looper maelstrom

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sonicriders789

sonicriders789

Construction Foreman

• 267 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

ok. reading the title i know the first thing that comes to mind is hating gays. I honestly think that the gays need to calm the firetruck down. Me being gay, i respect how they don't support gay marriage. SO WHAT! it is their opinion on it. Being a gay man, i have always wanted my opinions to be respected, so why not respect other peoples opinions? all we want is to be accepted. So who cares if a restaurant hates gays. All your life you have dealt with opinions, both good and bad and all the sudden BAM a restaurant doesn't support you? so you riot and take pictures of you kissing in front of their restaurant? thats like straight people going and taking pics of kissing in front of a restaurant that supports gays. I know this sound ilk i am supporting Chic fil a, but i honestly don't care. Who cares? if they come to your door and verbally abuse you thats one thing but if they just support gay hate and they have never said anything personal to you as an individual, get the fuck over it. Opinions?

#2 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Mmm, I disagree. I can't seem to respect intolerance. The whole situation also proves there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#3 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

No clue where this came from O.o

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 CowmanBearPig

CowmanBearPig

In The begining....

• 533 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

This post is not meant to offend anyone!

Chick-fil-a is a primarily Christian work place, as you know people disagree with Gay marrige because it isnt the way "God intended it." I honestly doubt that all of the workers at every chick-fil-a are againsted Gay marrige, who knows some of the workers may not be openly gay...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current Project

Launched Coaster

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

The thing that baffles me is how this has been turned into such a big deal over gay marriage rights. The CEO (Dan Cathy) only stated his personal commitment to supporting "the family — the biblical definition of the family unit." It's been somehow twisted so that many people think the entire company is against gays.

It's also ironic that while some gay rights activists are trying to make the restaurant chain look like "the bad guy" and saying that Christians are being hypocritical by hating on gays, some of them are using hateful tactics like boycotting or aggression. But that's only a small minority of gay activists, and is in no way a representation of the entire community. So I think that most people on either of the issue are being generalized and accused of things they don't necessarily believe in.

#6 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Honestly, who the hell cares what the CEO of a company says or thinks. He has the right to free speech and the whole incident is really just the media blowing this out of proportion like they usually do. It will be old news in a few days when they find something else to obsess on.

#7 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

hateful tactics like boycotting

Boycotting is not hateful, it's peaceful protest.

Although I do agree that some anti-chic protestors do look like hypocrites with things like aggressiveness and vandalism.

#8 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

The first thing that needs to be brought to light is that nowhere in the Bible are gays condemned for being gay. Instead, the Bible condemns homosexual acts. There's nothing sinful about a gay or lesbian couple getting married and starting a family as long as they do not act on their desires. It's a huge misinterpretation by many many Christians as well as plain old ignorance.

I do think that everybody is entitled to their freedom of speech. People have a right to voice that they accept homosexuality and others have a right to voice that they are against it. It's their opinion on the matter, and if it's what they believe, then it's what they believe.

I personally am for gay rights because it doesn't affect me at all. I am not gay, so two gays getting married poise no threat to me at all. I also know a decent amount of gay people and they are no different than straight people aside from their sexual orientation. They're not monsters or possessed by the devil and have the ability to contribute to society.

I do feel that the whole Chic Fil A deal is ridiculous. It's a fast food place - I go there to eat food, not debate politics. Their political views do not come in the food they serve and they do not hand out propaganda on their trays, cups, containers, etc. I eat at a restaurant for their food and only that(well, maybe monetary value as well, but that's irrelevant).

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#9 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Seems a bit like Henry Ford, he was quite the anti-Semite, but who the hell brings that up now? The whole fuss will die out sooner or later...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Eh, corporations should leave their personal beliefs out of business so crap like this doesn't occur. Plenty of ways to avoid giving an answer to a question.

#11 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

Slight bump but...

Chick-Fil-A's CEO claims to be acting on "biblical principles", but let me ask this: Why does his restaurant serve bacon and sausage (Lev. 11:8), and why does his online merchandise store have sweaters made of both cotton and polyester (Lev. 19:19)? I guess he's just operating on a bible that he wrote himself, huh?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

#12 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Those two principles you referenced from Leviticus are part of the "old covenant". Early on, God gave Israel a very specific list of things that were clean and unclean - called ceremonial laws. He did this to set apart Israel from other nations, protect them from other idolatrous practices (i.e. food that had been sacrificed to false gods), and to show them that obedience to Him penetrates every facet of life. Above all, He wanted the Israelites to trust Him and obey Him even when He didn't provide specific reasons for His laws.

