#2 Diamondback vs. #3 Apollo's Chariot

knex auto

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which model is better? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Which model is better?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

#2 Diamondback
#3 Apollo's Chariot

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#2 TheRandomGuy

TheRandomGuy

Sample Text

• 2058 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Two B&M hyper recres against each other. Oh boy....

The signature you have requested is not available at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience.

#3 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nonononononononononononononononononono!!!!! Not these two in the same vote.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#4 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Sorry, Mike.

#5 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Votes are hard this year...

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

This is too tough to chose from...

#7 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

...And no one even knew it was really only you...

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#8 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

I went with the bigger of the two models. Both great though.

#9 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

wow, this is a tough vote for sure......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 knex-man

knex-man

Dutch Details employee

• 573 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Apolos Chariot was nice, but MCM faked the video. It wasn't a fully working model. That's why I voted Diamondback.

#11 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Apolos Chariot was nice, but MCM faked the video. It wasn't a fully working model. That's why I voted Diamondback.

I am not trying to take away from any of these two rides, but a similar situation occurred with Diamondback. From what I remember, Diamondback's lift snapped under the strain of the train, therefore it was pushed over the lift. Apollo's Chariot needed a significant initial speed, therefore it was pushed over the lift.

I personally voted for Apollo's Chariot, but I find it hard to pinpoint why. It definitely isn't the anti-Diamondback sentiment I had in the past (which was caused by the hype around that wonderful coaster).

SSCoasters Administrator
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#12 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I didn't have to think hard about this one, I immediately voted Diamondback. Although both coasters didn't have a station and needed a little help with letting them run, I still think Diamondback is the most impressive one.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_321_*

Guest_321_*

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Size doesnt always mean better. To me Diamondback was great but the way it wasn't fully automatic compared to the way Apollo's Chariot wasn't fully automatic, seems worse. So I voted on Apollo's Chariot.

#14 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

^Yes, but it's always a contributing factor.

That's funny that both coasters have very similar issues. Neither has a defined station and both had lift/speed issues. Both had a helping MCBR. Considering all of these, I went with Diamondback. Not only was it impressive because it was a recreation, it was impressive regardless. I feel AC would be remarkably less impressive if it wasn't a recreation.

#15 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

^^ At least DBack made the course every single time. Mike even admitted that Apollo's running depended heavily on the temperature.

I find it hilarious that people with no large scale experience say "size doesn't matter."

Edited by pkiknex25, 18 March 2013 - 09:28 PM.

SSCoasters Staff

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#16 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

This matchup has tightened up here on the last day of voting.

#17 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

diamondback was just unbelievable so I voted for it. I cant even imagine if it were built with tubes.

#18 Mikecoastermaniac

Mikecoastermaniac

Where'd He Go?

• 1770 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well hello there everybody! I forgot all about March Madness! With it being my final year in college!

Personally I am still shocked to still see that Apollo's Chariot is still remembered around here! Everytime I lurk here, there is always a better model being built taller, faster, and even bigger! I'm just astounded as to how this community has evolved. But at that time, I guess Apollo's Chariot was the biggest tube supported coaster! And I truly love that each year these two somehow get to face one another!

But I seriously would like to end this entire 'debate" that was brought up two or so years ago that Apollo's Chariot didn't work and that I "staged" the video.

When I built Apollos Chariot it was winter time, and I built it in a spare room that was not heated. When it was cold out, the tubing got very hard and indeed affected the way the model ran. It seriously strengthen the track immensely. However, I never physically pushed the train down the hill, you can even look in the video itself and through the construction thread. I used a drill lift that was obviously speed adjustable. If the train didn't make it around the helix, all I did was adjust the speed of the lift. If people read through the thread you would know. So for all those mis-informed members, now you know from the person who built the model themselves. Don't attack me when I am not even here 98% of the time to defend myself!

Even after all that said, like I say EVERY... single... year...Diamond back deserve the win over Apollos Chariot.

Oh, and Ill be back.. one day.
;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Watch My Coasters!

http://youtube.com/u...CoasterCreation

MaXair732865 (9:31:57 PM): seriously, i need a really compact layout
TehMike23 (9:32:07 PM):drop, loop, diveloop, zero-g, up into break run, helix..
MaXair732865 (9:32:12 PM): im not going to post this, dont worry
TehMike23 (9:32:15 PM): cockscrew, then station
MaXair732865 (9:32:28 PM): cockscrew? what the hell is that?
MaXair732865 (9:32:44 PM): sexuall? Innuendo much?
MaXair732865 (9:32:55 PM): Dang
TehMike23 (9:33:06 PM): ahahahah

My Top 5 Coasters
1-Maverick
2-Top Thrill Dragster
3-Millenium Force
4-Griffon
5-Apollos Chariot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knex auto