NCoaster's July Vacations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

All of my vacations were packed into July this year. I went to Wildwood NJ (Morey's Piers) from June 29th - July 10th, Kings Dominion July 13th - 15th, and Kings Island/Cedar Point July 20th -27th. If I am counting correctly I would have went on 44 different coasters!

Wildwood is one of NJ's best beach resorts. It's the best beach I've ever been too plus the boardwalk and Morey's Piers add to that. Many people from NJ, Pennsylvania, and Quebec vacation in Wildwood and my family's been doing it for a long time.
Here was the view from my room.

Posted Image

Vekoma boomerang SeaSerpent and Giant wheel

Posted Image

"It" KMG Fireball which has tons of great airtime in the right seats. My cousins are next to me.

Posted Image

Great White. Some airtime in the back on the drop and bunny hops but not a lot.

Posted Image

The Great Nor'easter, my favorite thing here even though it's just an SLC. It does have smoother trains though!

Posted Image

I'm on the left with black hair so you can remember.

Other than these rides I also went on many more fair type rides with a 140ft drop tower, and KMG Move It 24.

On July 4th I went to Coney Island to see the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest in person. I left Wildwood with just my father and brother just after 7 o'clock and drove 150 miles North racing against Hurricane Arthur which we were able to hold of. It took only 2 hours flat, much faster than I would ever have anticipated. We were in the crowd by 10:15 waiting for the Women's contest which was first at 11:15.

2hrs and 22 minutes to go with some ThunderBolt zero g roll. I never expected to get so close, it was great.

Posted Image

The entertainment before the contest every year is always horrible, it's a complete joke. Miki Sudo became women's champion defeating Sonya Thomas with a horrible 34 hot dogs when it was barely raining, just a few drops. The horrible woman have no excuse especially after qualifying with 40 hot dogs.

After this, Joey Chestnut made a surprise proposal to his girlfriend.

Posted Image

It was to hard to take pictures of the actual contests because that's what everyone was trying to do at the same time + the umbrellas. It started raining right before the mens contest but started to decrease during it. I was surprised by the high numbers in the bad weather but even more surprised by Matt Stonie when he was beating Joey Chestnut with 2 and a half minutes to go, even though he really wasn't because he was deducted 2 hot dogs at the end anyway.
It was the most exciting eating contest I've ever seen in person. Here's Joey after wining for the 8th consecutive year with 61 hot dogs in 10 minutes.

Posted Image

And in case your actually interested, here is full contest footage. I'm in the crowd with my dad at 8:41 of the video on the right side of the screen wearing a white poncho. It's hard to tell that it's even raining besides the drops that are on the camera.

After this I went on ThunderBolt for the first time which was $10 a person!!! It was still mildly raining at the time and it hurt me like hell. You could not even open your eyes. I sat in the front which was a mistake because of the rain but it was still very enjoyable. The drop and bunny hills had great airtime while the loop, zero g roll and turnaround inversion thing had sick hang time. It was very rough though. Even though it could be better than some eurofighters if I had to buy either one I would choose a eurofighter because they provide a safe thrill instead of a cheap, rough, dangerous thrill. ThunderBolt is a cheap, dangerous thrill because of the lap bars where the rubber is movable and can tilt up and down, this is while the lap bar is far down on your thigh toward your knee which is the only reason why the hang time is so good.

Posted Image

After this I went to my first ever Nathan's drive through and got 2 hot dogs for lunch. Then went back to Wildwood for the second half of my vacation.

The last thing I have to show from my Wildwood vacation is my first ever restaurant challenge. It was a cheeseburger with 2 lbs of beef, with fries and a pickle. There was no time limit which I thought was crazy. It took me less than 20 minutes to eat it anyway. It was very easy except for the flavor because it tasted awful. It was a ridiculous $20 but I did get the free shirt for finishing.

Posted Image

I will post my KD and KI/CP trips another day because I'm too distracted by people right now.

#2 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Awesome report. Thanks for sharing!

I am a fellow Jersey guy and I really like Wildwood. Did you try out Ghost Ship? It was nuts. I also really like the Cape May Zoo because it is free.

I personally enjoyed the restraints on Tbolt. I think Zamperla has a pretty bright future in store if they can keep making big thrills like this.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#3 < NCcoaster >

< NCcoaster >

panaino

• 677 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

The restraints were crazy on Thunderbolt. You feel like you will fall out especially on the loop. Zamperla is good at family rides and I hope they can continue making bigger and better things

like Thunderbolt. I never got to go on ghost ship yet, I just do other things. I might do it the next time the people I'm with want to. They finally got rid of that ridiculously loud horn from ghost

ship. I went to the Cape May Zoo in 2011 and it is very big and good.

The Nor'easter ride operator knows my brother and I. She is around 50 years old with brown hair. If you can, tell her that you know Jimmy and Nick.

What's your favorite pizza or restaurant there? Mine is Mack's. Curley's is also good for Fries and Lemonade.