Innovation Year Contest: Got Innovation?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Welcome to the first contest of 2013: Innovation Year! This contest is called "Got Innovation?". I and others have noticed the lack of Innovation going on since companys were disbanded a couple years ago. A few examples of the innovation from back then are RightWayTrey's Automatic Station Gates, Steelspectrums Shuttle Lift, RightWayTrey's Automatic On/Off switch, Steelspectrum Suspended Cars, Hydralic Launch by Beethoven, plus many many more, some of which can be viewed in the Patent Library. Now, this year, lets aim at innovating more! That is why we came up with Innovation Year. It will feature multiple contests which each have something to do with innovation.

Now, for the first contest!

For this contest, which is called "Got Innovation?", has zero restrictions/rules for building! You can build whatever coaster you want, in whatever style you want, how big or small is your choice. Now, for the fun part. Judging will be done by (if they are willing to) the Staff, Builders, and Innovators. Your coasters will be judged on solely their innovation included in them. Not the track work, style, execution, etc. But the innovation! Innovation can be anything, custom cars, custom catwalks, chain guides, propulsion system, break, automation, etc! Automation devices/electronics are NOT allowed, that includes Aurduno, custom devices, NXT, programmable lights (although normal lights/christmas lights are allowed for theming), etc. Each Builder/Staff/Innovator (if they are willing) will write a review for your coaster, and rate it based on its innovation.
Please note, using things that have been made previously WILL NOT be counted and judged as innovation. Innovation means inventing new stuff/ways of doing stuff:)
The deadline for this contest is December (exact date TBD). There will be no tag or prize for winning this contest, just pride and glory (and bragging rights)!

I'm really excited to announce this contest, I hope you guys make lots of unique coasters and new things for it!
Now that said, start building!

Edited by Knexrule11, 08 May 2013 - 10:36 PM.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#2 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Does designing a new lift for a ball machine count?

Or is there a contest for that later?

#3 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Too bad that I got all my k'nex stored upstairs, but this does look promising. Can't wait to see what people will do with this.

#4 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Does designing a new lift for a ball machine count?

Or is there a contest for that later?

Sadly since there are only 2-3 people on this site that build ball machines, I don't think there will be a contest for ball machines. Sorry.

Woops, entered the wrong date. The deadline is April 21st.

Edited by Knexrule11, 11 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu

#5 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Awesome! Sounds like a great, fresh idea for a new contest. Glad to see innovations will be getting more recognition than before, they certainly deserve it.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#6 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Are coaster spines allowed?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#7 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Aww, man! I had some great tilt section ideas, but I'm not ready to build yet!!! :(

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#8 A.S.C.

A.S.C.

-----------

• 801 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

i guess i could finally make that idea i had back when task innovations was around

#9 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Are coaster spines allowed?

I'm assuming you mean VV spines, and yep! Anything made by/out of K'NEX is allowed:)

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#10 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

^ Yes! :D
Another thing, how do we enter?

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#11 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

^ I'll post a entry thread towards the end of the contest.

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#12 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

I don't know if I'll be able to participate, college and all, but I'm excited to see what people create.

#13 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

I may enter my track strengtheners I've developed. They're used on Sniper, IOAgeek's current coaster.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#14 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Can I enter the rubberband-on-chain thingy that I use on Lightning Racer? I do not have anything else at the moment.

Posted Image

#15 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I can't innovate because I'm not home...

Haha, just kidding. I can get a coaster done by then. :)

Posted Image

#16 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I may enter my track strengtheners I've developed. They're used on Sniper, IOAgeek's current coaster.

You enter a coaster, and its judged on its innovation, it can be as many things as you want. Also, it must be your coaster.

Can I enter the rubberband-on-chain thingy that I use on Lightning Racer? I do not have anything else at the moment.

Yeah, you can, but you'd probably have a better chance if you built a coaster specifically for the contest, and innovated a lot of new things for it:)

I can't innovate because I'm not home...

Haha, just kidding. I can get a coaster done by then. :)

I'm sure you can:p

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png

#17 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

i guess i could finally make that idea i had back when task innovations was around

But....T.A.S.K. is still around....it's just not on this website since there's no "groups" anymore.

I might make a coaster for this contest, unless I use my wingrider. Depends on how many parts I have after I build the CP coaster,

Edited by Turtle Man 24, 12 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

turtleman24.png
http://www.coasterco.../#Turtle Man 24

[Turtle Man 24] 1:34 am: Thou shall know not of meaness of Mean Streak, so thou must talk not of it

#18 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Oooh, even I might find some time to build something for this contest ;) I love the idea and I hope it gets the gears turning in people's heads (pun intended)!

#19 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Can I enter a track strengthener for bballer's vv spine?

#20 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Can I enter a track strengthener for bballer's vv spine?

For this contest, which is called "Got Innovation?", has zero restrictions/rules for building! You can build whatever coaster you want, in whatever style you want, how big or small is your choice. Each Builder/Staff/Innovator (if they are willing) will write a review for your coaster, and rate it based on its innovation.

You enter a coaster, and its judged on its innovation, it can be as many things as you want.

You don't enter a thing guys, you enter a coaster! You want to invent lots of new things while building it to make it awesome! I can say if you enter a coaster with only 1 small thing you invented included, you'll have a small chance at winning. So innovate a lot!

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png