SSC Winter Contest 2012/2013

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#81 Zem

Zem

Zemmiphobiac

• 483 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Does the station count as part of the coaster or is it counted as scenery?

#82 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Does the station count as part of the coaster or is it counted as scenery?

The station itself is counted as part of the coaster. However, it can be themed with non-K'NEX material. It should be clear, though, that a station cannot be non-K'NEX-only... if that makes sense. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#83 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

To add to Gump, everything including scenery must fit inside the box. If that wasn't clear from previous posts.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#84 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

Forever never ends.

• 134 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

To add to Gump, everything including scenery must fit inside the box. If that wasn't clear from previous posts.

But how about cottons, you can decorate the outsides with cotton. (Sticking to the sides.)

#85 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

But how about cottons, you can decorate the outsides with cotton. (Sticking to the sides.)

The box is including the connectors on the outside, so you can stick it to the sides of the base, as you still have the connectors on the side you'll have to make it really thick to go outside the box. But anyway, that's not really an issue. Basically what we mean is that you don't start making trees all around the box and claim that to be part of the scenery or coaster.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#86 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

^ That's what I'm doing. I was also do that same layout that the picture has so far. Looks like I have to think of another idea.

That's not my layout on my winter coaster contest. That's a coaster I built like last year called Windblow.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#87 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

^ok. Is my coaster still able to enter? Here is a pic.Posted Image
As you see it goes outside the box.

#88 pǝʇɹǝʌuı

pǝʇɹǝʌuı

I am a cat

• 202 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

As you see it goes outside the box.

I'll leave that one for you to answer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#89 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

[i]- 5x5x5
This year we will go back to one of the classic contests held on SSCoasters, the 5x5x5 grey rod cube contest! Your ride must fit in a cube with edges of 5 grey rods long (including 6 connectors). It is not necessary to build this whole cube, but you can be asked to do so, if it is unclear whether the roller coasters fits or not. Please note that motors should be inside the cube, but power adapters can be outside the cube.
For slim/micro track builders, your limit is a cube with edges of 5 micro-blue/standard-red rods (including 6 connectors).

C'mon guys...

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#90 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Is lubricant allowed?

#91 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4457 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is lubricant allowed?

Yes, lubricant is allowed:)

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#92 Snake

Snake

Construction Worker

• 444 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

I might have a go at this. Haven't touched my knex in 4 months and I have been wanting to build lately.

#93 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I might actually change my ride that i entered so i dont want to enter my ride yet. i will probably make a new build and see how that works out. if it doesnt work then i will just stick with the ride i have now.

#94 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

It says non-K'NEX© items are not allowed unless they are just for theming and do not affect the coaster's performance. Does that include electronics? For instance, if I want to add led lights (with a microcontroller) as theming, is that allowed?

#95 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

This Winter Contest does not allow non-K'NEX additions, including, but not limited to, Arduino microcontrollers, Lego NXT modules and power drills. In contrast to this, we DO allow rubber bands, surgical tubing and material for adding weight to your trains. If in doubt, ask a staff member.

Theming can contain non-K'NEX items, as long as they do not affect the roller coaster's performance. An often used example is cotton balls to resemble snow.

In your case, Bart, these two rules appear to contradict. However, the staff has decided not to allow microcontrollers for theming either.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#96 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

In your case, Bart, these two rules appear to contradict. However, the staff has decided not to allow microcontrollers for theming either.

I'm using led lights. This is a link to it.
Amazon.com: Ledwholesalers IP66 Waterproof 16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, 44 Button Controller + Remote and 12 Volt Power Supply, 2038kit: Home Improvement

There ya go! Tell me if I can or can't.

#97 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Just wondering. But will one VV coaster win, and one SS coaster win, or will there be just one contest for both the coaster styles?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#98 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm using led lights. This is a link to it.
Amazon.com: Ledwholesalers IP66 Waterproof 16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, 44 Button Controller + Remote and 12 Volt Power Supply, 2038kit: Home Improvement

There ya go! Tell me if I can or can't.

Static lighting is fine. In other words, they have to be one color and not changing over time. Because dynamic lighting is making use of the included microcontroller / chips.

Just wondering. But will one VV coaster win, and one SS coaster win, or will there be just one contest for both the coaster styles?

Both VV and SS enter this one contest and one winner will be drawn.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg

#99 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Both VV and SS enter this one contest and one winner will be drawn.

Hey, I know I don't build with VV, but I think SS almost always looks somewhat better no matter what. For this reason, I think it is very unfair for builders to enter both kinds into the same category. I think there should absolutely be two categories to enter in. Please at least bring this up with the staff, because I really think it's the right thing to do.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#100 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

• 13586 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

You are bringing up a discussion that has been going on for years now. Recent VV models have shown that VV can absolutely look better than SS.

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg