• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

It is time to start a new edition of the annual Winter Contest! Cedar Fair and the K'NEX company banded together and made plans for a new amusement park. SSC was asked to design one of their new roller coasters. The actual location is still unknown to the public, but since we will be developers for the park, we were provided with a map. An explanation of the map, and thus the rules, will follow.

Posted Image

• The building area is limited to the red rectangle (8 long grey rods by 4 long grey rods).
  • The purple area has to contain the station, but can contain other parts of the roller coaster.
  • The blue shape is the path for the visitors to walk on. A long straight path intersects the building area (which can be at ground level or elevated like a bridge). This path should stay clear of any roller coaster parts! The path's clearance height is one yellow/granite rod.

These are the rules related to the map. Cedar Fair and K'NEX communicated a few other rules, too:

• Height restriction at tree top level; luckily the trees there are rather tall, the restriction is set at 5 long grey rods high.
  • What is specifically asked for is a CREATIVE element. It is up to the contestant to decide what is their CREATIVE element. Every contestant writes a paragraph about why his design is the right one for the park and what his CREATIVE element is, and why it is CREATIVE. Note that everything can be considered an element; a track element, theming, automation, the station, etc.

In short, there is a bunch of geometrical limits and there is need of a CREATIVE element.

The SSCoasters staff wishes you a lot of fun during building. Your deadline is January 15th, 2012.

Please post your questions in a reply to this post.

This is a fictional story. Cedar Fair and K'NEX are not actually related to this contest.

Q&A
Can we send multiple entries?
Yes, you can, but it is not recommended, as you reduce your chance of winning.

Is the template 7 or 8 grey rods long?
It was supposed to be 7, but a change in the template caused me to make an error. Now I will leave it at 8, to give you more space to work in.

Can I have two stations?
Yes, but both have to be in the purple area, with paths leading to the path section south of the red area.

Can I have a transfer track?
Yes, and it doesn't have to be in the purple area.

Why did the Winter Contest start in halfway October?
The contest runs for 3 months, the length of each season and thus winter, too. In the past we had summer contests running far into September with the final polls in October, and winter contests running far into February, with polls in March. The SSC Contest Agenda shows the approximate timeline for our contests. Now that the Winter Contest ends in Mid-January, the following Top Model and Alternative Top Model can start in February. We need our contests planned in advantage, to avoid any postponing.

Why are there (so many) restrictions?
Whereas Top Model doesn't have restrictions, Summer Heat and Winter Contest have them, to provide you with more of a challenge. When designing in real life you will always we confronted with limitations. By creating a scenario, we introduced these limitations/restrictions, so you can try to more creative.

Does everything have to be within the red area?
Yes. Everything, including track, supports and (custom) trains. You can connect supports to the outer edge of the red area, but that is the limit.

Can part of our coaster go over the big section of the queue line area?
I think you are referring to the path section south of the red area, in that case: no. Everything has to be in the red area. When you cross the path INSIDE the red area, make sure you have enough clearance.

Does the path crossing the red area have to be at ground level?
No, it can be a bridge in the air, but it can also be at ground level, it cannot be underground. If you want track to pass underneath the path, it will have to go either underground or the path has to be high enough to allow any track to go underneath it. Please note that if you make a roof over your path, it cannot hold supports for the actual track.

Do we have to include a queue line and paths?
You HAVE to have a path leading from your station to the border between the red area and the south area south of it. This is a requirement! You also NEED the straight path inside the red area, either at ground level or elevated. This is also a requirement! The blue area south of the red area is an optional area. You can decorate it with pathways and trees, but this is all optional!

Are any types of propulsion not allowed?
You can use chains, tire drives, boosters, anything apart from rockets strapped to your trains. ;)

Can we use non-K'NEX things like paper for the station and the theming?
Yes, you can. You are not meant to cover everything up with paper, though.

Can I use electronic automation on my coaster?
Yes, you can use NXT-based automation, Arduino-based automation, mechanical (K'NEX-built) automation or any other way you can think of. Whether you have automation or not will not change the way we, the staff, look at your entry. Both automated and non-automated entries have equal chance of winning. Your NXT- or Arduino-module can be placed outside the red building area.

Edited by Jogumpie, 04 September 2013 - 02:08 PM.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#2 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Really gump? You had me going that Knex and Cedar Point actually paired up with us. I got excited. I'll try for this one, but I might fail strictly because I won't have enough time.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#3 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

i´ll try but can we send multiple entries?

#4 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'll use my eddy current brakes as my 'creative element' :).

On the map, I think it shows it to be 8 greys' long. You're sure it's 7 right?

