Orange Rush [ZS-Summer Heat]

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: What type of layout do you think this will be? (53 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of layout do you think this will be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

I love it! It is like the "motherboard" of the automation!

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#182 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

guess you have some long tethers to the motors. Looks good. nice and clean and sleek.

Yeah, I'm using the 4 foot cables, however some of them are a bit long that I have to wrap them around the base a bit (you can see it in the first picture).

It so...minimalistic. And simple, yet effective. I'm impressed.

Thanks! I'm quite shocked to hear that from you but thank you!

This looks really good Lambchops! Now I want to see some pictures of those brakes!

Those are coming....

Very nice! Looks very slick and you'll hardly notice it's there when its covered. Good luck with the programming!

-Ben

Thank you! Youre completely right about not seeing it, I have a bit of scenery over top of most of the stuff so you won't even notice it's there without really trying to find it. It gives that "it's alive" feeling to it.

I love it! It is like the "motherboard" of the automation!

Thanks! It pretty much is.

Well Good news and somewhat bad news:

Good News: I started installing the magnets on the first brake run so I can get an idea of how close they have to be to the car. I also got my school laptop (3 weeks late) finally, so now I'll be able to get on SSC more!

Bad News: School has started (yesterday) and thanks to my 7 classes (3 of which are honors) I now have hours and hours of homework and very little time to finish building during the weekdays. I will try to get the final video shot over the weekend but I can't promise that. I will try to post an update friday night about the magnets and scenery.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#183 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

Almost a month after it's completion, Orange Rush is still standing. However, many aspects of it has fallen apart, such as the automatic station gates, the lift hill setup, and one of the cars. I was planning on making a final video, but I'm not very sure if it's worth the effort to restore the coaster back to what it was when the pictures were taken and it was submitted to the DB.

I have plans for another tube coaster lined up, and I was planning to start O.R.'s deconstruction tonight, but I just want to know if you guys think that I should bother trying to fix it and make a final video.

Again, thanks for making OR tie for 2nd in Summer Heat and hopefully my coasters in the future will be even better!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#184 Josh Monster

Josh Monster

Works with Alpal.

• 491 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

Did you ever get a change to finish the brakes?

I don't think it is worth making a final if the cars are falling apart and the automation/lift are not working. It would still be cool to see a final but I don't know if it is worth the effort.

Posted Image

#185 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

I would do what you want. I know that it is not so cool that the cars are falling appart and that the automatication isn´t that good anymore. But i would still try to make a final video for this coaster, since you´ve putted a lot of work and time into this project.

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#186 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

Sadly enough, time has come for a new coaster to be built starting tonight, thus, Orange Rush has met it's end. There's no turning back now I guess....

Posted Image

And for those wondering why / how my station was glowing orange, this is picture will explain that pretty easily. Also, there are orange lights in the 4 open beams used to hold the track up, which is why I never used tubes in the first place. I'm so clever. Posted Image

#187 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

I do not feel you have to go all out and fix every last detail, but a final video of sort would be awesome. I mean, just to show the effectiveness of the brakes would be worth it (so no lift even needed).

But if you do not do one, still an Awesome Ride!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#188 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

^ I was kind of sad about it, but I'm planning on using a more effective magnetic braking system in my next coaster coming up, and I will most definitely refine it and make it work a lot better than the one on this coaster. The design I used did work, somewhat, but it needed to be longer and closer to the car to work, but I think I've found a way to fix that. You'll just have to wait and see!

#189 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

DB, but idk why I just don't edit my post above, but oh well. This is about to become a dead thread soon anyway.

Almost done taking apart Orange Rush, completely. I still have half the base left, including the NXT setup and of course, the automatic station gates.

Not sure if I've ever shown how I did it, but here's how. It's not as easy as it looks, trust me. I spent hours trying to come up with just this design alone. I had over 8 other designs, but this is the only design that works easily. I was planning on making a tutorial, but hopefully the following pictures will help those who will eventually want to make station gates like mine can follow these.

Overview
Posted Image

As you can see, there were multiple levels that were made to keep the system simple yet effective.
Posted Image

Finally, the one thing that might shock some of you is that my gates only used one, yes, count it, one motor to control all 4 gates!
Posted Image

Thanks again to everyone who followed this coaster to the end. I'll be making a tutorial for the way I converted NXT motors to Knex motors later.

Be on the look out for my next coaster!

#190 Gromit15

Gromit15

Strive For Perfection

• 388 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

Sorry to say that you had to take it down so quickly, it was so young!!!:sdd But at least you enterdedit for summer heat.;) But a tut would be nice!

In pieces logo thing