construction hyper coaster roller coaster smoothing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hello, this is my first time using SSC! I've started to make a roller coaster, but whenever I look at it, it is not very smooth, and looses a lot of speed. Is there any special way I can make the crests and slopes more smooth?

[ATTACH]8534[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8535[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8536[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8537[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8538[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8539[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8540[/ATTACH]

#2 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

For photos, the attachments are broken. Instead of using attachments, you can use Photobucket.
Click me for the posting images tutorial! ;)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#3 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thanks! I was wondering why they weren't showing up.
Here is the link for the Album:

Mobile Uploads Photos by coasterman345 | Photobucket

#4 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Looks pretty good! The only thing I would change on your next coasters is the crest size. For most coasters, the crest of the lift hills are larger, and that makes for a smoother lift hill and a more realistic ride.
This picture shows what I'm talking about (the green line is yours)
Posted Image

The way to change this is just to extend the support structure out more.
=)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#5 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Yes I would change the crest here is an example off one of my coasters.
Posted Image
I am not saying this is how you lift hill and drop has to be. Just make your crest much larger and smoother. Kind of like this

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#6 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. Out of curiosity, how hard is it to make a roller coaster with tubes? Also does it use more or less pieces?

#7 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Making a coaster out of tubes uses about the same total pieces, but completely different pieces. I have built with tubes and boxes, and each one seems to use about the same amount.
Tubes can be very difficult to make sturdy, especially on larger rides. I would build with boxes for a while, and master them. After that, if you feel up to it, I would give tubes a try! ;)

Posted Image

#8 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Yes tube supports are some of the hardest to make. I mean it uses about the same pieces you just have to have a lot of grey rods, yellow rods, ladder pieces, and blue 3d or white snowflakes. I do recommend d making a lot of successful box coasters before making tubes. Even when making tubes supports, boxes still come in play for bases. Also I would try and smooth out thing just a hair and make more track to support connections. Lastly are the trains lubed and weighted?

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#9 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Tube supports are very tough to get right. I have attempted multiple times, and I was never satisfied with the end result. Use boxes, and eventually you will work your way up to tubes. Glad to see your enthusiasm. I think the site really needs it right now...

One thing, while your shaping is relatively good on the camel back, make sure to get the boxes as close as you can to the track. Having a grey or gree rod between the supports and track is detrimental to speed and will warp the shaping. Try to connect the track to the supports with black, white, blue, and granite <-(if you must) rods. I'd advise you to look at some recent coasters that are being made, like Jumpge's Leviathan: LINK HERE He keeps the supports and the track almost glued together for 99% of the ride. Good luck!

Also, Jaykethekid, the crest in your picture is still too small, use the example from Zach.

Edited by IonZer0, 20 March 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#10 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yes I would say that you should try to space out your X-ties a little better making the coaster more uniform. Also, try to form your coaster track closer to your boxes for easier connections. And finally, it is easier to use flexies for better shaping and support, in this case. It seems to me that because you used gray rods for the valley of the drop and the drop, your shaping is out of line and I would make sure you change those into flexies, to ensure better shaping, or space out your cross ties better for better shaping with the gray ones.

And also, how many sets do you have?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#11 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Another helpful tip is to always use the same amount of x-ties per flexi, usually 5-7 is best, this allows you to both layer and space them in an optimal way. On the shaping, it looks alright, the drop is nice, however the crest is to small, try lengthening it by a red rod.

#12 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I have one Shark Run, one Rippin' Rocket, one Storm Mountain, and three Screamin' Serpent sets, plus two extra trains, and a bunch of tubs of miscellaneous parts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: construction, hyper coaster, roller coaster, smoothing