first post. hyper coaster knex overbank screamin serpent

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#81 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

That looks awesome! The flow is really good! See if you can go without a booster. Let's see how far you'll go!

#82 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Good change. Do not add a booster, you have height enough to do something else with the lay-out.
The shaping and supporting look excellent, I like it a lot. ;)

Posted Image

#83 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Some people make VV look very good, but still I wouldn't buy it ;). Excellent work on this one so far, but please do not add a booster!

Posted Image

#84 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

If you're going to add a booster, I would suggest putting it in a tunnel or something.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#85 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

great tunnel! Your great at making these. :D

Thanks!

That looks awesome! The flow is really good! See if you can go without a booster. Let's see how far you'll go!

I'll try without a booster! :D

Good change. Do not add a booster, you have height enough to do something else with the lay-out.
The shaping and supporting look excellent, I like it a lot. ;)

Thanks a lot :)

Some people make VV look very good, but still I wouldn't buy it ;). Excellent work on this one so far, but please do not add a booster!

I will try to complete without a booster! :)

#86 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

I like your layout plans so far, just as i like the layout so far ;) Nice and realistic flow on this one so far, it is very unique in it's own way, and that's what i like :)

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#87 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

I like your layout plans so far, just as i like the layout so far ;) Nice and realistic flow on this one so far, it is very unique in it's own way, and that's what i like :)

-=Tk=-

Thanks!

Update!

I've been busy making custom cars, but they are very slow. I've also tested with normal k'nex trains and a single car. The results:
- Custom train: Does not make the overbank, just reaches 1/2 of the overbank's height.
- Normal k'nex 3-car train (weighted): Almost makes the overbank, lacks 3 cm of height there.
- Single k'nex car (weighted): Makes the overbank.

Here are some pics of the custom cars:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The custom train is slightly weighted in the middle (full weighting is not possible, there is almost no space underneath the cars :( )

Does anyone know how to solve this speed problem?

Please help!

#88 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

the only solution that I could think of is a booster. Right at the bottom of the first drop.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#89 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Scrap the custom cars. Just don't use a boostr it would ruin the "feel" of it.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#90 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Did you try supporting it better? Does it shake? If it does, that may be why it won't make it.
If it doesn't, do you have extra cars to put on it? This could help too. If you have no choice but to use a booster, place it somewhere we couldn't see it and couldn't tell it was there.
Before I forget, did you try to get the maximum height out of as many elements as possible? This seems to help with speed issues.
Sorry for not posting something helpful before.

I know this is a hyper, but the way the custom train looks it sort of looks like a stand-up.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#91 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

-Tell it to work (usually works for me, I'm not kidding :P )

Yeah, I'm sure it does...

#92 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

I've said before that I think the VV cars are the hardest to work with. My only advice is to maybe try graphite. Here is the kind I've used once. You just puff n' stuff on the axles and wipe off the wheels. I've only applied it to one car when I attempted a Eurofighter about a year ago and it made an improvement. It increased speed and made the car even louder :P . I've never applied it to a whole train, and I'd hate to ruin that custom train, it looks really nice.

... If you discover a lube technique that's proven effective, you'd be the first :D

#93 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:43 AM

I've said before that I think the VV cars are the hardest to work with. My only advice is to maybe try graphite. Here is the kind I've used once. You just puff n' stuff on the axles and wipe off the wheels. I've only applied it to one car when I attempted a Eurofighter about a year ago and it made an improvement. It increased speed and made the car even louder :P . I've never applied it to a whole train, and I'd hate to ruin that custom train, it looks really nice.

... If you discover a lube technique that's proven effective, you'd be the first :D

What is this action of puff n' stuff? I'm unfamiliar with it.

have you pledged? That might just give you the 3 cm. If not do you have another car?

#94 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

the only solution that I could think of is a booster. Right at the bottom of the first drop.

I'll try without booster firstly :)

Scrap the custom cars. Just don't use a boostr it would ruin the "feel" of it.

Ok!

Hmm... here's my ideas: (all are separate)
-add extra supports
-add more cars
-Tell it to work (usually works for me, I'm not kidding :P )

More cars makes it go slower somehow. And I have told it so many times to work, but it doesn't :'(

Thanks! I will try it! :)

What is this action of puff n' stuff? I'm unfamiliar with it.

have you pledged? That might just give you the 3 cm. If not do you have another car?

It is pledged yet. And more cars make the ride slower :(

Small update.

I changed the entire turnaround. It now looks more like the one on Wodan, it just goes down. That gave me a lot more speed, but not enough yet. :(

Some pictures:
Posted Image
Overview

Posted Image
Changed turnaround

Posted Image

Posted Image
New drop

Posted Image
Height the trains get at this moment. The blue car is my fastest car, I could not get it go higher than this.

Posted Image
Height the custom train got before the new turnaround. (forget that blue car at this point, I did not re-place it to its old height)

If anyone has more suggestions, tell me! :)

#95 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have no idea why the train doesn't make it. Sorry, but this is something voor VV builders to figure out. ;)

Posted Image

#96 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Just like Helmer, I have no experience with VV. But if I'm right that the VV cars are connected with rubber bands, it will be highly probable that it causes speed loss since the cars will wobble forwards and backwards a bit. Could this be one source of your speed problem?

Posted Image

#97 Micronex

Micronex

Another piece for my collection

• 1270 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I would try silicone spray, it's what I used to get Meitnerium's cars to clear the Immelmann, and Firefly's cars to stop stalling on the corkscrew.

#98 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I wouldn't normally suggest this, or post this much now, but you seem desperate! I woud suggest what Micro'nexer said, and if that doesn't work, just make that element shorter. It may be the only way.

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#99 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I don't know if this works in the netherlands, but you can order free car connectors from K'nex you know. That might solve the rubberband problem.

#100 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

you can order free car connectors from K'nex you know.

You can? I've never seen them in the United States.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305