Posted Image

#5 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have an awesome design for this!
Can we have 2 stations? Like a Load and Unload Station?
Can we have a transfer track?
Oh, and the pic shows 8 light grays long? Do we follow the pic or you description?
Edit: Well, its 8 light grays long including the path.

Posted Image

#6 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

I really like the idea of this contest. It's earlier than normal for the Winter Contest, it seems more like a Holiday Contest. :D

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#7 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'm actually excited about this. Might be my second to last coaster for a long time, so i'm going to give this one my all.

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#8 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'm not trying to be really snobby and shit but I dislike this year's Winter Contest. I know I will get some backlash like "then don't enter it if you don't like it" but I feel obliged to tell my opinion.

I remember before I was even a member here the real original meaning for the Winter Contest. It was meant to be the opposite of MOTY so that people who were newer builders and had no so many pieces could compete.

The rules were simple such as the space limitation (5x5x5??) and the one where you couldn't build over a certain height. These contests were much easier to enter and I feel are better.

Also this is not the winter. October and November are still Autumn. Heck winter starts on December 22.

Anyways, the new setup is very difficult. There are too many restrictions. Yeah the 7x4x5 is cool but why do we need to have the station in a certain spot? What does that do. It just puts all the coasters in such a cookie cutter format. Then the walkway. Honestly just another attempt to make these coasters seem more realistic. I know I am know for critiquing coasters heavily, but I am also a classicist and would like to see people build because they enjoy it not because they just want to please some people on a website.

What I'm trying to say is that the Winter Contest needs to be changed. People may disagree or agree. I'm just hoping to raise awareness of what the winter contest has become.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:30 PM

I personnaly like it better this way. It makes you be more creative. It makes you think, how will I spread my ride out more while obeying the rules?
Does this include the entire structure, or just the track? Also, do the trains need to fit? Like, if you have custom cars and they poke out a bit is that fine?

Posted Image

#10 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

i´ll try but can we send multiple entries?

That's defeating the purpose of the competition; it's so that each person who enters does the best they can do with the restrictions and that they take their time. Not rush 2 or more coasters in 2 months. It's not the best idea.

^^It seems like you're the only person to really complain or suggest the idea of complaining.

I like the idea of this contest. It reminds me a lot of Orange Rush with how I too was limited yet created a lot of scenery with walkways and all.

My only concern is getting that and my Eurofighter finished before November. I have a good idea, but I hope I can get it completed.

V I meant Blackkitty.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#11 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

How was I complaining?^

Posted Image

#12 kodi43

kodi43

Photographer

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

^ I dont think that he was talking to you, he must of not seen your Post because he was typing.

Also I really like this idea. I cant wait to see how each Person wraps their coaster around the "station area, and the walkway".

Posted Image

#13 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Can part of our coaster go over the big section of the queue line area as long as it has enough clearance?

Posted Image

#14 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

I'm not trying to be really snobby and shit but I dislike this year's Winter Contest. I know I will get some backlash like "then don't enter it if you don't like it" but I feel obliged to tell my opinion.

I remember before I was even a member here the real original meaning for the Winter Contest. It was meant to be the opposite of MOTY so that people who were newer builders and had no so many pieces could compete.

The rules were simple such as the space limitation (5x5x5??) and the one where you couldn't build over a certain height. These contests were much easier to enter and I feel are better.

Also this is not the winter. October and November are still Autumn. Heck winter starts on December 22.

Anyways, the new setup is very difficult. There are too many restrictions. Yeah the 7x4x5 is cool but why do we need to have the station in a certain spot? What does that do. It just puts all the coasters in such a cookie cutter format. Then the walkway. Honestly just another attempt to make these coasters seem more realistic. I know I am know for critiquing coasters heavily, but I am also a classicist and would like to see people build because they enjoy it not because they just want to please some people on a website.

What I'm trying to say is that the Winter Contest needs to be changed. People may disagree or agree. I'm just hoping to raise awareness of what the winter contest has become.

I understand why you might think that, but I disagree. Some people, like myself, enjoy being challenged. It requires a lot more creativity and planning to fit a coaster within these restrictions. I'm really looking forward to seeing more creativity on SSC this winter!

#15 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

Awww Kitty, (that 70s show reference), Winter for me starts when it get cold out. So um, the fall season is very short for me. Like, Thanksgiving is in winter for me.

Posted Image

#16 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

This contest is going to be quite a big challenge. I can´t wait for the creativity that some (probably) have in mind!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#17 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

I have an idea in mind......

#18 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:58 AM

I answered questions in a Q&A section in the first post.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#19 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

Wow, I like this concept, very much like designing things in the real world... toughest part is "creative element"! I'm not very creative!!!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#20 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think I will pospone my flatride for this. I still regret I didn't join the contest last year.

Posted Image