Runaway Rainbow

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

A few months ago, I was asked to build a working coaster display for my local pride event. The event has been indefinitely postponed due to coronavirus, but I still wanted to build the model and do something to support the cause. So . . . here's the first update video! As you can see, these will be a little different than my normal construction updates. 

#2 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

Excited to see what this is going to be. You continually do something new and interesting with building your coasters and it's really great to see!

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#3 wrenchrev2005

wrenchrev2005

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

This should be interesting. I have family members who identify under the LGBT+ spectrum, so I understand their struggles even though I myself don't fall under it. I like the idea you have going here with the update videos and the coaster, and I'm looking forward to watching the videos and the progress on the project!

Shame that COVID-19 caused the event to be postponed...

#4 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Here with another update and my first story.

The rainbow structure will be the focal point of the ride. With the lift going over it, and a sort of corkscrew stall under it.

#5 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:53 AM

I should have been able to guess that was what the structure was for... That will be a humongous corkscrew so can't wait to see it! 

I didn't realize this was originally for a large event, really disappointing it got cancelled but it is what it is. The story was really great. Everyone should be like Slushie (however its spelt).

39751.png

#6 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 07:46 PM

^Since it's not his real name, I don't think anyone else knows how to spell it either!

Another update, and another story about another friend. The video doesn't show it, but this drop was super annoying to shape. I'm quite happy with it now though.

• FrIeDeGgS likes this

#7 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

Looks good! It's hard to shape a drop and make it look right where the top has almost the same radius as the valley, but it turned out well!

39751.png

#8 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:38 AM

This is great I really love the narrative to your videos! That corkscrew kind of confuses me ...it's definitely not going to be a conventional corkscrew but I like it. Can't wait for an update!

#9 Britfag

Britfag

Everybody's Russian!

• 3818 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:18 AM

Hey it has come out looking good though!

#10 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Thanks everyone!

I had to adjust some of the heights, but I got it working. Starting on a Stengel Dive now.

#11 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

Added some more hills and twisty sections.

#12 thegamingninja

thegamingninja

• 298 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

dam you have a lot of peices, you ever thought of doing any more recreations in the future?

#13 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I have a few ideas, but (other than finally focusing on the Star Wars coaster completion), I'm going to be slowing down on the new coaster construction after this one.

Final update is here. All that's left is the giant rainbow over the structure, and some finishing touches.

#14 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:01 PM

The coaster is complete! Enjoy the video!

But on a side note, finishing this coaster was a nightmare! I had to re-profile the bottom of the first drop at least 10 times. Turns out, 95 degree heat causes the K'nex plastic to get melty and out of shape. But then, if you overcorrect and use the stiff rods for the bottom of a curved drop, Jonnie's awesome wheels assemblies respond way to well to the each individual stiff rod, cause a lot of rattling back and forth, which reduces speed even more. So I had to come up with a good mixture of the two designs before the train would make it through the course. And now they fly through no matter what the temperature is.

Also, on a more personal note, thanks for all the positive responses, both here and on other social media. It means a lot to me.

#15 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:36 PM

Great job with the themeing as always. Is that train covered in glitter? That's pretty dope. I like what you did with the top gun stall loop (first element, I don't know if it's still just a loop or not) on the underside of the rainbow. :)

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#16 Muzz135

Muzz135

What to build.....

• 706 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

I’ve just watched through all of the updates and the final video for the first time and I have to say I really enjoyed them! This is not only a great coaster but also a great insight into a part your life. Thank you for sharing! :D

And, as always, I can’t wait to see what you build next!

#17 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:28 PM

Thanks! Also, I used glitter paper that comes in sticker sheets off of Amazon. So it looks just like glitter - just without the hassle/nightmare of getting glitter everywhere! I'll be taking it easy with building for a while, now, as I have to focus a bit more on work stuff right now. But if all goes well, I'll be going back to (and finishing) the Star Wars Coaster soon.

#18 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Chaos your videos are produced really well. I love watching thank you for being so open and inclusive...and taking great footage...esp the backward POV.