Hedgehog (update 3/4/15)

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#21 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

Wow this looks awesome. Are you going to use a spinning car?

#22 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

^ Did you read the captions on his pictures?

Nice job so far. And I'm guessing that it shakes a whole lot when a train goes through it? :P

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#23 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:49 AM

^ I'm considering spamming if we don't get to 25 this update. ;)

Post people!!!

Spamming? Challenge accepted.

Posted Image

#24 sathothy

sathothy

Architect

• 823 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

^ Did you read the captions on his pictures?

Yes i readed this:"I do plan to use this car set-up for the cars''.
But i did not know of that was meaned to be that he uses 1 car on the coaster or keep the car the way it is.

(coment for collors everyone)

#25 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Of course I am very interested in seeing your project in full-color.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#26 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Who knows, maybe he brought his colorschemeing to a next level, and is this already full-color!

#27 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

And the post you have all been waiting for...

But first to respond to the other posts.

Wow, that looks really nice James. Absolutely solid.

thanks

Looking good! It appears your building this in your amusement park room, am I right?

Nope building in the same place as NF and BR just different corner. This things fits thru doors when turned side ways so I have been moving it around.

Yay a new coaster from Ickus! The only thing is so far it is pretty generic, i wish someone would do something different with mouse coasters.

a lot of mouse rides in real life start similar. Though I do know of a few that are different, but I wanted to build something that was somewhat generic because I think it will look good with the other rides that way.

Really nice-looking supports. They look strong enough to hold the track, but do they budge at all when the train hangs a corner?

EDIT: Darn you and your scrambled picture URLs...

watch the video below and you be the judge :)

Wow this looks awesome. Are you going to use a spinning car?

nope the cars will be just like the one you see in the picture. (I do hope to possibly use more then one car, still have to sit down and figure out that.)

and now full color pictures.
NO I DID NOT PAINT ANYTHING
Yes those are GREY FLEXIES IN THE TURNS

The front view
Posted Image

some over views
Posted Image
Posted Image

and a close up
Posted Image

The video

Hope you enjoyed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

EPIC! Where do you get all these parts from?

#29 coastercrazy10

coastercrazy10

Mad Scientist

• 7008 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm surprised you didn't use the purple flexis from the SS, but I guess the colors wouldn't quite match up. Looks very nice!

-Ben

SSCoasters Staff | The SSCoasters Forum Rules
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign | Computer Science & Mathematics
Posted Image
Fireball | Kingda Ka | Inclination | Diamondback

#30 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1483 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

yes,i guessed it right!

#31 kid26120

kid26120

Construction Foreman

• 212 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

I just hope for a custom car. Or at least painted.
x)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 Blitz Kid 900

Blitz Kid 900

Construction Worker

• 100 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Awesome layout dude. The turns are epic!

Signature removed

#33 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

WHAAAATTT???????????
The colors are nuts. What is next, rainbow crossties with brown track and red flexies? You always amaze me with your ability to find the rarest colors for track. When are you going to use normal colors?

Automation is my specialty

If only I had more space/pieces/time.

#34 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Why didn't I think of blue... Oh well. Looks awesome! can't wait for this to be finished!

#35 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

I knew the colors where the same :P
Awesome flexies! You amaze me every time!

Nice turns

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#36 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

I just noticed that you are building your turns using a radius of somewhere around a red rod length. Your turns are perfectly round and minimal speed-loss. My turns are build on a yellow rod size and don't have the support in the middle of the turn which makes them a little flat.

As Steel said, I can't understand how the most basic track strengtheners can hold up that car. Mine are much more bold and still bow a little under the coaches... While they are of course a tad heavier as they have K'NEX pieces all over them.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

No critiques or criticism yet? Is everyone feeling ok?
I can not believe how much I have gotten done on this is a short amount of time. I do not have enough bright blues to finish the base currently so I am going to use the metallics until I have enough bright blues to replace them out. Also, I need to work on the station all of the catwalks, and of course figure out some sort of a system so that I can run more then one car on the circuit.

EPIC! Where do you get all these parts from?

They come from a blue 425 piece tub. (I think it is 34119, I'll look it up tomorrow when I have the instructions in my hand and let you know.) 50 BLue ties come in, and also a decent amount of yellow 3D's come in it.

I'm surprised you didn't use the purple flexis from the SS, but I guess the colors wouldn't quite match up. Looks very nice!

-Ben

Purple would not match the color scheme. lol (I figure I will use the purple flexies when I build using the green x-ties and purple tubing)

yes,i guessed it right!

yes you did.

I just hope for a custom car. Or at least painted.
x)

Probally neither of the above. I plan to use the SS car and the Storm Mountian Car

Awesome layout dude. The turns are epic!

Thanks

WHAAAATTT???????????
The colors are nuts. What is next, rainbow crossties with brown track and red flexies? You always amaze me with your ability to find the rarest colors for track. When are you going to use normal colors?

Brown track, and rainbow, that sounds gross. Too bad there are not any rainbow cross ties. I am using somewhat normal colors on ReAction (yellow cross ties). Though I will be using standard colours, as I have a bunch of them.

Why didn't I think of blue... Oh well. Looks awesome! can't wait for this to be finished!

Thanks

I knew the colors where the same :P
Awesome flexies! You amaze me every time!

Nice turns

Thanks

I just noticed that you are building your turns using a radius of somewhere around a red rod length. Your turns are perfectly round and minimal speed-loss. My turns are build on a yellow rod size and don't have the support in the middle of the turn which makes them a little flat.

As Steel said, I can't understand how the most basic track strengtheners can hold up that car. Mine are much more bold and still bow a little under the coaches... While they are of course a tad heavier as they have K'NEX pieces all over them.

Max, the hard part to each turn was trying to make sure to keep the turn going down hill, instead of making it flat. Also even with the turn size, there is some slight hitting of the ties in each turn.

The car is pretty heavy (I glued 28g under it, and used a lot of hot glue, also I plan to put some people in the cars). Though the track support is really strong. There are 5 rods going across the lengths, and also using the little black clip to secure the rods end to end is a big help. Another benefit is that having the turn supports helps to keep the track in place also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I now have a complete circuit.
Next up is to re-enforce the supports a little more, They sway just a bit more then I would like.
Also, I need to adjust the chain dogs Currently they are not reliable enough).
Also, need to continue to tweak the station and the timing release (It works, it is reliable, but the cars are slanted, and I want them balanced).
Finally, need to do all of the theming. (station, ques, catwalk (lift, and flats) stairs on the supports to get to the catwalks, and of course LIGHTS, and The cars are going to get some paint and/or graphics and people.)

Enough BS for now. Here are some pictures

Top Over View
Posted Image

Side over view
Posted Image

The station mech to time and space the cars (please ignore the blue rubber bands, intitially I had 3 timing arms, disliked those so switched to 4 individuals wheels and 1 timing arm, disliked that and then just went with the 1 long band and 1 timing arm, and did not take the time to remove the other bands yet)
Posted Image

Ending
Posted Image

Some fun shots with the wide angle lens

Far away
Posted Image

Coming at you
Posted Image

And because I know someone might ask here is a video

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#39 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

I mayby be the only one but i dont really like it. I think you rushed it up.

Posted Image

#40 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

Wow, this is pretty cool. Nice little coaster. I love the color scheme. My only suggestion is maybe speed up the station a bit to maybe have another car going at the same time?