coaster help loss of energy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IndyLukes

IndyLukes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

So I'm working on my first custom K'nex coaster and I'm running into some problems. The first hill is not nearly as tall as the drop, yet the train barely makes it over the first hill and doesn't make it over the second. I've used almost every piece I have atm to add support to the structure so that it shakes as little as possible, yet it doesnt change anything. Do you know how I could fix this?

Attached Files

#2 IndyLukes

IndyLukes

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

BTW the .MOV file is just a video of it don't worry

#3 sean9782

sean9782

Construction Foreman

• 124 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

A few things that may help you:

1. Instead of connecting the flexible green rods that make up the track with ladder connectors, layer them. If you make it so that they are overlapping each other you can space your crossties more evenly which will help the track shape and your speed.
  2. A turn directly after the drop, especially one with a small radius like that, will KILL your speed. Try raising the turn into more of an overbanked curve.
  3. Lubricate your trains. There are plenty of great tutorials on the forums to help you get started, especially this one- http://www.sscoaster...ng-your-trains/. Give it a read.

Try all three of these and you should be able to get a good bit more out of that hill. Don't forget to start a construction thread so that others can follow your project and help. Good luck!

4 Windseekers and counting...