cg55 coaster secret winter

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

It was while you were working on the ceiling how you were able to drink your Cherry Coke, or the red liquid that is in the Coke Bottle that was kept on the floor. If you didn't tell us about the grey tape not being there originally, then I would have guessed you poured it in and kept it like you have it now, but with the same purpose.

Nice to hear there's progress being made. When do you plan to make this available for the public by the way? A few months, a year, two years?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#22 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

You are using it to level things out?

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

umm, definitely not drinking the Red Water (water with red dye to see it better) that is in the tubing and the coke bottle. My dad actually made this set-up in the spring for a project in the back yard so I do not think it would taste very good.

**edit** Yes Max it is a water level. I am using a water level (many times a gallon bucket is used instead of a continuous line) The red tape is the master in which I set my height needed, and then the grey tape was in my hand. I moved around the room, and had someone else watch the master to tell me when the water level was at the line, when it lined up, I made a mark at the water level. I even hung wire off of the lights so I could balance the center of the room. Because of the distances I needed to go a spirit level (the level with tubes with bubbles in it) would not suffice.

As for progress, I am way ahead of schedule actually. I was not planning to even have access to work in the room until Jan 2nd 2012. The public can stand at the door and look in or watch (not allowed in the room, and it is blocked off so the public can not enter, but the door is open so you can see in). I will hopefully have the ceiling,painting, lighting, platform, and then glass put into place (I will have plexi glass up to keep people from touching things) before Mid-May. So that it is fully open to the public for the 2012 Summer Hours (although I may not have all of the K'nex® building completed by that point)
My hope is that From Mid Dec-Mid Jan. Chas (punkrocker) and I will be able to get a large amount of the major work completed while he is on break between semester from college.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 Devious

Devious

SPACE MOUNTAIN

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

OMG that room is huge...... My idea is COASTOPOLIS as the name haha okay cheezy

#25 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

You have to admit, it was a creative answer, but the red liquid is for leveling / determining where the lights are going then??

I don't really have a name, but I know someone is bound to come up with a good one.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#26 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Got Wood?

50 8 foot 2x4
Posted Image

4 20' 2x4
24 16' 2x4
(all of the drop ceiling supplies are in the picture also)
Posted Image

POWER!!
Having the right tools for the job are very important
from top right to bottom left: Hammer drill (for going thru the Brick wall), Impact driver (for brick screws and 3" deck screws), 2 corded 3/8" drills (one for drilling and screws, the other with the bit is for drilling pocket holes), 18V drill with clutch (for putting in pocket hole screws)
Posted Image

the first board onto the wall to hold the ceiling (this is a wall that was made by the museum because of Fire codes for an exit that is on the other side of the wall)
Posted Image

Some progress
have the majority of the outside boards in place, and then also supports and placed the cross supports
Posted Image

Posted Image

Squaring Things off (this is set to help work as a guide for the supports that will hold the center pieces of the ceiling mains. Also the outside wall is not straight or flush, so that is to know where things will "start" when piecing the ceiling together)
Posted Image

Ceiling prep is completed!!
(I have the pieces in place that will hold the weight of the ceiling and distributing the weight out so that I can have a strong square and level ceiling in place with nice light diffusion)
Posted Image

Posted Image

up next is to empty the room, clean the walls, and then P-A-I-N-T

Also, I am cruising even further ahead of schedule now. Even with the early schedule I was not planing to have the majority of the ceiling up until Christmas or New Years and not even have any intentions of Painting until sometime into Jan.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

POWER!!
Having the right tools for the job are very important
from top right to bottom left: Hammer drill (for going thru the Brick wall), Impact driver (for brick screws and 3" deck screws), 2 corded 3/8" drills (one for drilling and screws, the other with the bit is for drilling pocket holes), 18V drill with clutch (for putting in pocket hole screws)
Posted Image

Oh you are such a tease, I'm so jelly of all your tools. I wish I could afford them...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:45 PM

With all those drills, it looks like your going to crack a few safes open!

Anyway it looks great and I'm liking what you have accomplished so far

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#29 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

Nice to hear that you're beyond scheme! I'm curious about the colors that you're going to use!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#30 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

Oh you are such a tease, I'm so jelly of all your tools. I wish I could afford them...

