Ya I'd say the first hill is a little low as well

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#22 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I shall subscribe to this thread.

You might not want that box support right in the middle of the hill. The track below is going to go where that support is.

EDIT: V It wouldn't look as clean. He already took that support out anyways.

^ Make it go through the support? That would be cool.

Support is gone.

Hmm, shaping is perfect, but I'm a little bit worried about the height. From pictures you can tell that the first hill is about half of the height of the lift, and that's what you have right now. Assuming that you also have to place another hill beneath this one it looks a bit low, because there should be enough clearance and then the second hill would get very low. Rising the first hill a granite or two wouldn't be a problem I guess :).

Ya I'd say the first hill is a little low as well

I think I'll be able to get a hill about 1 granite shorter than the 2nd, so the height should be fine. You can judge by these pictures.

Okay guys, this has been the most challenging part so far. The turn wasn't that bad, but the transition into the 3rd hill has been giving me a major headache. Tell me what you think.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another completely pointless test vid with 1 car. The speed is so excessive I can't tell if extra cars make a difference, so I'll add them once 1 car doesn't make it through the layout. I know the speed will eventually die down.
Posted Image

#23 Treeko890coastr

Treeko890coastr

Dark Explorers!

• 879 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thats one smoooooooth turn, I have no critques:)

I am a stegosaurus!
Signature removed as it was larger than limit.
My coasters:
Jaws,Overheat,Mine Train

#24 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

That looks fine dude. The first pointless one car test actually made me laugh for a minute or two.

Posted Image

#25 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

I think you can pull this ride off seeing how you pulled off I305 i would try a fresh lubed train with the amount of cars you will be using (maybe a weighted one also) and see how your speed is then before you go on and maybe raise the first hill up more. i would also add as many supports to those turns and make sure NO part of it moves at all to keep as much speed as possible.

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#26 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

This looks like a hard ride to recreate. I wish you luck as you work on this ride! What you have looks great, it is very smooth.

#27 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

I would suggest not using a weighted train. I remember CC10 posted somewhere that a low to the ground coaster should use little to no weight at all, while a very hilly and long coaster should use more amounts of weight.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#28 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Seeing as how the stengel will be the most complex and challenging element of the ride so far, I want to make sure I line it up correctly before building it. So tell me if the turn doesn't look like it'll cross over the pullout of the 1st drop at the right spot, or if there are any other problems with it because I want this to be as good as possible.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Looks good so far! Still just hoping you can pull it off.

Overview if you want/need one:
http://en.wikipedia....k_path.jpg#file

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#30 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

^Thanks.

None of the shaping here is final, there are a few places I need to fix up. I just wanted to see if I could get the stengel lined up right, so I put a crosstie supported by 2 gray rods...what do you think? Oh, I also included a not-so-pointless test video (still with one car). I think the speed situation isn't so bad yet, considering that 1 car will probably make it all the way through the stengel dive, but the hardest part is yet to come.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Well after a bit of searching for a good picture to compare this to... i think you need to bank near the top of the hill more(from what i see in pictures it is like that) the rest looks fine to me.

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#32 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Do you ever sleep?! I can't believe how fast you're building this. You and Jumpge...I dunno man. Haha, but really - impressive work.

#33 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

I totally agree with st33l about how fast you're building this coaster! Your shaping is really going forward, it's starting to become very good! It's great what you have there, and i hope that you won't have any speed problems.

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#34 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

Scott, I'll take a look at some pictures to check. Do you mean the 2nd airhill that goes under the first?

^ and ^^ thanks, and actually I haven't been sleeping as much lately. Really, every once in a while, a coaster really sucks me in and I can't stop building.

Anyway, I have a question: how tall should the last buckel/twisty be? (the one that starts at :44 in this video SkyRush Front Seat on-ride HD POV Hersheypark - YouTube)

The reason I ask is because that element will serve as the benchmark for how much speed I need to conserve. With the twisty before it relatively low to the ground, the next twist will be hard to get the train over.

And for reference, the height of each preceding element is this:
Lift-12 yellows
2nd hill-5 yellows
3rd hill-4 yellows
Stengel dive-4 yellows
1st twisty-???(probably will be 1.5 yellows)
2nd twisty-???

And the rest depends on how high the 2nd twisty is. I'm predicting somewhere around 2.5 yellows. Ideas?

#35 -=TK=-

-=TK=-

Building maniacs

• 2753 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I guess 2.5 yellows is a good height for that 2nd twisty. Great job on this one so far!!

-=Tk=-

Posted Image

#36 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

For some reason I'm looking at your drop, and there's something about the shaping of the 2nd half I can't put my finger on that doesn't look right. I'm not sure that it pulls out from the lift too quickly or the backbone of Skyrush's lift is creating the false-image of your attempt to be too steep of a drop. Looks great and I can't wait to eventually look back in a year and see who's Skyrush looks better. :P

Judging from how tall the track for the stengel dive is, it's not going to be a very big one, but it looks to be set up fine so far.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#37 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

I guess 2.5 yellows is a good height for that 2nd twisty. Great job on this one so far!!

-=Tk=-

Thanks!

For some reason I'm looking at your drop, and there's something about the shaping of the 2nd half I can't put my finger on that doesn't look right. I'm not sure that it pulls out from the lift too quickly or the backbone of Skyrush's lift is creating the false-image of your attempt to be too steep of a drop. Looks great and I can't wait to eventually look back in a year and see who's Skyrush looks better. :P

Judging from how tall the track for the stengel dive is, it's not going to be a very big one, but it looks to be set up fine so far.

I don't know about the drop, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the spine. If you can tell me a specific detail that needs to be fixed I'll be sure to do it. And you're gonna do a Skyrush recre? Sounds awesome, but this is definitely not an easy coaster.

Anyway, I continued building the turn. This was definitely the hardest element to do, and even now I'm not sure its perfect. What do you think? I also included a test video with 3 cars, be sure to comment on the speed too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

Sky(rush)? Is that why you're getting it done so fast?
I'm on my phone so I can't compare it to the real thing.

#39 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

There is a large straight spot in the last picture, so just round that out. Other than that, looking pretty fine my friend! You build faster than me I see!
So I've calculated that if we together were to build an exact recreation of CCI and PKI's Diamondback, we could finish it in about... meh, 4 days.

Posted Image

#40 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 325 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

^ yes but you would have something to copy off of, that would make shaping easy

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pictures, posting