RCTyrants 4D Cars

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

I found the old 4D cars tutorial, the images are horrible but you can still tell what to do. I am posting the tutorial here so it's convenient. I don't take any credit for the images, or the design. If anyone can redo this tutorial, and take better pictures I'll be glap to update the current ones, PM me if youve taken better pictures.

Beginning Tips From the Maker

In this tutorial, you will learn how to make an Arrow 4-D Roller Coaster car for the Knex’ Screamin’ Serpent. These cars are based off of the famous Arrow 4-D Coaster, the only one in the world at this time is called X, and is found at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The coaster itself combines the flying aspect of a coaster, along with a unique twist, as your riding, your car spins around. A common misconception is that the cars spin freely, but this is not true, they are controlled by a 4th rail; but we won’t go into that much detail. The cars on the Knex model are free spinning so they are not controlled by anything except for gravity. Please note that this tutorial is meant for people who have had experience building Knex’ coasters, since this will require some skill to master.

Step 1

Posted Image
The required materials are:

8 Half-Moon connectors

8 Small black rods

6 Brown connectors

4 Small Silver rods

2 Light Blue Spacers

4 Silver Spacers

4 Tan Spacers

6 45° Grey Connectors

2 135° Green Connectors

2 Blue Rods

2 Blue Rod ends

1 Long Grey Rod

1 Screamin’ Serpent Car

Step 2

Posted Image

Take one brown connector, one small black rod, and one 45° grey connector, and attach them as shown in the image. Do this 4 times, each of these are the seats in which the figures will sit in when riding your coaster.

Step 3

Posted Image

Take one blue rod and attach two of the seats that you created in the previous step, then take 4 half-moon connectors and attach them as shown in the image. Do this 2 times. This is now the entire side of one of the cars, up to two figures can now ride side-by-side.

Step 4

Posted Image

Now put one Blue rod end onto the end of the long grey rod, after that, put one blue spacer and a tan spacer with the pointy end facing inwards. Then slide on of the completed seats down, make sure it fits in with the tan spacer. Then add another tan spacer to the other side, make sure that the pointy end is inverse from the first one, this will make sure the seat does not rock back and forth. After that, slide in two of the silver spacers. It should look like the image shown.

Step 5

Posted Image

Now you need to make the part that will go on the car and support the seats. You need to attach one 135° connector to a silver rod, then attach a small black rod to the other end. Attach a 45° connector to the end of the black rod, then attach another black rod to the end of the 45° connector, finally attach a brown connector and another small silver rod. Do this 2 times. It should look like the picture shown.

Step 6

Posted Image

This part is tricky if you have never created custom cars before. What you need to do is attach the two silver ends into the slots where the figurines would normally sit, the end part should be about ¼ inch farther in than the front, it should look like the picture. Do this 2 times.

Step 7

Posted Image

The car so far should look like the picture. There are only a few more steps, the next part will be a little tricky so just hold in there, it will be worth it.

Step 8

Posted Image

Now you need to thread the long grey rod with one complete seat in through the brown connectors. Then pretty much do a mirror of what you did in step 3, putting the two silver spacers in, then a tan one, then the seat, another tan and finally the blue spacer and the rod end. Right now your car should look like the picture.

Step 9(final)

Posted Image

Congratulations, you have just finished making an Arrow 4-D Car.

Posted Image
^click me^
Past Coasters: Supernova

Unrelated - Apogee Rockets

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Wow, thanks for finding those pictures. If I ever decide to build a 4d coaster, I'll probably use that.

#3 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

no problem. I can also put up westside7th's standup cars tutorial if anyone wants me to. When I get a camera that works ill turn QAFS's inverted cars into a tut, and I'll put up a tut of my Deja Vu cars.

Posted Image
^click me^

#4 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

I included pictures of the 4D cars I made a while ago.

#5 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, same thing Jogumpie, Nice call.

Posted Image
^click me^

#6 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

Whoa! I thought that the people wouldn't be on their but this was THE BEST! I might give it a try sometime.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 poizone

poizone

Small Spaces

• 995 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

I tryed the tutorial once, but it didnt work very well, though i wasnt very experienced.

60th post!

Currently compiling a massive list

#8 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

That is like, the oldest tutorial on this site ever.

Anyway, I did make a very simple inverted train(2 seater). They look like seats, but I haven't figured how to make the restraints yet.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#9 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

Those are the worst (imo) 4-d cars ever. I'll post pics of good one's in a couple mins.

#10 Chaos

Chaos

Lead Engineer

• 1348 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

I don't think they're the worst. If I recall, back when X was new, there were tons of 4d coaster with much worse car designs.

#11 TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams

*Redunk*

• 3123 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

those are my least favorite.

Okay, these aren't the greatest, I only built them in about 5 minuts. But use these if your going to build a 4-D

Posted Image

Posted Image

*Also, this should be the official car tutorial topic.

#12 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

That's very good! Why do 4-D cars face backwards though?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

I dunno, but if you look at X, you are facing abckwards as you go up the lift, nice call TD, those look good. I think its personal prefrence thoguh.

Posted Image
^click me^

#14 imakecoasters

imakecoasters

2X "Most Entertaining"

• 3797 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

Yeah I know X faces backwards to. But I don't like KNEX 4D 's though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Neither do I, becasue X's traisn look cool facing backwards, the SS train just plain looks gay, but it's better to have gay trains, rather than the ss train when making a 4D.

Posted Image
^click me^

#16 microman171

microman171

Weapons Enthusiast

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:13 AM

Here I am doing two noobish things:
I am bringing up a fairly old topic (don't know about this for sure)
And I have this question:

What is a 4D coaster? I have tried google searching this and no avail. Can you please post links or picture showing waht it is?

Thanks In Advance

Microman171

#17 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Posted Image

:)

EDIT: Well, here is a picture of a 4D coaster train.

This post is spam, but i wont delete it because it's helpful. There needs to be at least five words-CC10

#18 Westside7th

Westside7th

Adrenaline Junkie

• 4275 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

Here is the tutorial for my stand-up cars that were used on Banshee, K2, and Night Rider. The used to be on the homepage before the Tutorial page was taken down.

The Coasters of Westside7th

2003 - Thunder Twist | Iron Falcon | Insanity | Voltage | Banshee

2004 - Centaur | Polar Plunge | Chaos | Nessie | Eclipse | Desert Eagle

2005 - K2 | Jaguar

#19 FynexFox

FynexFox

SSC Elite...

• 606 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:03 PM

Nice call westside7th. Microman - don't be afriad to ask qustions, theres always someone thats bound to know.

Ive got the pics of how to put my deja vu cars together, I just have to get em developed:-)

Posted Image
^click me^

#20 microman171

microman171

Weapons Enthusiast

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:53 PM

I just saw the pic and how does it work does it rotate throughout the ride? Does it pivot so the heavest(spell) point is always pointing down?? Can I have some info please