Wooden Coaster Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

I am so fed up with this boring, rough, painful, and dangerous coaster. The last time my family rode it my little brother (who almost never cries) was bawling his eyes out after the ride. He rode MF and TTD so he couldn't have been scared. And he said it hurt him so much he thought he broke a bone. Why is this stupid ride still here? An amazing, record breaking steel or wooden rollercoaster can go where this piece of crap stands. Maybe they're keeping it because it's a classic? Maybe more people ride it than it seems like? Maybe Cedar Point enjoys spending $2M a year on this ride just to torture people? Maybe I'm just overreacting. But wouldn't you be mad if your 8 year old brother was hurt to the point that he was crying. The only group of people that like this rollercoaster would be the people who are fascinated with it. Anybody who wants to call me a wimp for saying this can call away. I'm just so furious with this coaster.

Okay, venting done.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#2 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:32 AM

I think there are a few reasons, one is the cost to take it down. It costs quite alot of money to take big coasters like that down. And it takes alot of work. Another reason is CP's coaster count. If they are trying to compete for the most roller coasters, they need every coaster they can get.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#3 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

It still has a fairly long line on summer days. I waited 40 minutes when I went so it is still popular with some of the public. As long as people will go on it they will keep it. I would rather have it torn down and replaced with an Intamin Prefab but I dont think they will tear it down anytime soon. It would be a lot more fun if they would just take off the trim brakes.

#4 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I think that it would be awesome if they would replace the track like they did with Texas Giant. I could see it becoming a fun, smooth coaster.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#5 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I could easily see a hypercoaster, or even a giga coaster going where mean streak stands.

#6 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

^Why? CP already has both of those.

#7 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

A flying then. Or a diving.

Posted Image

#8 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Or better yet, build rides right over rides with supports going to the side of the coaster below.

Posted Image

#9 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

^Why? CP already has both of those.

But they would both have different ride evperiences. The way intamin has evolved their building style would make a giga coaster, bigger and badder than millie.

#10 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

He's got a point. It could be bigger, but if it were anything like I305, it'd certainly be badder.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#11 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

I waited 40 minutes when I went

You actually waited for that crap? Me and my friends laughed the whole time because it was actually painful to ride.

Posted Image

#12 moose517

moose517

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

i love riding the mean streak, because as the name of it says its mean, and you get beat up, i love that fact actually.

#13 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Unless one is a masochist, there is nothing good about the pain suffered on that ride.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#14 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

I agree, and there's nothing really outstanding about it. Really, the could put something so much better there, preferably a Prefab (because without it they'd only have 1 wooden coaster left)

#15 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

I love Mean Streak, regardless of how rough it is. When I rode it, it was rough, but I enjoyed it. And it's also one of the only big wooden coasters, which is a neat thing.

Formally RK500

#16 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Wooden coasters are known to be rough, I went and rode the Boardwalk Bullet and compared it to this coaster, it's rough, but it is a fun experience. My family to this day does not ride that coaster when we go, we just don't no one likes it. But I mean come on, the skyline would be lost without it, the huge monstrosity standing as a memoir of modern engineering, the millions of feet of crisp southern yellow pine creaking as the train passes over. I like it. Plus it adds that "woodsy" feel to the camper village. I like that thing, regardless of the horrible riding experience, and yes, I did say it was horrible ;)

EDIT:

Now please... you can't go into Cedar Point without gazing at this beast and saying "whoa" if you say anything at all. This thing is so cool! Why would you want to get rid of a beautiful coaster like this????

Posted Image

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#17 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

I sent an email to CP about mean streak about a year ago. The email contained suggestions, like a replacing of the track, or an Intamin re-tracking. The original email was deleted unfortunately but a month ago I received this email from Mark Schoelwer. I really hope that this means a complete re-tracking. But it might just mean structural enhancements. Whatever it is, it will make the ride closer to rideable. And it might just make the ride enjoyable.

Schoelwer, Mark mschoelwer@cedarfair.com
Oct 20Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
to me, PO
Posted Image
CP 2287

Hi Max

Thanks for sending us your comment on the Mean Streak. The coaster is in the process of a major overhaul, replacing all of the risers, framing etc. It’s a major undertaking giving the length of track and the amount of lumber required. This year CP rebuilt the first hill (after the lift) and a portion of the ensuing track. It has made a quantifiable difference in the ride experience. The ride is closed for the remainder of this year but if you ride it in 2012 you’ll find it is a much more enjoyable thrill.

Thanks again for your note and I hope you return to CP next year.

Take care

Mark Schoelwer
Corporate Director
Planning & Design

#18 Coaster105

Coaster105

Lead Engineer

• 1035 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ive ridden Mean Streak twice, and both rides were enjoyable.
I think it's really only Cedar Point Fan-boys that are always complaining, because they are majorly spoiled with all the smooth Intamin rides there.

A wooden coaster, is supposed to be rough. Mean streak is a massive beautiful coaster that offers a different experience then all your other fancy 25 million dollar rides. They don't build rides like this one anymore.

Yes, Compared to every other ride at CP, it's rough and throws you around, but I would take this ride at my local park anyday.

-Coaster105

Youtube Channel

#19 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

^agreed

I forgot to throw in that it was closed when I was there for Halloweekends. Never saw any construction, but maybe that was why it was closed.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#20 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

They should, at the very least, make the trims smoother. I don't know how, but being jolted to a near stop at the most exciting part of the ride is a problem.