When Jesus was incarnated, sacrificed, and resurrected, God did away with the old covenant and instituted a new covenant. The old covenant included the Law, which was only intended to show people their sin and their need for a Savior, rather than provide a means for salvation (Rom. 3:20). The old covenant required animal sacrifices, which would provide a temporary payment for each person's sins. With the new covenant, Jesus's own sacrifice is a permanent payment for the sins of those who accept it, since He lived a perfect life. Also, God 'put His laws into their minds and wrote them on their hearts.'

When He said "a new covenant", He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

- Heb. 8:13

Those laws were specifically given to Israel in its cultural context, but no longer apply today.

#13 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

The thing that baffles me is how this has been turned into such a big deal over gay marriage rights. The CEO (Dan Cathy) only stated his personal commitment to supporting "the family — the biblical definition of the family unit." It's been somehow twisted so that many people think the entire company is against gays.

The problem isn't that just the CEO is against gays. It's that the company donates large sums of money to anti-gay groups:

In 2009 WinShape (The covert name of Chick-fil-a's charity arm) donated $12,500 To Focus On The Family. FOF has been listed as an anti-gay group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). Among the scores of anti-gay commentaries on their website is an essay by their founder that states.. "Moms and Dads, are you listening? This movement is the greatest threat to your children. It is of particular danger to your wide-eyed boys, who have no idea what demoralization is planned for them." "the homosexual agenda is a beast. It wants our kids."

That's a pretty defamatory statement. One that fuels fear, hatred and ridicule. judging from the organizations that Chick-fil-a supports, it's pretty safe to say that they believe gays are lesser humans.

Some other insight, which I agree with:

The whole rabbit hole about what you call it (marriage vs. civil union) is irrelevant. It's simpler than that. The fact is that if my gay friends get married, it doesn't change the marriage to my wife, how much I love her or what my relationship is with God or Her or whatever. The "redefine marriage" thing is a thinly veiled attempt to validate something people don't like when they have no dignified argument left. I love the suggestion, "If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married."

This moron running Chick-fella is free to believe whatever he wants, and say whatever he wants. That's the American way. He's also free to have the company donate money to organizations that actively practice discrimination against other human beings. The law is on his side in these respects.

However, practicing this douchebaggery comes with consequences. History does not look kindly on people who attempt to oppress another group of people. That has nothing to do with the law... basic human respect transcends law.

Only in the case of Chick-fil-A, it does, because the opposition is paired with money intended to lobby for laws that impose the belief on others. It has been said a hundred times already on here, but no one cares if you want to believe and say what you do. Imposing that opposition on others is oppression, and that's what we take issue with.

All quotes taken from the ongoing discussion on Pointbuzz.com (Cedar Point has a CFA next to maverick, forum is discussing on whether they should remove it or not)

I should also add this: by supporting gay marriage, you are not being intolerant of religions. By legalizing gay marriage, you are not forcing the religious to get married to a member of the same sex.

Besides, if all gays are supposedly going to hell anyways, why can't they just leave them be? It seem to me that they are trying to justify their own insecurities with religion.

#14 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

OK...

Well, I'm gay, and Catholic, and every Sunday when I go to church, the priest normally speaks about "The war we are facing to protect our rights". I am also told that I have a special place and Hell for me... Thanks mister priest man that is supposed to help me become closer to God...

I just wanna say:

1. If I DO get married... Why the f*** would I do it in a Catholic Church? NO ONE IN THERE RIGHT MIND WOULD.

2. I still go to Chick-Fil-A, and I will keep doing so! I really don't care if they don't support my opinions, because that shouldn't concern me. This all really started with Huckabee working everyone up. Besides, the have a pretty f***ing good chicken sandwich and milkshakes.

That's all...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Regardless of the whole existing controversy, I think they're assholes for claiming to have invented the chicken sandwich.

EDIT: I have evidence. The White House Cook Book c.1887: http://digital.lib.m...=72&PageNum=229

Posted Image

#16 ArrowFanBoy

ArrowFanBoy

Formerly known as CG55

• 136 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

^I'm sorry, but that honestly made me laugh so hard.... ha..... xD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

And to bump with some good news.

Chick-Fil-A Agrees To Cease Funding To Anti-Gay Organizations, Chicago LGBT Group Claims

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#18 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'd just assume let Jon Stewart put it in the most blunt terms for NOT going to Chick-Fil-A if you oppose their stance: "You get gay marriage, and all your opponents get is Type II Diabetes."

Speaking of which, I know a right-winger who has Type II Diabetes (and yes, he hates Obamacare as well, but we won't discuss that here).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: looper, maelstrom