Duelling Coaster

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys, it's been a long time  ;)! Anyways, I have been building a little bit this weekend. I'm working on a duelling coaster and I have some great ideas for this ride which you will discover during the construction. One thing I can say is that it'll be 'massively' automated haha!

1.1_zps6w8qvjdt.jpg

1.3_zpsoiwe3zwr.jpg

1.2_zpsoqlzpxus.jpg

:ph34r:

• Coasterman345 likes this

Posted Image

#2 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

It has been a while. I like the minimalistic support style so far. It looks like it bends a small amount but nothing really to worry about if it's very strong.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#3 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

• 786 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Oh god yes. Maarten, you will do amazing things on this coaster. Good luck.

banner_georgia_scorcher3_sfog_0.jpg?itok

#4 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

Great to see you back!

Posted Image

#5 Coasterman345

Coasterman345

Carp Diem

• 610 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:05 PM

Please tell me the inner track in the last picture goes under the outer track side. That would be so cool! Looks great, I always love dueling roller coasters.

[SIGPIC]

Signature (Current)

[/SIGPIC]

“Reality continues to ruin my life.” ― Bill Watterson

#6 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Welcome to SSCoasters, it is great to see new members join the forum! :P

Posted Image

#7 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

It's good to see you building again.

#8 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

I wanted to see a huge looper from you but got to Start somewhere lol.

#9 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

It has been a while. I like the minimalistic support style so far. It looks like it bends a small amount but nothing really to worry about if it's very strong.

It does indeed bend, but I'll add more supports, this was just to keep it upright :P.

Oh god yes. Maarten, you will do amazing things on this coaster. Good luck.

I hope I'll do amazing things on this coaster haha!

Great to see you back!

Thanks man!

Please tell me the inner track in the last picture goes under the outer track side. That would be so cool! Looks great, I always love dueling roller coasters.

Sure it will!

Welcome to SSCoasters, it is great to see new members join the forum! :P

Hey, nice to meet you, my name is Maarten.

It's good to see you building again.

Thanks!

I wanted to see a huge looper from you but got to Start somewhere lol.

I won't be building any huge things anytime soon, I'm building on my room now instead of downstairs, which means I'm greatly reduced in building space.

I got some kind of update for you guys, I haven't done anything on the coaster, but since I am building on my own room I wanted my K'nex collection to be more manageable. So that is why I built these four boxes which basicly store all of my pieces (apart from some pieces I never use). I think I'll paint them as well.

DuelCoaster2.2_zpsuzl3edq6.jpg

DuelCoaster2.1_zpscfdphywa.jpg

DuelCoaster2.3_zps9huvt6j6.jpg

Edited by maarten12, 24 October 2015 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image

#10 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:42 AM

I love that organisation :D Do the boxes all slide nicely under your bed as well? Excellent stuff.

#11 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

That's a really good Idea! I wouldn't paint the boxes until you take everything out. :P Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next update!

EDIT: Why don't you post those pics on the "How much K'nex do you own" thread?

Edited by Spaghetti, 24 October 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#12 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:34 PM

I love that organisation :D Do the boxes all slide nicely under your bed as well? Excellent stuff.

Yes, they all slide under my bed :).

That's a really good Idea! I wouldn't paint the boxes until you take everything out. :P Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next update!

EDIT: Why don't you post those pics on the "How much K'nex do you own" thread?

I'll take everything out before I paint it haha! I could indeed post them on that thread.

So this time I have got a real update for you. I have been working on both the lifts and the station. Basically one of the two lifts is ready, the other one still has to be finished just like the station. I am using the same style for the platform of the station as on my Full Circuit coaster, however I'll try to be more creative considering the roof and stairs and all that kind of stuff. Also note there'll only be one station, I guess you guys know what that means ;).

