Desk coaster. Not sure what to name it.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrIeDeGgS

FrIeDeGgS

Eurofighter Enthusiast

• 805 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:41 PM

Hey y'all, I've returned from the dead once again. I decided to start a fairly small compact coaster on my desk, since I didn't want to start a big project yet, and I don't have much need for the space anyways. My general plan was to build it around my laptop in a way that I can still use it and have space for my mouse on the right, and space to plug things in the USB ports on the left, so the lifts go behind my laptop, and then the main parts of the coaster are to the left and right of my laptop. Other than that, I'm just winging it for the layout.

The first lift is normal, and the second is a vertical lift. Yeah, I like building them if you couldn't tell. It starts with a right turn, then turns left 180 degrees into a dive loop, rises up and to the right into a bit of a wave turn under the first turn and over my mousepad, and then spirals down into the second vertical lift. There wasn't much space at all, so I'm satisfied with what I could fit. The dive loop was pretty difficult to fit in too but I think it turned out well. I'm not exactly sure where I'll go with the second half of this, but it'll be much longer and more focused on inversions. I have a lot more space to work with on the left side. Anyways, pictures:

ka5LNit.jpg

Overview

AErrvgI.jpg

First turns and dive loop

H8i3Eiu.jpg

M68fJIE.jpg

go2O2TE.jpg

Wave turn. Might not technically be one, but it's close enough and would give the same sort of sideways ejector at the top.

t8WtbMG.jpg

Final helix

64qqILY.jpg

9uWgbJ2.jpg

Plenty of space for my mouse.

neuikid.jpg

That's all for now. I've recorded timelapses of what I've built up to this point, though I'm not sure if I'll use them. I'll have another update once I've built some of the second half. 

It's been a lot of fun so far to make this, even more so than some of my much larger-scale coasters. There's some different challenges in trying to make a super compact coaster, and it's been fun to make something more abstract without worrying about realism as much. If you've been wanting to build but haven't been able to for whatever reason, I'd suggest making something like this. Would be nice to see some more activity on here again.

39751.png

Sad that I no longer have 69 internets

Current Project: Un-named Eurofighter

#2 Wyatt

Wyatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:32 AM

Very cool and colorful.  If you put some good space theming the name (Ursa Minor) will fit this ride perfectly.  

#3 Batwing

Batwing

Architect

• 375 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:29 PM

Could you make it any more distracting?  :P Looks great though, I love the wave turn and the track density.  Building solely with micro parts was definitely the right choice and your speed conservation looks good too. The incline on the dive loop really makes it stand out!

I love the fact that your signature still reads "current project: unnamed eurofighter" - no matter what else is happening in the world, you'll always be building a beyond vertical drop somewhere!

Posted Image

#4 Steelwheels33

Steelwheels33

Construction Foreman

• 112 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

Sorry to bump threads but there really aren't many other threads anyway! I commend you for making a coaster that sits on your desk. Even tho it's micro knex i can still see that being a challenge. I work from home all day and this would be so cool (and yes...sooo distracting.) Def. Speaks to covid Times!