Well, Max I don't mean to tease you too much. I have been making my tool collection for a very long time. I think when I turned 1 or 2 my parents started me with my own tool box. Also the Hilti Hammer drill is not mine. It is property of the company my dad works for and I was allowed to use it for 2 days ( I did 35 holes with one bit, with an impact driver or regular drill I would've burnt a bit ever 2-3 holes (1 bit is $7), so proper tools matter).

With all those drills, it looks like your going to crack a few safes open!

Anyway it looks great and I'm liking what you have accomplished so far

-AsM

Don't give me ideas :)
Thanks I hope you like what I accomplish when things are done also.

Nice to hear that you're beyond scheme! I'm curious about the colors that you're going to use!

-=Tk=-

The wood above the drop ceiling will be painted to match the ceiling so that it blends in (may be a shade or so different do to the age of the already painted tin, and a fresh coat on the wood, but it will be close enough).

The walls will be a blue transition with a dark blue at the bottom and a light blue at the top. The goal is to blend the wall out so that your mind somewhat accepts it as the horizon and ignores it (from picture that I show it maybe a hard task to do, but for visitors that have not seen the process it will happen naturally, it is something that is done for many model layouts (oh and I hate drawn or faked items on the flat walls to make a forced perspective, I think it looks tacky and very rarely looks realistic).

The platform will be black, so that any area I do not cover with K'nex® peices is not noticeable.

Finally, I was leaning towards using RGB LED's for the day night transition, but now I think I am going to use warm and cool White LED's and simply change the number of lights that are on. The Warm and Cool will be used to balance the temp. (colour temp. not actual temp.)of the room, (and I may use a few blue to increase the light at night if needed.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#31 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I know that in Miniatur Wunderland in Germany, the biggest model-railroad ever, they use red, blue, and white lights. They have the most beautiful lighting I've ever seen.
Also, blue lights for at night is very important, because else you are just blinded by all the lights on the coasters, but you can't see the coasters themselves.

#32 william0510

william0510

Construction Worker

• 295 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Where is this even located? I would call it coaster cranium park. Coming up with more names!

If you wouldn't build it with knex, don't build it at all

#33 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I know that in Miniatur Wunderland in Germany, the biggest model-railroad ever, they use red, blue, and white lights. They have the most beautiful lighting I've ever seen.
Also, blue lights for at night is very important, because else you are just blinded by all the lights on the coasters, but you can't see the coasters themselves.

MiWULA is a must if I ever make it across the Atlantic.

My dad is doing most of the set-up for the lighting. Currently he is looking to use 2 arduino with grove shields and then some relays and such, and then something around 24 sections to on and off the lighting which will be LED's (still working on things to figure out exactly what we are going to use and etc.)

Where is this even located? I would call it coaster cranium park. Coming up with more names!

Wheeling, WV

OK here is where I am currently. I had really wanted to use 3 tones of blue and use a paint sprayer so that I could make a nice gradient going from light on top to dark on the bottom. Well, the paint sprayer hates me and did not work (I did a 4x4 square or soo, before all it does now is "spite" blobs and I have done everything I know and I am now done trying to use the sprayer). So I have resorted to a roller, a brush, and a sponge. Reminder I am not done, not in the least, but I want to get some feedback on what you guys thought of the painting so far. (I still need to blend the entire right wall, and also the back wall needs some work still, and of course still need to do the darkest blue on the bottom and then blend it in also).
Just want to get a feel of yes, keep doing what I am doing, or no scrap it and get a new idea.

Posted Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#34 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Dp :(

Painting is done.
Posted Image

Now to put the drop ceiling in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#35 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

That is a nice color!! Are you gonna paint clouds on the ceiling? i think that would be cool.

#36 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

I really like the paint job, now get some of your rides in there :)!

Posted Image

#37 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

Someone's doing a great job. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#38 Maverix

Maverix

Aieght

• 2281 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

This has the potential to be one of the greatest projects this site has seen I think. I can't wait to see it all come together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 10 Coasters:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Storm Runner 4. Millennium Force 5. Gatekeeper
6. Diamondback 7. Manta 8. Wild Eagle 9. Thunderhead 10. Apollos Chariot

#39 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

Wow, came back yesterday, to this!!

This entire project blows my mind, your ideas are fantastic and this whole project looks great already! Keep up the great work, its amazing!!

#40 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

wow very good job i can't wait to see this finish

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]