k'nex coaster not a real one!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

The silencing of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's Roar on August 16, 2015 has led coaster enthusiasts to believe in plans for a future expansion of the ride for the upcoming season. After lots of speculation, it seems the rumors have become true! Here's the full press release:

Posted Image

Comment! :P

Posted Image

#2 TheoB

TheoB

Rollermad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

Fake? It says 2015 instead of 2016. Where's your source?

I've been waiting for this for weeks!

#3 JayketheKid

JayketheKid

A.K.A J-Coasters

• 953 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

Ummmmmm... K

Anyways, it says 2015 season.

(1)- Voyage (2)- X2 (3)- Steel Vengeance (4)- Twisted Colossus (5)- Storm Chaser [6]- Fury 325 (7)- Outlaw Run (8)- Maverick (9)- Magnum XL-200 (10)- Monster

Coaster Count: 174

Park Count: 25

#4 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

How is this coaster construction? Unless he's hinting that he is going to build an RMC...

#5 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Yeah I think an RMC is pretty obvious. It's in the description of the paper and in the thread title: "Are 'em, see?" And also, can someone tell me what RMC stands for?

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#6 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

This should be interesting.. ^RMC is Rocky Mountain Construction

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#7 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

Fake? It says 2015 instead of 2016. Where's your source?
I've been waiting for this for weeks!

Ummmmmm... K
Anyways, it says 2015 season.

The mistake you've both pointed out is no mistake at all! I've gotten very reliable sources! :D

How is this coaster construction? Unless he's hinting that he is going to build an RMC...

This is indeed coaster construction, as you've figured out! Your prediction may very well be correct! Good work!

Yeah I think an RMC is pretty obvious. It's in the description of the paper and in the thread title: "Are 'em, see?" And also, can someone tell me what RMC stands for?

It appears to me that it is RMC too, with the mentioning of the "Iron Horse Track", "steel and wood", as well as the mentioning of elements that have "never before possible with conventional wooden coasters". The clever title also seems to give it away too (curtsey of ~st33lspectrum~)!

Like FrIeDeGgS said, RMC stands for Rocky Mountain Construction. RMC can also refer to the name as Rocky Mountain Coaster (at least I've heard and used this a few times, myself).

This should be interesting.. ^RMC is Rocky Mountain Construction

I agree! I hope I can make this interesting enough! :D

---

Six Flags released this video a few days ago. I thought I'd include it, making this thread appear even more realistic than it already is!

The real update will be tomorrow. Comment! :D

Edited by BGTKing, 07 October 2015 - 03:43 PM.

Posted Image

#8 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

So you're making an rmc based off of an rmc of Roar? I was kind of confused there but this should be cool, especially since you made the knight valley coaster! I'm kind of confused why they would re-do this ride being only 16 years old.. Is it really that rough to be deserving of it?

Also in the video about 5 seconds in, the lady on the right in blue looks really weird. :P

39751.png

#9 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

Six Flegs is obliviously putting sand in the sopports to make the Roar quieter. They do it on B&Ms all the time...

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#10 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

So you're making an rmc based off of an rmc of Roar? I was kind of confused there but this should be cool, especially since you made the knight valley coaster! I'm kind of confused why they would re-do this ride being only 16 years old.. Is it really that rough to be deserving of it?
Also in the video about 5 seconds in, the lady on the right in blue looks really weird. :P

Sort of! Since the RMC layout is not yet released, this will just be my own thought of what RMC might do if they got their hands on a currently existing GCI. This is in no way an interpretation or prediction of what I think RMC plans on doing with the ride, it will just be my own creation.

My goal with this idea was to take an existing coaster and RMC it. I searched through rcdb through existing GCI coasters (since they are already so twisty and creative) and a few Philadelphia Toboggan coasters in search for a coaster that would fit within the constraints of my building space. I narrowed it down to about two or three before I finally chose Roar. Coincidentally, it sounds like RMC did the exact same thing, haha! (lol)

Six Flegs is obliviously putting sand in the sopports to make the Roar quieter. They do it on B&Ms all the time...

Haha, this gave me a good laugh.

---

It looks like the speculation of the RMC makeover is true! They've already been seen on site, removing large amounts of Roar's old structure and moving it aside. At the moment, you can see the footers that they've kept as well as the remnants of Roar's old layout. It looks like they'll be removing a lot of the old coaster!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Usually RMC leaves a bit more of the original structure to build their layout on top of, but the ride must be getting a huge overhaul if they've already removed so much! I wonder what they could have in store for this layout!

