Let's Play Tetris! - Small coaster contest

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Remember this game? Let's try the same with a roller-coaster! You get one of each Tetris block made out of grey rods and have to arrange these into a footprint for your coaster. You then build a roller-coaster on top of it with a height restriction of 4 grey rods. Can you make it fit? Everything needs to fit inside the the shapes, including the track and coaches.

These are the block you may use for your footprint. You may only use each block once, so you have a total of 7 blocks. You may not create gaps or "free" squares. The game of Tetris is to get everything to fit.

It's highly encouraged to make the base first and take a picture, then draw over it so we can see how you arranged the pieces.
Posted Image

Like for all Summer Heat contests, the deadline is August 25th, 2013. An entry thread will be opened later in the summer.

If you have any questions about this contest, you can ask them here. The Staff will get back to you as soon as possible.

Edited by Maxlaam, 26 June 2013 - 06:00 PM.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

I'm guessing you can have a gap in the middle of the blocks so it doesn't have to be one solid shape. For instance if you arrange the blocks to have a few squares free in the middle where don't build.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I'm guessing you can have a gap in the middle of the blocks so it doesn't have to be one solid shape. For instance if you arrange the blocks to have a few squares free in the middle where don't build.

Whoops, I missed that. No you may not create any gaps to create more "unused" space. The game of Tetris is to align them all to fit.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ok, so I am confused. We have to combine ALL these Tetris shapes so you can make a solid shape with no gaps and place a coaster on it?

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#5 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yes, you get 7 shapes and have to make a solid area with it on which you may build a coaster of 4 grey rods high (both VV and SS). No further restrictions besides everything having to fit in the designated area. So feel free to make a launch, dual lift-hills or even a dueller!

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

#7 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The shape you make with the 7 pieces doesn't have to be a rectangle right?

#8 MuddyFingers12

MuddyFingers12

Construction Foreman

• 106 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

can we connect the shapes woth grey rods, or do they have to be interlocked? And do you just build up off of your rectangle that you make with the footprints?

#9 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

The shape you make with the 7 pieces doesn't have to be a rectangle right?

You may freely arrange them to any shape as long as there are no "empty" squares.

can we connect the shapes woth grey rods, or do they have to be interlocked? And do you just build up off of your rectangle that you make with the footprints?

The edge of a shape is also the edge of a different shape. If you count the individual squares of the shapes they will add up to a total of 28. The shapes form your footprint and you may build up to 4 grey's high from that.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

I get it.
We use Tetris shapes to make a base. Something like these:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

But not like this:
Posted Image
Because there is a gap.

And your coaster can't go higher than 4 grey rods.
That sounds like fun.

#11 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Are we allowed to turn and flip the shapes from their original position in this picture?

Posted Image

#12 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Scenery and theming has to be inside these shapes or at least inside the area created by the connectors on the outside, right?

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#13 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Are we allowed to turn and flip the shapes from their original position in this picture?

Posted Image

You may rotate them but not mirror shapes. Look at Stig's examples.

Scenery and theming has to be inside these shapes or at least inside the area created by the connectors on the outside, right?

Everything, including coaches, track, supports, scenery. The boundary is the rod off the footprint, not the outer connectors. Pay attention that you don't actually make your track 4 grey's high, the coaches would cross the boundary.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 MuddyFingers12

MuddyFingers12

Construction Foreman

• 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thank you! I can't wait to start buiding!

#15 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Does VV have the same rules?

#16 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Are each of the squares 1 grey rod big?

#17 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Does VV have the same rules?

Yes. SS & VV share the same restirctions for all 3 contests.

Yes.

#18 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Already started the base! This is going to be fun!

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#19 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

A Quick question, can I enter my Ferris wheel AND a coaster into the separate contests?

#20 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Yes, rods are connected by connectors ofcourse :)

A Quick question, can I enter my Ferris wheel AND a coaster into the separate contests?

Yes, you can :)

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image