cg55 coaster secret winter

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

More or less since the completion of Basilisk Rail, I have been wanting to be able to truly expand and have space to display My K'nex®. During the summer it has solidified that I could do some major rearranging in the 2nd floor of the museum and take over what had been our Temporary Exhibit Display Room. I was not expecting to have a chance to do things until after Jan 1st 2012. But I had some available time and things went very smoothly and I was able to revamp 3 entire display rooms to empty all of the cases and etc from the room, so that I could have building space.

I now have an empty room to start building a full Amusement Park entirely designed with K'nex®. This will be considered a layout room and I plan to set it up similarly to how I would do a train layout.

The room is not a rectangle but at it's largest points, The walls are 430 inches by 205 inches (35'10" x 17'1" (10.922m x 5.207m)) the room steps from 17 feet wide down to 11 feet wide, so I will have to layout things accordingly.

This project will take a long time (at a minimum a year), but my plans are to keep things interesting and overall allowing for long term flexibility of the rides that can go into the overall layout. I am working on designing a dynamic lighting system for the room, which will allow for a day and night transition in the room. Also, I will be building a 1 foot high support for the entire layout. To allow for protective glass and wiring and etc.

Well this is getting long enough so I will leave everyone with some pictures and update again when I am back to the museum(I am traveling out of town for the week, sorry gang).

The door
6235116343_bdfe1dd9dd_b.jpg

Door open
6235116847_a8b4739c3a_b.jpg

Room from the door
6235638472_684f091ce5_b.jpg

Room looking at the door
6235639022_ba1ccd7cae_b.jpg

Enjoy

PS. Any name ideas for the Park?

Edited by ickus305, 02 February 2017 - 11:43 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Ickus Land. :P

I'm pretty jealous of how much room you'll have! I know that this will turn out to be an amazing thing for you. Good Luck!

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#3 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

omg! do a park at this size will be amazing! also what you think about:
paradise land
drop island
rimrimbow
?

#4 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'd suggest choosing a very cheesy name like "Fantasy Land" or "Fun Town".

I'd be happy to assist in any electronic issues :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

I'd go with something like Joyland Amusements, or like Phantasmic Attractions, cheesy, like Max said.

Posted Image

#6 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

I suggest a woodie for the park.

Posted Image

#7 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

Glad everyone has faith in me :).

The rides and attractions will be released in the construction threads (for the most part, and I do hope to have a diverse selection of rides and attractions).

I am liking this cheesy name route. Any way to incorporate K'nex® or the Toy and Train Museum into it? (though I can not use the name K'nex® directly)

Like "PLastic Building Joyland", ok that is a horrible name, any other suggestions?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

How about "Toy and Train Amusement Park"

Posted Image

#9 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

For the name, I'd do K'nex Fun Town

#10 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

are you going to be able to get your built coasters up and in through that door? If I had know this was going to happen at the time I would have offered Whirlwind up. Wanted to display it but never did, could have fit in a van or big SUV easily ... its apart now. ( am planning at least one woodie this winter)

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#11 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

How about

K'necting Junction or Krazy Trains?? (still working on this name thing)

Well to keep you entertained here is some of the progress.

Posted Image

From the door
Posted Image

From middle of the room
Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Don't forget a hamburger store and things like that.
May sound idiot, but it raises the realism

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#13 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I suggest an International Street with Shops and Stuff, and have the path be where people walk.
Nice layout btw.

Posted Image

#14 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Are Night Fury and Basilisk Rail going to fit there? Since it looks like the bases are crossing eachother ;)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#15 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

^He will probably get his chainsaw and cut some pieces off :).

Posted Image

#16 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Are Night Fury and Basilisk Rail going to fit there? Since it looks like the bases are crossing eachother ;)

-=Tk=-

I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice this :)
Only the black bases overlap. When I move the K'nex® structure the rides will not overlap. Everything will fit just fine.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the tape and that there is more tape on the ground then lines on the diagram. :)

Don't forget a hamburger store and things like that.
May sound idiot, but it raises the realism

I suggest an International Street with Shops and Stuff, and have the path be where people walk.
Nice layout btw.

Already in the game plan. I will have paths and also some games, food, etc. I really hope to have a "skyride" (the ski lift type thing that takes you across the park, have not figure it all out yet). But most of this will done towards the end, when I see how things look and fit, and where I can place things.

I also have some other theming ideas in the works, but I do not want to release everything just yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

Sounds cool! I'd suggest for lighting lamps and such. Also, lighting on the rides is also a plus. Are you going to do queues and everything? I'd like to see a go cart track, which you can probably do.

Posted Image

#18 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Finally got some work done.
Punkrock101 is in for holiday break this week and here is what we accomplished the last two days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hehehe, I know what's going in some of that empty space, coasterwise. :D

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#20 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

I feel like I have done a ton of work, and I have been constantly thinking about this project, but when I look into the room, I feel like I have not done much.

To let you guys know,about 1/4 of structure platform is completed (It was set-up, and has been taken down (will take 10-15 minutes to set back up), so that ladders can be moved easily in the room).

Here is what I did yesterday
I had to remove a piece of the tin ceiling in the drop section. this was done to find out what was there for an anchor for the sub-ceiling. I was hoping for a wooden beam, which was not my luck. After getting covered in Coal soot (The building used to be heated with coal, so it lingers in the places such as the ceiling), I found out it is a steel I-beam, with wood 2x? wrapped around the edges. This makes anchoring slightly more complicated But I have a plan in place.
Also, note, I did not damage the ceiling piece here, simply knocked paint off, which is not a problem, we have matching paint in storage, specifically for things like this.
Posted Image

Thought I would show you the contraption I used today.
*Note, red tape did not move, the grey tape was simply for the picture.
Any one know what I am doing with this?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Now hopefully I can make it to the store to pick up a couple 20' 2x4's, several 16' 2x4's and a ton of 8' 2x4's.

Also, hopeful the my next update, will not be too too far off and that I can show the progression that has evolved.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]