cobra vv looper b&m micro

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

So I have been working on a project for some time now with very little progress but I've never posted it here. This is what I have from the CoasterDynamix site,

So I've been planning a new lift to work with the Hydra train I bought a month ago. As many might have noticed the train drags along the lift track and is very difficult to get working with the current system. I know the CDStaff is making a new lift for the next coaster kit but I wanted to design my own lift just for the fun of it. Hey, I am an engineering student you know!

I plan on making a fully functional chain lift system using the current motor and some miniature Delrin chain. The chain will extend up and over the top of the lift so that there are no problems with the train not making it over the top. On a side note, I also have ideas for mechanical brakes, station, transfer track, and a control system...all to be integrated in a simple model for testing purposes.

Now I don't have any physical progress. I did build a temporary lift about 3 ft tall but it's going to be demolished for my new design. And I spliced two ties together to make a test tie for my brakes but it broke. I may mold my own ties for the brakes. I am currently entering parts in the computer so the actual design isn't finished. But I thought I would post some pics of the progress.

Posted Image

The flexible track with the main chassis of the floorless train and the running wheels. Also, the chain runs along the top of the ties.

Posted Image

This is the back profile of the track and train. As you can see there is a lot of clearance between the chain and train. Unfortunately the hook on the bottom is too wide to fit in the chain and a new hook will be designed.

Posted Image

Here is a 3d view of the chain. It is quite small and will work perfectly with the CoasterDynamix system!

Now I have 11 ft of chain and 5 sprockets already. I also have a design finished for the lift assembly but have not posted those plans. Unfortunately I am having a hard time figuring out how to fabricate the parts as I assumed I could do it at work, but I was denied. Still looking though. I hope to get the design up as well as some pictures of the chain.

*Insert signature here*

#2 DeAzncy

DeAzncy

Lead Engineer

• 1389 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

^wow, sounds sweet! i've always wanted to see an actual chain lift on CD...i never understood why they didnt... well, it's great that you're making one! update as much as you can:)

Posted Image

^Thnx CC10^

#3 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

^A spring is much cheaper and easier to produce and assemble.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#4 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Yea, the spring design is a lot easier. It uses less pieces, is cheaper, and is easier to assemble. I feel many builders would break or lose the chain if that were an option.

I am doing this because I would like to design a project and finish it. Though I am stuck on where to fabricate the parts, I am certain that I will finish this design.

*Insert signature here*

#5 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

/\yeah i agree

#6 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

I know your new here but that was considerd Spam. Plus this is a dead thread, and people don't like it when you bump them. Also people don't like when you make multiple threads for the same thing. On another note, Welcome to the forums!

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta
Coaster Count: 77

#7 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Not really dead if he made a quality post...it's still "in progress".

*Insert signature here*

#8 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:09 AM

^Yes, I guess you could say that, but his post was Spam.

LAZOR22SIG2.png
I305, El Toro, Goliath (SFoG), Time Machine, Talon, Apollo, Griffon, Georgia Scorcher, Nitro, Manta

#9 Sheikra_rocks

Sheikra_rocks

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Well, then I am just going to spam it up even more!

I too was going to use this idea for Sheikra model, but I decided not to due to the outrageous prices for the chains.

Coastergeek, i told you what happened.

#10 Sheikra_rocks

Sheikra_rocks

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

OOPs, I double posted!

Sorry to go off topic but I have to ask:

lazor, if he commented on what the person above him said, tell me how it was spam?

#11 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:54 PM

Yea, hopefully I can get mine to work. Then I could build you one!

Anyways, progress is really picking up. I have all the parts order and the design is near completion. Maybe some pictures later.

*Insert signature here*

#12 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Are you going to make the rest of a coaster or just a lift?

Posted Image

#13 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

The rest of the coaster for sure, but I would like to make a few modifications with the lift being the first one.

*Insert signature here*

#14 lazor 22

lazor 22

Enter The Rage

• 5967 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

lazor, if he commented on what the person above him said, tell me how it was spam?

Read what he said, Read the date of the post above. It's not like the CD forums here.

LAZOR22SIG2.png

#15 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:56 AM

^Okay, enough of this shit, Lazor.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#16 The KNex Weasel

The KNex Weasel

SSC's Jazz Pianist

• 2477 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

This sounds like a pretty cool coaster in the making. Good luck, coastergeek.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Credit to Spitfire.

Most recent success:
SL1M: You Don't Mess Around With It.

#17 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

Thanks, I'm actually working on it today and hopefully finishing the lift this weekend. I still have a design problem with the chain dog under the train. Here's what I posted on the CD forums:

I'm not sure how to make the chain dog on the train. The piece has to be less than .062 inches thick to go into the chain so I don't think it would be wise to shave down the plastic chain dogs to that thickness. I was thinking of using a torsion spring around a horizontal pin in the train spine but I can't find a spring that will wrap around a small pin (about 1/16 - 1/18 diam). Also I don't know how flexible the springs are. I can't equate the ratings to something I can grasp my mind around (.5 in-lbs. doesn't mean much to me).Any ideas?

*Insert signature here*

#18 Sheikra_rocks

Sheikra_rocks

Construction Worker

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:43 PM

Um, I did read lazor. the guy was agreeing with what coastergeek was saying about the spring.

You mods need to take a chill pill, if i or anyone else for that matter see a thread that we feel we have something to contribute, then i personally plan to contribute.

Because of you lazor this thread is now off topic, had you left it alone and let him post we wouldn't have had this conversation.

You are right lazor, it is not like the CD forums here, over there we have freedom!

Sorry coastergeek for going off topic in your topic, but it had to be said.

Anyway, how is this project coming along?

• DDRman732865 likes this

#19 Ace o Spades

Ace o Spades

Lead Engineer

• 2885 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

A cheap but inefficient way of making the chains is you could make it out of Alumilite plastic, like I do with my puzzles. The stuff cures in 3 minutes and is super easy to work with. However you need to learn how to make molds, which isn't too easy in itself.

Good luck!

#20 coastergeekrtc

coastergeekrtc

A God Among Users

• 2653 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

Already built and tested the lift track and chain assembly. It works well but there are some things to smooth out...literally. The plates at the top of the lift are not the best and need to be either filed down or re-made. And the chain isn't disengaging from the motor sprocket, so I need a guide as it leaves that sprocket. Pics later tomorrow, I have no camera.

I'm still looking into the chain dog on the train, as well.

*Insert signature here*

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cobra, vv looper b&m micro