Giga Coaster, Knott's Berry Farm, 2013/14? (Rumor)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well, this rumor went around last year, quickly fell to nothing, and has suddenly popped up again with the recently announced closure and removal of Perilous Plunge. And seeing as it created some buzz on here, I might as well post it.

Latest news on Screamscape is that it Intamin was the initial company to do the project, but now it is said B&M beat them out.

(8/16/12) While Intamin was heavily rumored for the next Knott’s coaster project, the latest buzz I’ve been hearing does seem to indicate that Intamin may have been dropped entirely from the project in favor of B&M.
(8/15/12) Knott’s new 2013 coaster looks like it should be moving full steam ahead at last. The rumors all point to a Giga sized coaster, possibly in the range of 325-340 feet tall. Intamin is still the rumored designer, though I have heard B&M’s name dropped as well a couple of times. All those wild survey markers seen around the park about 18 months ago may all come into play once again, with a crazy ride layout that could very well run wild over a large portion of the park.

Knott's Berry Farm

My personal thoughts are that this is looking like 2014 or late 2013 (year round park). But I was wrong with this before. I remember Kings Dominion rumors kicked off later than normal (though the land clearing was evident) and out of almost nowhere, they announce I305. And with not much being noted for 2013 other than GateKeeper and SoB destruction, maybe CF has the funds for it and already have it planned out.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#2 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

I'd rather see another Intamin giga, but I think it's obvious why CF might shift back to B&M.

#3 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'd actually rather see a B&M giga. Not that I don't think Intamin gigas are good, but I would love to see another B&M one after they built Leviathan.

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#4 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

You seem to be on a thread starting spree don't you PKI?

I agree with you Old_Hag. 99% of the new Intamin coasters have had some kind of mechanical problems or rider comfort problems. It is starting to piss me off. I guess you can't have a wild ass ride without some kind of problem.

I am really hoping all of these rumors are true though.

​I didn't choose the band life, the band life chose me.

#5 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

You seem to be on a thread starting spree don't you PKI?

I agree with you Old_Hag. 99% of the new Intamin coasters have had some kind of mechanical problems or rider comfort problems. It is starting to piss me off. I guess you can't have a wild ass ride without some kind of problem.

I am really hoping all of these rumors are true though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this has to do with the coasters with cable lifts/launches?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#6 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

Wow, this exploded.

Intamin has had a lot of problems since the turn of the millennium. Problems from lapbars (SkyRush, and back to the original T-Bars in early 2000s), to extreme launches, to Maverick's removed heartline roll, to I305's restraints, wheels, and forces.

SSCoasters Staff

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

#7 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this has to do with the coasters with cable lifts/launches?

Here are the ones that I know off the top of my head.

Top Thrill Dragster/Kingda Ka - Cable Launch plagued both rides with extreme downtime

Maverick - Opened late (I think?), heartline roll was too harsh, restraints hurt, some downtime.

Intimidatior 305 - First turn was too intense, trims were added, restraints are identical to the ones on maverick, so I'm guessing they hurt too.

Skyrush - Thigh Crush.

EDIT: You beat me to it PKI. :|

#8 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

^ Minor downtime with new coasters is common. That's normal and shouldn't be a strike against Maverick. Also, they change the restraints on I305 mid-summer of 10, replaced the over the shoulder bars with an over the shoulder soft vest. 100 times better!

So back to Knotts, I'm wondering where this ride will go. It seems like it would have a crazy layout around the park if it were to work. Kinda like cramming in a ride in RCT.

SSCoasters Staff

#9 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:18 AM

^
^^ You guys just explained one of the reasons why I'd rather have this coaster made from B&M. B&M's coasters have almost, if not, absolutely no problems at all.
Edit: I think Intamin will do a great job of making another giga, I would just hate to see it have problems shortly after it opens.

#10 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

^ Shambhala? That B&M had a LOT of troubles past year. (falling pieces from the catwalk, moving supports... And Oz'iris is said to shake a lot, very uncomfortable. So Intamin and B&M have troubles.

#11 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:04 AM

^ Shambhala? That B&M had a LOT of troubles past year. (falling pieces from the catwalk, moving supports... And Oz'iris is said to shake a lot, very uncomfortable. So Intamin and B&M have troubles.

