advise broken car screaminserpent wanting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:58 AM

I have this middle car which needs a few modifications because the wheels don't move (meaning the axle is rusted) and I can't screw some of the screws.

The reason why I can't screw the screw is because they have been worn out and have gone blunt. My dad says I can't fix it but maybe you guys can tell me how to get it off?

Posted Image
Sorry about the blurred picture

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#2 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's a hard job fixing that. Getting the axle out is very hard without screwing it apart. Maybe it helps if you put on some acidic stuff, it might eat the rust. I don't really know if this will also affect the rest of the car, but your stickers are definetly gone. Coke is a bit acidic, but you do better if you look for somewhat a bit stronger I think. Maybe others have suggestions for this? Well, good luck.

-=tK=-

Posted Image

#3 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Maybe you cloud get a drill bit the size of the screw hole? and drill through the screw? Although then you wouldn't be able to screw the wheels back on.....

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#4 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

This fix will require taking some things apart. To get things apart, use WD-40 (yes everyone, us a Water Displacement when the issue is rust) and leave it sit, and then hopefully u can unscrew things easier.

Then drop the axles and the screws into Coca-cola (may take 1-4 days), it should help to remove the rest of the rust. Then dry everything. Leave it sit for a while to ensure it is dry, and then reassemble. Use a decent oil (synthetic car oil, or bike chain oil works well). And things should be fixed.

**To pull the assemble apart, gentle pull down (If it is already stripped you may need to pull harder to get the screw to grab before it starts to release on it's own) on the wheel trucks while turning the screw left (lefty loosy) this should help to loosen things up. For reassemble, I first suggest finding green or blue (medium or light) LOCTITE. If the locktite does not hold, try a small dab of superglue. this will help with the threads to hold on to things.**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

It's a hard job fixing that. Getting the axle out is very hard without screwing it apart. Maybe it helps if you put on some acidic stuff, it might eat the rust. I don't really know if this will also affect the rest of the car, but your stickers are definetly gone. Coke is a bit acidic, but you do better if you look for somewhat a bit stronger I think. Maybe others have suggestions for this? Well, good luck.

-=tK=-

The thing is that the treads are worn out, the rust is not really any problem. Thanks for the comment :)

Maybe you cloud get a drill bit the size of the screw hole? and drill through the screw? Although then you wouldn't be able to screw the wheels back on.....

I asked my dad and he said we didn't have any like that. I was just going to use the wheels from the front car anyway if I could screw it off.

This fix will require taking some things apart. To get things apart, use WD-40 (yes everyone, us a Water Displacement when the issue is rust) and leave it sit, and then hopefully u can unscrew things easier.

Then drop the axles and the screws into Coca-cola (may take 1-4 days), it should help to remove the rest of the rust. Then dry everything. Leave it sit for a while to ensure it is dry, and then reassemble. Use a decent oil (synthetic car oil, or bike chain oil works well). And things should be fixed.

**To pull the assemble apart, gentle pull down (If it is already stripped you may need to pull harder to get the screw to grab before it starts to release on it's own) on the wheel trucks while turning the screw left (lefty loosy) this should help to loosen things up. For reassemble, I first suggest finding green or blue (medium or light) LOCTITE. If the locktite does not hold, try a small dab of superglue. this will help with the threads to hold on to things.**

I am unable to screw it off in the first place because of the treads being worn out. It won't loosen and my dad said it was hopeless trying.

I just want to hacksaw at the wheels and remove the screws from underneath. Is that a good idea? :P

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#6 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

take a flat screw driver and and just start using the leverage until you can break something to to force the screw out. then you can have away at the wheels if that is all that you are after. And the car is unusable as it is anyways

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

I want the orange car, not the wheels. They mean nothing to me in this situation. Middle cars here are really rare and are alot of money. I don't want to buy separate. I will try doing the screw thing for a while till is moves but it also might make it worst.

The thread is pretty much a complete circle now so I feel like hacksaw the wheels off. Take the screws of from underneath the orange car and replace the whole wheel rack with the ones from the front car. Is that a good idea?

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#8 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

Probably, yes, but you need to make sure the sawing is very precise so you don't harm your car too much. Again, good luck.

-=tK=-

Posted Image

#9 Roy

Roy

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

You could try one of the following

1. a srew extrator tool, Screw or Bolt Extractor - How to Remove a Broken Screw

2. drill out the screw and replace with a slightly larger self taping screw,

3. engrave or cut a slot across the top of the screw and use a flat headed screw driver to un screw it,

4. snap the plastic parts apart and use a good plastic glue to refix (as a last resort).

Which ever method you use, be careful, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Check out my first build The Pen Dragon

#10 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

Thanks Roy, you saved my middle car! I snapped my wheels and fixed the axles and now it is a brand new car. Unfortunately we couldn't save the car wheels because the glue couldn't hold it it due to massive cuts from doing it wrong.

Well thanks for your help and now I can make a 5 car train!!!!

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#11 Roy

Roy

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:38 AM

Im so pleased that you got it sorted. :)

Check out my first build The Pen Dragon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advise, broken, car, screaminserpent, wanting