Comment! :D

Posted Image

#11 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

That looks like the first element is going to be sooo dope. It seems tight, but maybe a huge overbank? Looks like a nice long layout, but I can't really predict any of the elements.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#12 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

Your gonna recreate Roar by RMC. This should be interesting.

#13 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

Please include at least a few normal airtime hills and/or camel backs. RMC does some really cool elements, but nothing tops the classic pop of airtime you get on those.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#14 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

Yeah like ^ said, it would be nice to have some airtime hills because RMCs are kinda short and don't have many.

39751.png

#15 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:27 PM

You know, you should have built a recreation of the original Roar first. Like that you could have put more pictures of the deconstruction of Roar :P
Just to make this thread appear even more realistic than it already is!

Anyway, I love the effort you put in the little story line, you should keep a part of it for the final video. Or not, as you which :P

Good luck!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#16 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

This is a very creative concept, I like it. So far it looks very nice and tidy, keep it up! =)

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

#17 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

The best thing about this concept is that in 2016 we can see how close your lay-out design was to RMC's design. I like how this way of building is a combination of a recreation and a custom ride: you will recreate the supports, but the track will be custom. We already invented a verb for it: to RMC.

Posted Image

#18 GravitySnake

GravitySnake

Construction Worker

• 124 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

F**k, you got me there.

I want to see a zero-g roll into the second turn.

#19 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

That looks like the first element is going to be sooo dope. It seems tight, but maybe a huge overbank? Looks like a nice long layout, but I can't really predict any of the elements.

Not exactly an over bank, but that's the closest thing to call it!

Your gonna recreate Roar by RMC. This should be interesting.

Not exactly! There has been no official release of what RMC will do (or if it is even RMC, though it most likely is) at SFDK, but I am very excited to see what happens with the ride!

Please include at least a few normal airtime hills and/or camel backs. RMC does some really cool elements, but nothing tops the classic pop of airtime you get on those.

Yeah like ^ said, it would be nice to have some airtime hills because RMCs are kinda short and don't have many.

You both address a great point. Though RMC rides are wicked crazy, they include lots of airtime through the use of hills and such. I've decided to do a double-down, later on in the layout. Wicked Cyclone included one and gosh was it great! That element is also a classic wooden element!

You know, you should have built a recreation of the original Roar first. Like that you could have put more pictures of the deconstruction of Roar :P
Just to make this thread appear even more realistic than it already is!

Anyway, I love the effort you put in the little story line, you should keep a part of it for the final video. Or not, as you which :P

Good luck!

Haha, I should have! It's actually a fairly long ride and my original layout was very ambitious, following the entire layout to the end. Sadly, with K'nex, that just won't be possible. With that said, the part of the ride where I planned on building outside turns and low zero-g rolls won't make it in the layout :/

This is a very creative concept, I like it. So far it looks very nice and tidy, keep it up! =)

The best thing about this concept is that in 2016 we can see how close your lay-out design was to RMC's design. I like how this way of building is a combination of a recreation and a custom ride: you will recreate the supports, but the track will be custom. We already invented a verb for it: to RMC.

Thank you to the both of you! I agree with you two, as I'm super stoked with this concept. I hopped right on the idea because I wanted to be the very first to do it!

F**k, you got me there.

I want to see a zero-g roll into the second turn.

Ha, okay then. And a zero-g roll will appear pretty soon in the layout.

---

Okay, big update coming up. A lot has been built, including the first usage of RMC-style supports on an over banked section of track. (For those who are interested, there are some up-close pictures of the RMC-style supports on the ride at the bottom of the page in a spoiler).

Overviews
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Drop (Which appears to be left near identical to the original. I've overheard that speed, "the preservation of an iconic piece of the ride", along with a few other factors drove RMC to keep the original style and shaping of the drop)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Over bank/dive (Whatever the element is, its shape is very similar, if not identical, to that of one of the iconic elements on Holiday World's Thunderbird)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

An up-close look at the RMC-style supports:
Spoiler

Okay cool. That's it for now!

I think the shaping is pretty okay on the element that I just built, but I'd love some criticism on specific shaping issues. I'll fix those (if any) and move onto the next element which will replace the very large airtime hill! I'm very excited for this next element, in shaping and supporting this thing! :D

Comment! :P

Edited by Jumpge, 01 August 2015 - 07:58 PM.

Posted Image

#20 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Wow, the only complaint I have, and it really isn't much, is that the crest of the dive loop (?) turns at the top. This lateral move might affect your speed conservation further on in the layout.
The red arrow indicates the spot.

Other than that, it looks awesome!
Spoiler

Edited by IonZer0, 10 August 2015 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11