OzIris didn´t shake at all in my opinion, but I do agree with you that B&M also has its problems every now and then.
I hope this one will be an Intamin, from my experience they produce a much better ride when it comes to mega's/giga's.

Posted Image

#12 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Intamin's Giga/Hyper > B&M Giga/Hyper

For the same reason that is:
Ejector Air > Floater Air

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Intamins (toro, maverick, skyrush) make even the best B&Ms hypers feel boring.

#14 Maxwell58

Maxwell58

French Horn is life.

• 1765 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Intamins are my favorite because they are so damn wild. I'm spoiled with Cedar Point though, but I still don't think my opinion will change.

It's just, that Intamin can not make a kickass, wild, intense, and crazy frikin ride without a problem of some sort. It really bothers me. That's part of the reason I'm glad Cedar point chose a B&M wingrider.

#15 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Intamin is far more innovative than B&M so far. B&M Settles with a rather small series of coaster types that have proven themselves over the past. Intamin keeps trying new stuff, launches (B&M doesn't do launches as they find them to be unreliable, the launch on Hulk isn't an exception as it was an external company that made it.), elevator lifts and new track designs.

No wonder you keep running into problems down the road. Trying to push the limits and reaching into unexplored territory is going to cause some problems...

Does this make Intamin a bad manufacturer that doesn't know what it is doing? No, of-course not!

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

Just give this giga coaster to BGT, we have plenty of room, and I'm getting tired of Chattah Hunt, even though there's a small airtime hill!

#17 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm not sure, I've seen Leviathan placed higher on people's list than Millie and I305. Plus a giga is a completely different coaster than a hyper because of monetary restraints. And while I don't know what Leviathan's secret is, some people find it better.

SSCoasters Staff

#18 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

It's a fact that B&M has stated that it would rather stay in its comfort zone than push the limits of their coasters. Intamin, on the other hand, is all for it and more than not have been bitten in the ass because of it. It doesn't make either company better because they excel at doing different things. And just because Intamin pushes the limits doesn't mean that their coasters are more thrilling and that B&M builds forceless coasters. Leviathan was quite a forceful ride and I prefer its drop and comfort to I305's speed turns. Both blow MilF out of the water though.

And just to throw it in here...Intamin's track record:

1999 – Rider killed when Intamin Rapid’s boat flips at Six Flags over Texas
1999 – Rider thrown from Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags Darien Lake
1999 – 12 year old killed when he fell out of Drop Zone at Paramount’s Great America
2001 – Woman killed when thrown from Perilous Plunge
2001 – Brakes fail on Superman at S.F. New England, trains collide in station
2004 – Girl killed when thrown from Hydro
2004 – Launch Cable breaks, sprays riders with shrapnel on Top Thrill Dragster
2004 – A man died when thrown from Superman: Ride of Steel at S.F. New England
2005 – Trains collide on Disney’s California Screamin’ coaster when brakes fail
2005 – Kingda Ka’s launch systems suffers extreme damage during test launch at S.F. Great Adventure.
2007 – A girl’s feet are severed on the Superman: Tower of Power at S.F. Kentucky Kingdom
2009 – Xcelerator’s Launch Cable Breaks
2011 - War amputee thrown from Ride of Steel
2012 - 14 year old girl fell from drop tower at Hopi Hari
2012 - Rita: Queen of Speed's launch cable snaps

And don't forget all the setbacks and precautionary measures taken:

- Many Ride of Steels have received the ankle collars
- Many impulse coasters have received the Wicked Twister support treatment
- Top Thrill Dragster's (and other accelerator models) maintenance woes
- El Toro's delay in construction
- Maverick's removed heartline roll
- Furious Baco's rattling trains
- Thirteen's trimmed drop
- Intimidator 305 being trimmed and then reprofiled

I'm sure there's more, but whatever. You guys get the point.

The info is from Wikipedia, Coasterforce, and RCDB.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#19 Dragon

Dragon

ROAR!

• 1481 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

2012 - 14 year old girl fell from drop tower at Hopi Hari

I remember that, the restraints opened in the end of the drop throwing the girl from 24 m height.
and the park said that the seats she was never worked in 10 years.

( the park has 11 years)

#20 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Most of Intamins accidents involve rider, ride operator, or maintenance stupidity/oversight. Perilous plunge, Ride of Steel, Kentucky Kingdoms Drop Tower, and the Hopi Hari incidents are probably the most obvious.