fun rate coaster

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

I woke up around 7 and we left an hour later. We got there a bit past 9, because we (not me) wanted to do the safari. I got a lot of pictures of animals and Kingda Ka, El Toro, and Medusa, and here they are. My dad didn’t let me bring the camera in so these are the only pictures I have.

Kingda Ka from a distance-
Posted Image

A bit closer-
Posted Image

Tophat-
Posted Image

Less Trees-
Posted Image

Medusa from afar-
Posted Image

El Toro's Predrop-
Posted Image

Kingda Ka w/o Trees
Posted Image

Medusa, but an ostrich got in my way-
Posted Image

Kingda Ka's pull-out
Posted Image

Almost all of it-
Posted Image

El Toro from a distance-
Posted Image

An ostrich giving a guy directions-
Posted Image

This guy tried to eat my window-
Posted Image

Bears-
Posted Image

Ka + Lake-
Posted Image

Medusa's Loop-
Posted Image

Deja Vu!-
Posted Image

Deja Deja Vu!-
Posted Image

Kingda's Tower-
Posted Image

Uh-oh...
Posted Image

Some goods shots from the exit-
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Superman Ultimate Flight from the car-
Posted Image

Scream Machine from the car-
Posted Image

Kingda Ka from the car-
Posted Image

The safari was OK, but this year the baboons were fenced off which sucked because they used to jump on your car and sit on your mirror.

We then headed in, and on the sign it said KK was closed. I was piussed because it was closed last time we went.We headed to went to Superman Ultimate Flight. The line was longer then I thought it would be because it was the beginning of the day, but we wait probably 45 for front row. The drop is OK, but the begging of the pretzel loop is awesome. The rest is OK, and the in-line twist at the end isn't too great. 7/10 though.

Next up was Scream Machine. Don't ask me why I even bothered. This thing hurts. It's bumpy and your head constantly bashes against the OTSR. Right when you go into the MCBR there is a shot of ejector air if you sit in the middle. This ride is painful. Stay away! 4/10

Now we traveled to El Toro, and waited maybe 30 mintues for the middle. The cable lift is really fast. I decided to put a penny on the ground in front of me, and on the drop, I saw it rise a little, but after that first air hill I lost sight of it. This coaster is amazing, and there is so much air time, especially the one over the drop. The 90* banked turns are a bit rough at the end but there still awesome! 10/10!

Then we all (My mom, dad, cousin, and I) walked over to Rolling Thunder. The line was pretty short, but it took awhile to reload and unload, and they were only running One train on each side. We went in the back on the green side, and it was pretty rough, but there is good air, and it's fun for a classic. We won, but I bashed my elbow so it hurt a bit. 7/10.

In the middle of most of this, I saw KK running a few tests, then with people!! I convinced my parents to go check it out, and when I get there it's broken. We then went all the way over to the log flume and waited too long for one of the worst log flumes I've ridden. Most of it is traveling, and there are 3 rop, none of them good. The biggest one is only a bit steeper than then the lift. 3/10.

Next up was the mine train, which we all went on. We didn't too long, maybe 15 minutes, and the ride was OK, but bumpy slow, and short. 5/10

My cousin and I then got in line for medusa, where we waited 30 minutes approx. The begging is smooth, but after the MCBR, it's a bit rough. 7/10. After this, my cousin who's 10 didn't feel so good. He sat for a little bit, then we walked to the exit and ate lunch. He threw up a bit, and I had a bologna and cheese sandwhich, pringles, and chocolate. 7/10 for lunch. We saw KK testing again!

We went back in and went to the new ride, the dark knight. To be honest...it sucks. We waited over 45 minutes, and all it is is a preshow, then the ride which is a standard wild mouse with theming that does'nt make much sense. The preshow was longer than the ride, and pointless. 4/10, way overrated and over hyped.

My dad then wanted to see the sea show, with dolphins and sea lions. The show was OK, but Hershey's was better. 6/10. After that, he wanted to see the lion show, next to KK. This show was OK, but all the Tiger did was eat meat. 6/10. Kingda Ka was open! I went there, alone because no one else wanted to.

The line before you get into the station is short, deciving short because you wait a while in the station. I decided to go for the front. Bad move, because I waited well over an hour. The guy that I rode with said it was worth it. And that CP is way better then this. And that SF needs more flats. Like a power tower. Anyway, once I got on it was awesome. I swear there is a brake before the pull-in though. I don't remember much, but I think it was awesome! 9/10.

