IonZer0 Goes To King's Dominion - Doswell VA

ion ionzer0 ionzero kings dominion visit

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Saturday, April 26, I visited King's Dominion in Doswell Virginia with my orchestra. (I play bass)
When we arrived, only Dominator and a few flat rides, such as Berserker, were open. Season pass holders got in a half hour early. My group of four planned to hit the major coasters first, so we went back and rode Dominator right when they opened it. Luckily the line had not accumulated too much, and we were able to snag a ride in the front row, and still have time to chill in a small plaza before they opened up the majority of the park.

Ride: Dominator
Score: 8/10
Review: Overall a very exciting ride. Missing an immelman and zero-g roll, but still plenty of upside-down action.
In one word: Smooth

So, when they opened the rest of the park, my friends and I were at the front of the mob, and although we planned to ride Intimidator 305 first, my friend recommended we catch a ride on Volcano before it broke down. Well, that backfired, as it broke down right as I was about to walk to my seat. Luckily it was only down for about five minutes, and I was in the first train to run. I also noticed that the gondola for The Crypt (top spin ride) had been completely removed. Hinged-arm remake possibly?

Ride: Volcano
Score: 7/10
Review: Really exhilarating. I had seen a POV, so I was able to say "It should be launching right about *launches* now." and mess with everybody, because I'm evil like that. Downsides included a very brief ride, and once you launch out the top, it's a pretty slow coaster.
In one word: Launch

After Volcano we rushed over to Intimidator to find that there was *GASP* NO LINE! While in line, I got into an argument with somebody that Intimidator went past vertical, which it didn't, only 85*. I rode once in the second car, and once in the front row. Whoever tells you that you black out, they're right. As I went around the first turn (OVER 6 POSITIVE G'S!!!), my vision began to blur and fade to a gray haze, but returned when we went over the first hill. Each transition gives you a nice pop of airtime, and this beast is fast. I went again, this time in the front row (even better) with only a five minute wait.

Ride: Intimidator
Score: 9/10
Review: Definitely my new favorite coaster. Line goes fast even when it's long. Worth the wait. Very fast paced, and a nice layout, though could be longer. Feels like the first drop is past 90*, even though it isn't.
In one word: Fast

After 2 rides on 305, we went over to Anaconda, the old Arrow looper. It was a very disappointing ride. Jerky and painful, I would recommend avoiding this one.

Ride: Anaconda
Score: 4/10
Review: Although a classic, I feel that this coaster would be best replaced with something else. It is very painful, and not enjoyable at all. If you skip this ride, you aren't missing anything.
In one word: Jerky

After Anaconda, we hit the small, but fun, coaster Backlot Stunt Coaster. It has a small launch, and some nice airtime, but the cars are really small, and myself, being 6'2, was not comfortable. It s a short, but sweet ride with some nice theming.

Ride: Backlot Stunt Coaster
Score: 6/10
Review: A nice break ride. I needed some downtime after Intimidator, and this fit the bill nicely. It may be small, but it is still pretty fun.
In one word: Twisty

By then my group needed to regroup for a check-in at the entrance so we could receive some cash for lunch. After lunch I, now on my own, ventured to the other side of the park, and hit Rebel Yell. Although they removed the backwards-facing trains, it is still a fun dueling woodie. Nice and rickety, with lots of airtime.

Ride: Rebel Yell
Score: 7/10
Review: One of my favorite woodies behind Thunderhead. An airtime-filled layout that is just enough. Overall a great ride that I would recommend stopping for.
In one word: Bouncy

After I rode Rebel Yell, I had two more woodies in my path, Hurler and Grizzly. Explain me this; King's Dominion has three woodies right next to each other. I went over to Hurler, but it was closed, so I walked over to Grizzly. I hadn't ridden this before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It was alright. Extremely rickety, too much in fact. I banged my wrist when we hit a turn, and it hurt for a while afterwards. One good thing came of it, though. I saw wooden tracks behind Hurler. Apparently Hurler is getting a facelift.

Ride: Grizzly
Score: 5/10
Review: A ride not for the faint of heart, Grizzly lives up to its name. An older coaster, it is extremely rickety and bumpy, leading to some unpleasant experiences. I find that I would rather not ride this if I ever come back to King's Dominion.
In one word: Ouch

After Grizzly, I was faced with my mortal-enemy-since-childhood. Shockwave. This P.I.T.A. has haunted my stand-up coaster riding experiences since I was little kid. This painful beach is probably one of the worst rides ever made. I put on my "I don't care" face, and contorted myself into the ride's poorly designed stand-up restraints. As soon as we exited the station, I could tell I was in for some painful sheet. Each turn racked my body with pain, but the element that gets the award for the most painful, would have to be the helix. At the entrance, your neck is snapped to the side, then during the element, your legs fall asleep, and your *ahem* crotch, is smashed. The exit is almost as bad as the entrance, snapping your head the other way, to even it out, I guess. The hills jerk your head forward and back, and the breaks do even more so. Coming back into the station, the designers had the genius idea to release the height locks as soon as you stop, so I had to twist myself out of the harness in a half sitting, half standing position. F--K YOU TOGO!!!

Ride: Shockwave
Score: -1/10
Review: Worst. Ride. Ever. Don't ride unless you enjoy getting your neck fractured in multiple places.
In one word: Whiplash

After Shockwave, I needed some down-time. So I headed over to WindSeeker, only to see that it was shut down. So I headed over to the mini version, Snoopy's something-or-other. A nice, down-time ride, even though it goes about ninety feet in the air. (No review for this one) After that, while walking back to the meeting place for check-in and awards ceremony, I noticed that I305 had gotten stuck on the lift hill.

My orchestra only won second, but our competition was a school where most of the students go to some first-class music university for all ages, so I wasn't too bummed.

I headed over to the Panda Express restaurant, really good food by the way. And then looked around the gift stores and grabbed myself two shirts and a lanyard. One said "Keep calm and Ride On." and the other said "I conquered (all the major coasters) Ride Warrior" That was why I rode Shockwave, so I could wear that shirt with honor.

I visited Berserker, a swinging ship that held you upside-down and went in a full rotation, and left dizzy with a major headache, and a queasy stomach. I would recommend keeping your distance from that one.

I was pretty tired, so I decided that one more ride on Intimidator would round out my day nicely, but the lines were about two hours long, so I went halfway around the park to Dominator, which I was able to sneak past a few groups, being a single rider.

Overall, my day was well enjoyed. Although I prefer Busch Gardens to its more secluded feel, King's Dominion has a wider array of coasters to appeal to its more thrill-seeking crowds. With the taste of bile in my mouth (that sour taste you get after not brushing your teeth for a while, I feel it completes my theme park visits) and my head spinning from all the rides, I left the park a happy thrillseeker.

-Patrick

Edited by IonZer0, 27 April 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ion, ionzer0, ionzero, kings dominion, visit