TRON: The Ride

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#221 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

^ Thanks, and yes I plan to do that once I get back from vacation.

#222 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

^^ Upon further consideration, I will keep the brake on one side. I don't need a lot of braking force since the train comes onto the brake run with little speed.

Kids, this is what we call a complete circuit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is how far the train makes it after rolling through the pre-launch:

Posted Image

This is called heartlining (are you happy now, Max?):

Posted Image

This is called a literal head-chopper:

Posted Image

This is a tophat that's been adjusted so it's rounder and smoother on top:

Posted Image

And this is a test video of the launch. I can run the coaster automatically using my phone, but I was using it to record this video.

I'd like some TRON theming ideas if you have any.

I just got back from vacation last night, and tomorrow (Sunday) morning through Friday I'm going to summer camp. See you guys in 6 days!

#223 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

That pre-launch turn is very cool! Can't wait to see the final pictures :) By the way, that last picture looks like a big p****

Posted Image

#224 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I guess that pre-launch works better than using a tire drive to get it on the catch car. No ideas for theming, I actually don't know anything about 'Tron'.

Posted Image

#225 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

I would love to see you make the Station Themed as Flynn's Arcade!
Then you could make that office section the "ride op" booth.

Posted Image

#226 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

This is called heartlining (are you happy now, Max?):

Yesch, very much :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#227 MrRemcoStyle

MrRemcoStyle

dream'n

• 378 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:27 AM

Realy nice coaster cars !

#228 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

This coaster is turning out really nice! I love it.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#229 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

I like the Flynn's arcade station idea, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of these floating over the track: Posted Image

Awesome job by the way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#230 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

Wonderful Ryan very creative and it's actually pretty well tron grid themed :D

#231 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:44 PM

I'm very frustrated right now. While attempting to fully automate the cable launch, I'm running into the same situation as Avalanche--one problem after another.
When I first built the launch, it seemed like it would be easy to automate. Not so. At least with the tools I have to work with.

One problem is that the launch won't reset to the same place consistently; this is partly because the drill doesn't always turn the exact same speed. So sometimes the train can't hook onto the catch car by itself. Other times it won't launch fast enough. Or if the drill turns too far, it snaps the catch car and the surgical tubing goes flying.
I've tried several methods to make it work, even placing a sensor on the rotating axle. The limitations of NXT and Knex make it very difficult to reset the cable launch automatically.

What do you guys suggest I do? I may do the same as with Avalanche: declare the coaster completed, and run it manually. But this time, I'd make a nice final video :)

#232 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

How probable is a drill launch? That seems like the obvious solution. Or if all else fails, just reset the launch manually.

#233 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

nothing wrong with a manual override.

Though can you use a sensor to figure out where the catch car is and base the drill stopping on the catch car location (se.g. touch sensor)? Instead of using time or rotations and etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#234 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

I think using a sensor would be the best way to go. NXT does have a sensor of some sorts that can detect light or movement, and if you placed it in the right part of the launch to where it should reset then it would stop there every time. Seems like an efficient and simple fix to your problem, but if not then manual is the way to go.

Posted Image

#235 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Is RightWayTrey's automatic drill launch an option? there's a tutorial (i think you knwo what). Im just tryin to help.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#236 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

I think using a sensor would be the best way to go. NXT does have a sensor of some sorts that can detect light or movement, and if you placed it in the right part of the launch to where it should reset then it would stop there every time. Seems like an efficient and simple fix to your problem, but if not then manual is the way to go.

I agree, this could be the key to got that launch working automatically. I have had the same problems with my launch too, since it was still quite accurate when resetting it I simply made the catch car longer by a ladder connection :).

Posted Image

#237 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

Sorry to bump this but here's an idea...

place eight white rods on a snowflake and place it on a rod that moves at a moderate pace as part of the launch (not too fast but not terribly slowly). Place a proximity sensor (assuming NXT has something like that) and alight it with the custom gear. Then, have the proximity sensor count how many spokes it sees on a perfect reset, and then have the sensor count spokes on future resets and stop the unwinding of the drill when the number matches the stored number. That should get you pretty close I think...

-Ben

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#238 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:23 PM

^ I have an NXT system (If anyone remembers, I tried to automate Korn: the Ride with a cable lift but it didn't go too well.) Steel helped me with it and I might have learned a few things from breaking that thing out and blowing the dust off of it.

The NXT has a color sensor, and a ultrasonic sensor, closest thing to proximity sensors you get with those things.

I like your idea CC10. Maybe use the color sensor and put a piece of color paper on one of the spokes. then program it like ^ said. I believe it produces it's own light, so even if it's in a shadow, or you're filming in the dark for the final video (wich will happen :D) it will still be able to tell where the piece of paper is. That's my idea. Try it if you want.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#239 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

^^ I had already tried that, except it used a touch sensor. It still counted the revolutions accurately. The problem is that the drill won't always turn the same speed (I'm not 100% sure why). It takes a while to start up and slow down, so its speed has an effect on how far it resets.

I'm going to give it one more attempt with the drill. But if that doesn't work, I'm going manual.

#240 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

The best way for an accurate reset is to check where the catch car is, if you can make something that checks for the catch car, pretty much problem solved. If NXT had a magnetism sensor (Hall sensor) or a reed switch you can add a tiny magnet and have the motor stop right at the moment the contact is made.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image