DuelCoaster3.1_zpsirycd5fd.jpg

DuelCoaster3.4_zpszotkeewz.jpg

DuelCoaster3.3_zpsp3gey7fe.jpg

DuelCoaster3.2_zpsweaiwntw.jpg

Posted Image

#13 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:13 PM

Yay! Another mobius strip coaster! I always loved those kinds of coasters and I highly doubt this will be any different. Great job so far.

#14 Spaghetti

Spaghetti

• 786 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

For some reason, I thought it was a Flying Dutchman. Anyway, do you plan on making two or four trains run on this coaster?

#15 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

I really like both lift hills, what I like the most is that they aren't parallel but shifted a little bit.

The station looks nice !

looking forward to see more of this build:) 

#16 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

I really like the Twisted Colossus, one-track, "dueling" concept for this coaster! I'm excited to see the automation too as I assume there will be lots of work going into the automation of this ride!

As for the shaping of the twisty section under the lift, it seems a little misshapen and under supported.

Posted Image

#17 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

The concept of a one-track duelling coaster similar to Twisted Colossus appeals to me. Although one lifthill is hardly visible from some angles due to the other one, I still like the look of two lifthills next to each other. The blue-rod base allowed a neat configuration of the 12V motors. The pre-lift section looks fantastic, I like how it goes underneath the station. 

What I really look forward to mostly is seeing all the automation on this ride. From what I have heard, you will automate basically everything. :)

Posted Image

#18 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:47 AM

Whenever I see this, it reminds me of more compact, steel version of Lightning Racer. How you get the trains to duel will be an interesting problem to solve. Loving your work so far.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#19 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Yay! Another mobius strip coaster! I always loved those kinds of coasters and I highly doubt this will be any different. Great job so far.

Thank you.

For some reason, I thought it was a Flying Dutchman. Anyway, do you plan on making two or four trains run on this coaster?

I am planning on running four trains on this coaster.

I really like both lift hills, what I like the most is that they aren't parallel but shifted a little bit.

The station looks nice !

looking forward to see more of this build:) 

Scroll down quickly, because there's an update ;).

I really like the Twisted Colossus, one-track, "dueling" concept for this coaster! I'm excited to see the automation too as I assume there will be lots of work going into the automation of this ride!

As for the shaping of the twisty section under the lift, it seems a little misshapen and under supported.

I have to agree with you on that one. I didn't really like the twisty section under the station as well, so I changed it, however I'm still not entirely sure whether I'm happy with it.

The concept of a one-track duelling coaster similar to Twisted Colossus appeals to me. Although one lifthill is hardly visible from some angles due to the other one, I still like the look of two lifthills next to each other. The blue-rod base allowed a neat configuration of the 12V motors. The pre-lift section looks fantastic, I like how it goes underneath the station. 

What I really look forward to mostly is seeing all the automation on this ride. From what I have heard, you will automate basically everything. :)

Yes, I will basically automate everything, still not decided whether or not to fully automate the transfer section (taking trains on and off the track by using motors/servos and sensors instead of doing that manually).

Whenever I see this, it reminds me of more compact, steel version of Lightning Racer. How you get the trains to duel will be an interesting problem to solve. Loving your work so far.

Getting the trains to duel should work as long as I will be able to get them on the lift at the same time.

I have made quite a lot of progress. I am still working on the drop of the first track though, which has to go under the drop of track two which I have already built. As you can see the pullout of the drop that has been built is getting quite close to the brakes/transfer area, so I'll be finishing that area first in order to determine how much space I'll have for the pullout/next element. I will soon be starting to place some sensors as well, because some places will be hard to reach when more and more track will be in the whole area.

DuelCoaster4.1_zpsaurkpoig.jpg

DuelCoaster4.2_zpsi6f4zoto.jpg

DuelCoaster4.3_zpsv0gnp8xa.jpg

DuelCoaster4.4_zpsaete745t.jpg

DuelCoaster4.5_zpsozjnbdet.jpg

Posted Image

#20 GER Seano

GER Seano

GERMAN K'nex user

• 154 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:44 AM