Comet Recreation (Almost complete 4/1/17)

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#81 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yeah sorry about that. I should have straightened it before taking the picture :-)

#82 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Hehe, SSC has grown into nit picky bastards when it comes to great models :P

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#83 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Small update. Working on incorporating the station into the coaster and getting all the mechanicals working. Needed a rear chain dog. Came up with something new.

Posted Image

So happy with it I made a tutorial.

http://www.sscoaster...ro-parts-15452/

Thanks a lot for featuring this coaster even though it has been under construction for over a year. It will be finished!!!

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#84 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Looks very nice! Always cool to see a new take on something.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#85 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wow it's been a long time!

As I've said many times, I only get a little bit of time every once in a great while to work on this coaster. I think about it all the time because it takes up a good chunk of my living room. I've been working out a lot of little details related to the station, brake run, lift, switch track etc. It's really tough because the infield of this coaster is really crowded and the scale of Knex track is just so big for this size recreation.

Anyway... Last major update I finished building the station. Here it is in place in the coaster. You can also see the service track next to the station that sits over the motors for the lift. You can also see there has been a lot of modification to the turn around the station. I've put full cross supports inside the structure wherever I could and came up with a really strong way to add some lateral ties that really stiffen the entire structure and make it look a lot like the real coaster. I also opened up the lower half of the inside of the turn structure to allow more banking in the lower turn which will look better and should help save speed.

Ignore the track work in these photos, most of it is not even connected to the structure any more and will all be redone sometime soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some details of the lateral radius supports.

Posted Image

Note that this is all tied into the turn structure. The center two radii extend almost to the center of the turn and go all the way to the platform top, all the diagonals in them provide a very strong anchor point to the rest of the radii

Posted Image

I built a switch track that will let me move trains onto the service track and back. This will make maintaing the trains much easier. Everything is just long enough for me to move 6 car trains to and from the service track (although only plan to run 5 car trains when done) I gave up trying to make this automated, it just wasn't worth it since handling the trains is going to be hands on anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind of hard to see but there is red rod that slides through the middle hole in the cross ties that locks the switch in to either position. The orange ladder and one-way connector make a little handle to slide it in and out.

Posted Image

The pivot mechanism is very low tech. I built a little shuttle section of track and put spacers on the bottom 3 rods to act as rollers. Then I built a flat platform for it to slide on.

Posted Image

Pivot end of the shuttle car is held in with one small grey rod.

Posted Image

I made so many modifications to this part of the coaster. You can see how tight it all is. The bridge where the final run crosses underneath the entire coaster had to be thin, that limited how far I could extend the brake run and where the switch track could be. The station is about a granite rod lower than the brake run. Here is the bridge between the brake and switch tracks. (ignore the pile of parts in front of it, that's just all debris from the many modifications)

Posted Image

Looking down the brake run

Posted Image

General over-view. I'm trying to define all the station and infield sections with the yellow rails. Note the lift will be much higher, I only built enough of it to test all the mechanics and the run out is just a place to collect trains after tests.

Posted Image

I feel like most of the really hard part of this is behind me now. I can now start working on the track again. My plan is to reshape everything that is there and then beef up the turn on the other end of the coaster to have similar radii supports. That will give me the last two thirds of the circuit. At that point I plan to connect the abbreviated lift hill to the 3rd turn to get a temporary complete circuit. Then I'll focus on getting the electronics and automation working. Once the shortened circuit is working I'll add the first 3rd of the circuit, including the big turnaround that will go on an extension to the platform I have now (and it will then have to be partially in my dining room as well as a good chunk of the living room!)

I actually think I might finish this winter!

#86 TheCodeMaster

TheCodeMaster

Resident Nolimits 2 Expert

• 761 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Amazing. Just Amazing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[18-07, 09:16] SCM: I only see 14 inversions. There's supposed to be 14 inversions.

STEEL VENOM - DRAGON - JAWHARP - ARMAGEDDON - ICE - CEREBUS - DIABLO - STEEL VENOM - THE REVENGE - CLIFFHANGER - FALCON - SMILER - ALTON TOWERS

Construction zone:

None

#87 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

Your way of building is intriguing. ^_^

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#88 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Wow. It's been a while but well worth the update. The effort gone into this deserves many tags that unfortunately don't exist.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#89 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Amazing. Just Amazing.

Thanks!

Your way of building is intriguing. ^_^

Not sure how to interpret .... hope you are intrigued in a good way. Most of it is out of necesity because of the nature of this recreation, trying to fit so much into so little space. With so much in the infield and at the bottom, building from the ground up is the only way to go and that lends itself to building the circuit backwards. And some of it is just plain over-engineering from spending more time looking and thinking about the model than actually building.

