice to see you're getting some more space! jealoussssss. Maybe instead of using a drill launch you could use a cable launch like the one Suck made a while ago for his coaster that looks just like your brakes.

^ I have a drill like that and the sudden deacceleration of the chain will put so much force on the chain, "SNAP". Using a drill like that is great but you have to slowly de-accelerate it.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#251 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

Believe it or not, I'm still trying to automate Tron's cable launch and I haven't done it yet. I got really really close tonight with a new design, and then the string snapped...again. I have one last attempt, and if it doesn't work, I'm done. It's time to move on. I will still run it manually so I can film the final video.
Expect a database page for the ride tomorrow, so I can enter in Summer Heat. The final video will hopefully come in the next few weeks.

#252 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Database page.

EDIT: V Thanks, it's fixed now.

#253 Killerbunny

Killerbunny

Fear the bunny!

• 554 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

When I try to look at it, a message pops up saying it is a private album.

Posted Image

Thanks Spitfire!

Coaster Count: 73

1. Millenium Force 2. Montu 3. Top Thrill Dragster 4. Raging Bull 5. Maverick

#254 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hummm, the link sent me to your photobucket page and says it's private.

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#255 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

This turned out amazing! You take some really spectacular pictures. :) What kind of camera do you have? It has great quality. Great job with the ride, I can't wait for the final video!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#256 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:29 AM

Really nice coaster with an overwhelming appearance to it at just looking at it! I hope the final video will be as great as Steel Force's, or even better. ;)

Posted Image

#257 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

This turned out amazing! You take some really spectacular pictures. :) What kind of camera do you have? It has great quality.

Thanks! I use my dad's Nikon D90. I used it to shoot most of the final video too.

Really nice coaster with an overwhelming appearance to it at just looking at it! I hope the final video will be as great as Steel Force's, or even better. ;)

Once again, thanks! I'm pleased with the outcome of this coaster as well, although the building process is always more fun to me than the actual outcome :)

Final(ly) video.

:rfro
-Steel

#258 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

Great video!

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#259 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

I LOVE the pov! It looks so real!

#260 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

That video was amazing! Totally worth the wait. One of the best final videos I've ever seen.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102