Duelling Coaster

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Zorn

Zorn

I build stuff

• 1108 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

I'm really digging this so far!  I think it would be awesome if you automated the transfer section,  but I know that adds a good bit of extra work.

Looking forward to watch the construction of this one. :)

Check me out

Youtube

#22 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

That looks amazing! You should make the second track interlock with the inversion on that drop, not sure how that would work, but it would look really cool! I think it could work if you made the second track do an inversion over the pre-drop on the first track.

If you aren't already doing that.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 30 November 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#23 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

Looks cool so far, cant wait to see more of this layout! Will the trains be three cars long?

#24 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:24 PM

That drop makes me happy.

#25 KKid99

KKid99

Ejector Airtime Lover

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

I absolutely love how the coasters' drops will interlock. The shaping is looking beautiful as well. Glad to see another mobius loop coaster on SSC as well!  (thumbsup)

"Less pieces = more fun . . ." (H)

- KKid99

#26 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

I thought my drop on Chicane was difficult to build but this must have been a pain in the ass! :P
Have to say though this looks fantastic :)

#27 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

The drop looks fantastic, both shaping- and supporting-wise! My thoughts are that the two drops will interlock, which would be awesome. Space might be an issue later on, but as for now everything looks good. 

Posted Image

#28 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Wow, I can certainly say I did not expect that.  That drop is awesome!  Shaping looks fine, but if I were to be very nit-picky, especially in the second picture, I would say that the roll looks lopsided.  The first half is very tight, but then it seems to stay at the same angle for too long. (The space between the two tallest supports)  If you were to make the tallest support hold the track at more of a vertical angle, then adjust the next couple accordingly, it should fix the funky shaping.

Edited by IonZer0, 30 November 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Posted Image

TOP 10

1. I305 2. Fury325 3. Skyrush 4. Manta 5. Thunderhead 6. Stormrunner 7. Wildcat 8. Fahrenheit 9. Intimidator 10. Wild Eagle

I305 Count: 11

#29 WSWAoasters

WSWAoasters

• 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:31 AM

0_0... For real!? This is insane! Can't wait to see what else you have instore! (thumbsup)

#30 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:48 AM

Oh my goodness ....... that coaster looks SO damn nice so far O__O 

I hope you've got the space to build:)

-GKC

Space definitely is an issue now that I don't build downstairs anymore. But oh well this is the only option I have got, my parents definitely won't allow me to build downstairs anymore, which I can fully understand.

I'm really digging this so far!  I think it would be awesome if you automated the transfer section,  but I know that adds a good bit of extra work.

Looking forward to watch the construction of this one. :)

About the transfer section, I'd still like to automate it, but I have no idea where to put it as you can see on the pictures.

That looks amazing! You should make the second track interlock with the inversion on that drop, not sure how that would work, but it would look really cool! I think it could work if you made the second track do an inversion over the pre-drop on the first track.

If you aren't already doing that.

Does it interlock as you expected it to be?

Looks cool so far, cant wait to see more of this layout! Will the trains be three cars long?

Yes, the trains will be three cars long. Main reason for this is that I can keep the brakes, station and transfer area relatively small.

That drop makes me happy.

Good, does the rest make you happy as well? :D

I absolutely love how the coasters' drops will interlock. The shaping is looking beautiful as well. Glad to see another mobius loop coaster on SSC as well!  (thumbsup)

I'm glad you're liking it so far!

I thought my drop on Chicane was difficult to build but this must have been a pain in the ass! :P
Have to say though this looks fantastic :)

Thanks a lot :).

The drop looks fantastic, both shaping- and supporting-wise! My thoughts are that the two drops will interlock, which would be awesome. Space might be an issue later on, but as for now everything looks good. 

Thank you! Actually space hasn't really been a problem yet, I foresee some problems with the transfer track/brakes leading into the station though haha.

Wow, I can certainly say I did not expect that.  That drop is awesome!  Shaping looks fine, but if I were to be very nit-picky, especially in the second picture, I would say that the roll looks lopsided.  The first half is very tight, but then it seems to stay at the same angle for too long. (The space between the two tallest supports)  If you were to make the tallest support hold the track at more of a vertical angle, then adjust the next couple accordingly, it should fix the funky shaping.