If you mean the actual way pieces are used/combined, don't know what to say. I've learned everything from studying the builds of more experienced members like yourself.

One thing I think this has in common with most of your builds is that it is made up of major components that are assembled as modules. Part of this is due to only having time to work on small pieces at a time and mostly because it is just good engineering practice. The bigest module is the middle structure that includes the lift hill and brake run and eventually will have the first big hill following the first turn (not currently in the model but is mostly built and stored under the platform). This structure is not connected to the two turns on either end of the model in any way. Each turn is stand alone, the straight runs between them wil be easily separated. The station is actually 2 pieces, the mechanical part and the deck/roof, which are only connected in 3 places. There is no link between the station and the turn it is buried under or the rest of the coaster other than the track connection to the pre-lift turn, which itself iis a stand alone module that is also connected to the bottom of the lift hill with one small track connection. The final run under the lift is independant structure. All of these peices are attached with only a few simple connections. Even the service track and swtich track are self contained and easily removed for modification. I know I will need to get in to some of the mechanical stuff buried in here at some point. I've already had to replace all the rubber bands in the chain tensioners because they dried out and cracked/spilt. Whenever this is complete it should be fairly straight forward to move. I still have not found a place for it but hope to find somewhere interested in displaying it.

Wow. It's been a while but well worth the update. The effort gone into this deserves many tags that unfortunately don't exist.

hmmmm, again, hope this was meant in a positive way....

#90 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

hmmmm, again, hope this was meant in a positive way....

It definitely was. ;)

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#91 ZachCreate

ZachCreate

i am very exciting...

• 343 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yay! Looking Good! (In a Good Mood!) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#92 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

The coaster looks really nice and compact. I like all the details, especially on the mechanics.

Posted Image

#93 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Incredible. I love the transfer track, and how the tubing actually bends with it. You're capturing the essence of this type of coaster very well.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#94 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Since my last update I've got quite a bit done.

I re-did the track work of the turn over the station. I am happy with the way it came out. I also added blocking to the radial supports and did a lot of little details to further stiffen the entire structure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Entry of the turn over the bottom of the lift hill

Posted Image

Once I got that done I was ready to move to the other end and work on the final turn before the brake run. First I re-did much of the structure and built radial ties similar to the other turn. The details are different but the concept is the same. This really ties the whole turn together and results in a very stable and stiff structure. This was really important because so much of the structure of these turns is compromised everything that has to be built under them. I used normal sized ball joints but they will be replaced with large ones once I get a purchase in the mail. These smaller ones are not as strong,

Posted Image

I built up enough of the pull out of first drop and the pull in of the first hill so I won't have to build a lot of that structure later and to give me a rough idea where the track for that will be once I get to that part.

Posted Image

Exit of the turn into the brake run

Posted Image

This is where the first drop passes under this turn.

Posted Image

And this is where the valley of the drop after the first turn passes under it.

Posted Image

Entry of the turn after air hilll exiting the tunnel under the lift hill

Posted Image

Exit into the brake run

Posted Image

Better look at the whole turn

Posted Image

This is the split of the hill structure where the return from the first turn joins the lift hill structure. Look close and you can see how the diagonals of each branch are all tied into the main structure and the horizontal rods alternate from one branch to the other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overviews of entire project. The two things sticking up from the middle are my current estimates of the peaks of the lift hill and first hill. Hopefully they wont have to get much higher or the steepness of the hills will be way out of scale for the coaster. The train completes the circuit I have so far with very little initial speed and I have not cleaned or lubed it in years. Now I am going to build enough of the lift hill to create a temporary complete circuit and then I am going to start putting the electronics in place and start working on the control software before building the first 1/3 of the full circuit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by pkiknex25, 15 October 2013 - 02:44 PM.
Fixed image tag

#95 griffon14

griffon14

Drum line captain

• 1517 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

This is one of my favorite builds ever. Seeing this is the leading reason I've not sold my k'nex. I can't wait for the day when I'm settled down and can build something like this in my house.

Future member of the UNCC Drumline

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intimidator 305
Milf - Maverick - TTD - Dimondback - Griffon - Intimidator - Alpengist - Dominator - Thunderhead

#96 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks! Appreciate the comment.

#97 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

Added some height tonight

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Ha! The third picture is epic!

#99 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

I love how much detail is in this model. I'm looking forward to the final video :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#100 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

thanks ....

some of those many green rods had make way for...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image