My parents were pissed at me for making them wait, but then we headed back over to El Toro. My mom and cousin took RT and my dad and I took El Toro. Again, it was awesome. We then took the chairlift over to Nitro. By this point the sun was pretty much gone and it was time to go.

Again, we split up, and my dad and I took Nitro while "they" took Congo Rapids. There was no wait for thrid row, and we took it. The first drop is great, and there is a surprising amount of air on the J-turn. However, the air hill doesn't give too much air the hammerhead was a bit dull. The helix before the MCBR is painful and hurt my stomach. The hills into the station and cool, and give some good airtime. We stayed on because there was still no wait. Same thing. 8/10...

We then just waited for my mom and cousin. After 10 minutes they came, and we left. Overall, it was pretty good. 8/10.

Posted Image

#2 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

**EDIT: NVM**

Anyways sounds fun. I personaly like Arrow loopers. Does KK always break down like that? It sounds like TTD is a much more reliable choice.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#3 AvalancheX

AvalancheX

81 Rides on KK

• 163 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

^No, Kingda Ka is very reliable this year. Of the eleven times I've gone this year, I haven't seen one breakdown. Maybe you just got unlucky, lol.

Was it windy when you went? Because Kingda Ka doesn't operate well when it's windy. Same when it's rainy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to CC10

#4 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

I wish I had a park like this in my hometown. We have SFMM but honestly this park looks like it would kick the shit out of SFMM.

And El Toro is still on my #1 coasters I HAVE TO RIDE list.

#5 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:56 PM

Those monkeys are nothing, I've seen turtle sex at a public zoo this summer, and little kids were watching, too!

And the Dark Knight does indeed suck. Balls. Glad you had a good day.

^^Lazor, you WON'T like the Scream Machine. It's nothing like the Carolina Cyclone: the height adds to its pain.

^And Ace, you will literally implode in your socks if you don't ride it. Insanist airtime on a coaster without spending thousands on airfare to Europe or Korea.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#6 lilmikemarin

lilmikemarin

Altitu... Fuzion !

• 1484 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

I was supposed to go this day. :/ Looks like you had a good trip. I still haven't went yet this season

Posted Image
My Coasters:
Zepto! - Gallery
Turbulence - Gallery , Video
Grizzly - Gallery , Video

#7 PlanetSaturn56

PlanetSaturn56

Rockin' your world.

• 2391 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ace, I feel your pain. Plus I've never been to SFMM : /

But my mom's co worker is a big roller coaster enthusiast and he's planning to take me with his kids this summer..

Having fun at other people's expense

#8 sixflagsfreak56

sixflagsfreak56

GADV Park Serv Supervisor

• 2962 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Glad you had fun. I was off that day. From the shot you took in the parking lot it looks like the crowds were very light that day.

#9 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

Lazor- KK seems to break down a lot, but it might be me because the last three parks I have been to a coaster has broken down either when I'm on it or about to go on it.

Heartline- I am unlucky, read what I said to Lazor. It was a bit windy and cloudy too. (It rained for a minute too.)

Ace- This park is O.K. but we need more flats.

TH- I think the monkey's were fighting, I have a video I will post. And I have seen turtle sex, on a field trip. It's pretty funny actually. Dark Knight is O.K but not worth the lines.

LMM- Why couldn't you go?

PS56- Have you been to Gadv?

SF56- Where do you work? And it got more crowded as the day went on because the weather got nicer.

Posted Image

#10 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Waiting for the front of Ka was an excellent choice.

Nitro... 3rd row... not a good choice. First, last, or second to last is the way to go. Also, how could you not get airtime on the airhill in between the Hammerhead and J-Turn? Its on steroids with floater air. And if you dont like the extreme laterals in that helix then something is wrong. Those get me everytime.

Sounds like you had a good day though. I was just there today and had a great visit.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#11 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

Laterals in Nitro's helix? No there aren't; they're positive G's. But chubs is right, there's more airtime than that. Front row is the best.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#12 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

my bad my bad. They are positives. Good catch.

But yeah front is awesome for the view and offers a great ride.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#13 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

I dunno about the airtime on Nitro, of the three times I've ridden it(back, back, and front) this year I've gotten zero floater air except on the bunny hills at the end. The helix is great though, as always. I'm loving El Toro more and more though the more I ride it. Good to see you enjoyed it as well.

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#14 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Maybe try putting your legs up and letting your arms go limp. Talk about a weird feeling.

I personally like El Toro in the back more than the front, seemed smoother in the front but it had a lot of push-and-pull that only gave you airtime on the first half of the hills. The back throws you over them, except the buckels at the end.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fun, rate coaster