Uhm yes, I see what you mean there, seems like its twist isn't the same throughout the drop. The problem here is that I do not feel like going back now that I have built so much more already. I do really appreciate your feedback though!

0_0... For real!? This is insane! Can't wait to see what else you have instore! (thumbsup)

Scroll down quickly, I have got quite a few nice pictures to show!

So I have built quite a lot. Both drops have been finished, followed by an immelmann/sidewinder, a high speed turn and a banana roll. After the banana roll I plan on having some kind of zero-g roll, as you can see on the pictures. This is far from finished though, so no criticism on that one please ;). I think that is all I have to say about the trackwork. I started working on the electronics as well, nothing to show to you guys about that though. I have simply started working on the code and with that of course determining how many sensors I'll be using and where I'll place them. I should be able to show you a bit of the progress I make with the electronics in the next update!

DuelCoaster5.1_zpsjbfoiegj.jpg

DuelCoaster5.2_zpspgr3kedg.jpg

DuelCoaster5.10_zpsvr931v1d.jpg

DuelCoaster5.4_zpss3edrceb.jpg

DuelCoaster5.5_zpsnpruispl.jpg

DuelCoaster5.3_zpsquofgzqf.jpg

DuelCoaster5.6_zpsiwzdqjyu.jpg

DuelCoaster5.7_zpsl2sftpdb.jpg

DuelCoaster5.9_zpsovssegto.jpg

DuelCoaster5.8_zpsvssp6jrb.jpg

:ph34r:

Posted Image

#31 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

Wow, just wow. Everything seems to flow really well and I didn't think this much would be posted in one update! I can see how much of a pain it would be to build in that tight of a space. And those are some funky elements indeed. I applaud for being able to build in such a tight space. Nice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#32 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

The trackwork on this coaster is absolutely flawless! I like where you are going with the overbank and Zero-G Roll, you utilize the available space well. Do I also spot a heartline roll on the first picture?  :D

Posted Image

#33 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

so smooth!  Great looking coaster.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#34 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

It has been a while but wow, it's been worth it. I see that cheeky little corkscrew at the end there. :D

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#35 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

Wow, just wow. Everything seems to flow really well and I didn't think this much would be posted in one update! I can see how much of a pain it would be to build in that tight of a space. And those are some funky elements indeed. I applaud for being able to build in such a tight space. Nice.

Well, after such a long time I couldn't let you guys down with a small update ;).

The trackwork on this coaster is absolutely flawless! I like where you are going with the overbank and Zero-G Roll, you utilize the available space well. Do I also spot a heartline roll on the first picture?  :D

Thanks, I hope you will like the next elements I have planned as well. There is indeed going to be a heartline roll in the pre-lift section of the second track.

so smooth!  Great looking coaster.

Thanks a lot :)!

It has been a while but wow, it's been worth it. I see that cheeky little corkscrew at the end there. :D

Haha, yes it's been a while.

No real update this time, just a test video ;). I did finish the zero-g as you can see, I'll get you some pictures of that in the next update. 

:ph34r:

Posted Image

#36 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

They do duel a lot better than I expected them too with the layouts. Hopefully falling off the lift hill, the timing is roughly the same. This does remind me of The Smiler with the way the trains interact.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#37 Mister Piglette

Mister Piglette

Entry Engineer

• 740 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

I was thrilled when I got to see this video because it performs just as it looks. I can't wait to see more of this build!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pigs are better when green.

#38 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1152 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

Very awesome dude, cant wait fro what is next! I like the 12v motor configuration, I have never seen them vertical like that before. Are you using a tension wheel for each lift hill btw?

#39 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Ah, that song (Resurrection) just took me back a few years.

I love how much the two tracks interact! The pacing does seem quite slow in some places, but the trains still duel well. It would be really cool to see some interlocking corkscrews near the end, but I don't know how much of the layout you've planned already. I also recently got into Arduino, so I'm interested to see some of your electronics!

EDIT: And here we go listening through my old trance playlist again. Great stuff.

#40 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

I missed this until recently, it's so flowing! I really like the height you're getting out of that roll after the turn coming from the lift.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image