Wooden Coaster Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ive ridden Mean Streak twice, and both rides were enjoyable.
I think it's really only Cedar Point Fan-boys that are always complaining, because they are majorly spoiled with all the smooth Intamin rides there.

A wooden coaster, is supposed to be rough. Mean streak is a massive beautiful coaster that offers a different experience then all your other fancy 25 million dollar rides. They don't build rides like this one anymore.

Yes, Compared to every other ride at CP, it's rough and throws you around, but I would take this ride at my local park anyday.

While I understand your point, I just don't see the fun in being banged around that much on a ride. The whole point of a roller coaster is the fun of it, right? I don't mean to say that roller coasters shouldn't be rough at all, because being jolted around in your seat is fun to a point, but when it starts genuinely hurting, that's a different story. Just my opinion.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#22 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ive ridden Mean Streak twice, and both rides were enjoyable.
I think it's really only Cedar Point Fan-boys that are always complaining, because they are majorly spoiled with all the smooth Intamin rides there.

A wooden coaster, is supposed to be rough. Mean streak is a massive beautiful coaster that offers a different experience then all your other fancy 25 million dollar rides. They don't build rides like this one anymore.

Yes, Compared to every other ride at CP, it's rough and throws you around, but I would take this ride at my local park anyday.

How about from a KI boy that grew up with Son of Beast and still finds Mean Streak a painful and poor ride experience?

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#23 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Just so happens that they are doing quite a bit of retracking on Mean Streak. They're having "Off Limits" from the Travel Chanel film a show about it.

OnPoint Goes Off Limits Part 1 - OnPoint! - The CP Blog, News & Media, Cedar Point

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#24 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

I really hope they mean actual replacement of the laminated wood track. Not just the steel rails. If they mean the steel rails, we're screwed.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#25 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

It looks like they're doing more than replacing just the rails.
...And I'd say they need it, this is pretty much how I remember Mean Streak:

#26 Brochacho

Brochacho

the new guy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

Holy crap! I've never been to Cedar Point, but that video is quite a put off for me

#27 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

That's also with a pretty bad camera job though.

Man, I could feel those trims pull just watching that.

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#28 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

I really hope they mean actual replacement of the laminated wood track. Not just the steel rails. If they mean the steel rails, we're screwed.

Posted Image

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#29 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

^ I thought that was just the catwalk at first. Now I think we have a chance. Maybe I might even ride this coaster (and stop complaining about it).

#30 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Just give it the Texas Giant treatment and we can all be happy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#31 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

^ I hope that happens. Rocky Mountain said they would be doing one this year and hopefuly it is Meanstreak.

#32 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

Rocky Mountain confirmed at IAAPA that nothing will open in 2012, but 2013 will come with a brand new, custom coaster AND a track replacement coaster. Now along with Mean Streak being wished, Son of Beast has also been rumored for it, and with 2013 being the opening date, we could see either one being the coaster to get it.

Personally, I'm putting my money on Son of Beast (not because I'm a home boy). If Cedar Point is putting the work to do re-tracking on Mean Streak for next season, that's telling me that they are willing to go with it as it is for a few more years. On the other hand, Son of Beast has just been sitting there with no known work happening, which either tells me it's going to come down (bonfire, please) or that a renovation is in the design phase.

Obviously, I don't know what is being planned, but I'm still going to speculate.

SSCoasters Staff

#33 SFMMCrazy

SFMMCrazy

#Thrillsforallages

• 794 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Wasnt Rattler getting Rocky mountain and "rumored"Colossus was getting NTAG makeover for its 30th year?

Thrill Capital Insider

Where Thrills Rule

#34 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Rocky Mountain confirmed at IAAPA that nothing will open in 2012, but 2013 will come with a brand new, custom coaster AND a track replacement coaster. Now along with Mean Streak being wished, Son of Beast has also been rumored for it, and with 2013 being the opening date, we could see either one being the coaster to get it.

Personally, I'm putting my money on Son of Beast (not because I'm a home boy). If Cedar Point is putting the work to do re-tracking on Mean Streak for next season, that's telling me that they are willing to go with it as it is for a few more years. On the other hand, Son of Beast has just been sitting there with no known work happening, which either tells me it's going to come down (bonfire, please) or that a renovation is in the design phase.

Obviously, I don't know what is being planned, but I'm still going to speculate.

Probably SOB. I'm sure CF wouldn't waste 30 million dollars on it. But who knows, CP can be replacing the track to prep it for the replacement.

The coaster is in the process of a major overhaul, replacing all of the risers, framing etc.

I don't know for sure, I'm just guessing.

#35 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'd rather see Mean Streak get a major overhaul than the Texas Giant treatment.

Think about it. Does CP really need an overbanking woodie?

#36 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

^ They need a real woodie. For a park that big, one decent woodie (Blue Streak) is not enough. Bring in a new GCI, please.

SSCoasters Staff

#37 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

But the problem is that the picky guests won't ride it. And they definitely won't ride it with Maverick next door. Think of SFMM's Apocalypse, I've been told it's popularity has significantly declined since it was built. But that's only information from other forums and crap, so I don't know if it is true. But maybe CP just doesn't want to invest in another woodie.

#38 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

For the sake of park balance though, they need another wooden coaster. I never said it had to be where Mean Streak is either (or to remove Mean Streak either). Put it in that "weak spot" over be Wicked Twister and Disaster Transport. It will receive some love since it would be right there and easily visible from the parking lot. Will it ever be as popular as Millie, Dragster, or Maverick? No. But woodies like GCI are great family rides and Planet Snoopy is right there too (GCI's new Big Fun model has a 43 inch height requirement, most are 48").

I don't find Apocalypse's popularity at SFMM relevant at all. It's a completely different park that appeals to mostly teenagers and young adults rather than CP's appeal to about anyone "young" enough to enjoy rides.

SSCoasters Staff

#39 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Sorry for posting so soon again. I thought about CP putting the station of a Gravity Group woodie on Millennium Force Island, then making a loooooooong tunnel to a fenced area of the parking lot. Much like Hades. Loaded with airtime, laterals, and positive G's. Then with timberliners, it would be gold. =)

But then, They would have to reinforce the tunnel, and avoid the footers of rides. Plus the high water table. :'(

#40 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:30 PM

^Plus the fact that Millennium Island will be occupied by Dinosaurs Alive next year, leaving probably no room for anything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot