Coaster55's Guide to Perfect Cars

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

This is a 1000+ word tutorial, skipping over any part of it could risk your cars not running like they would if every step is followed.

I’ve noticed a lot of newer members having problems with speed or asking questions about their cars, so here’s my tutorial on how to clean, lube and weight them. This guide is very basic, with things that a lot of the experienced members probably already know about, but most of the newer members don’t.

I’ll break this up in a few sections,

1) Separate the good cars from the bad

2) Cleaning
a) Taking apart
B) Leaving them together

3) Lubing

4) Weighting

1) Separate the Good Cars from the Bad

Just about everyone here buys their sets from Ebay, where the cars in the sets have been run before, at sometimes more than one house. Now you have these cars, which have probably built up a lot of stuff in the wheels. Some cars are newer and run better than others, so here’s how to get the best cars in your train.

There are two ways to test which cars are best for your train; the first is spinning the wheels individually with your fingers, and seeing which cars have the wheels that spin the longest. Make sure you spin the wheels at the same speed, or the results could be wrong. The other option will only work if you have something built, or are willing to build a test hill. Always use the same front car if you are testing middle/back cars, and always use the same back car if you test the front cars. Drop the train, and mark where each train with a different test car makes it. Obviously, the train that makes it the highest has the best cars, which are the ones you want in your train. Do this until you have narrowed down enough cars for your train. Try to get atleast 4 to 5 good cars in the train, too many or too few cars lose speed fast. If you need more cars, call or email Knex.com and they will sell you them.

2) Cleaning

Without clean cars, lubing and weighting will do very little to help. Most likely, your cars axles are covered in built up dust and other things that could get on them through shipping. There are two ways to get this off, one is taking the cars completely apart and wiping the axles, and the other is using a toothpick to try to get it off.

2) (Part 1) Taking the Cars Apart

I’ve never taken my cars completely apart, and they run perfectly, but I have taken them this far apart.

Start off by unscrewing the orange top of the cars from the wheel part. Once you get it off, the running wheels will come off. That’s as far as I’m going to take them apart, but you probably could get the wheels fully apart if you unscrewed all of the screws.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next you want to wipe off the axles of however many wheels you took out of your cars, and clean out the part where the axles go. If you’ve never done this before, there should be a lot in there. Rinse the black wheel base out in a sink, put the running wheels back in, and screw it back to the cars. Do not lube your cars yet; it will just make them worse.

2) (Part 2) Cleaning Without taking Apart

This can be done much easier and faster than taking them apart, and works almost just as well. First, get a few toothpicks and start pulling at anything wrapped around the wheel’s axles. Depending on if you’ve done this before, and how long you’ve had the cars, there might be a lot, or nothing on the axles. Rinse the wheels out in a sink to get anything that fell into the wheels out, and let them dry. Using soap can also help, but make sure it’s rinsed out well.

Some cars might have more or less than others, but inside the red box is what you want to get out.
Posted Image

3) Lubing

Do not lube your cars until you have something built to run the cars on. Once the cars are lubed they must be thrown through the track several times to break it in. Also, do not lube the track, it will cause the wheels to slip and lose speed.

Lubing your cars is very important to keeping speed. I use a silicone-based spray, which can be found for only a few dollars at probably any hobby store. Spray every wheel of every car on your train and wipe them down a little to get the lube off the outside of the wheels. Then, try not to let your cars sit for more than a few minutes before taking them to a pre built track. Throw them through the track several times to break the lube it. You should notice an improvement in the cars after a few runs. The cars will get lube on the rails, which can slow your cars down, so wipe this off if you notice a lot. If you don't notice improvement in the cars, add a little more lube, or wash it out and try it again. If everything was done right, it should work.

4) Weighting

Weighting your cars can most of the time double your speed, unless the supports can’t take it. Weights will cause more force on the supports, and if they aren’t strong enough, will cause movement in the track, killing your speed.

The weights I use on my cars are 4 stacks of 4 pennies, with a stack of 5 in the middle. More weights will cause more work for the motor, so be careful weighting your cars if you don’t have enough motors for the lift.

The stack of 5 in the middle was super glued to the 4 bottom stacks, but it can be taped if you don't have any.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Make sure the weights are tightly taped to the cars, or the weights will be able to move, killing speed.

Posted Image

For the front car, spread the stacks of weights out more, and cut a hole in the tape, so the chain dog can move.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I covered everything that's needed, but I can add things to the tutorial if there are any questions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

Dude that awsome!

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#3 G Force

G Force

Yea Man

• 1098 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

Wow, this will help a lot of people with the coasters, including me.:)

#4 RightWayTrey

RightWayTrey

Automatic or nothing

• 702 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

Wow, great tut. Another one for rct2123 to sticky.

I see I've always lubed wrong. I put lube on the track. Does the lube hurt the track?

Posted Image

Valleyfair Recres:..........My Tutorials:......

................Steel Venom................Automatic Station Gates.......

..........Corkscrew...................Automatic Drill Launch....

...Round About................Auto on/off switch..

#5 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

^Lubing is good for moving parts, your track doesn't move.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#6 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the comments!

^^ I'll add this into the first post too, but lubing the track can cause the wheels to not spin as well and lose speed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

This is sticky material. I like it.

If she said it, it is not to you and never will be. This is to whoever quotes this.

#8 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

Awsome! I am cleaning my cars tonight.:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

#9 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

It's a Sticky now.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#10 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:58 AM

the lubing is going to help me i though you put it on the track

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#11 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

honostly i think just lube helps the most

#12 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hey Commando! Welcome to sscoasters! I know your new so I wanted you to know that when you post make sure the threads not dead. A thread is dead when nobody have posted in it in a month. You can check that by going to the last post and reading the date in the top left corner of the post. And you should check out the forum rules. They should tell you everything you need to know.

EDIT: V Sorry.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#13 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

^Top Left, not right.

Posted Image

#14 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Duude... my cars just fly over the track now awesome guide!!
hey u can just use olive/sunflower oil for the wheels much cheaper and no need to go to the hobby store :P

many thx, wardcoastez

#15 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:01 AM

heyWardcoastez, (Max, just trying to help from my mistakes) i dont think you read the comments above, so ill tell you. Exactly what Knexrule said, dont deadthread.(sorry if i am), and dont post in threads older than 3 weeks-month, and Check The Dates. i know your new and all, but people, get really annoyed by that stuff most of the time. just a bit of advice from my experiences...

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

^Thread is a sticky so he's allowed to post here. Stickied threads will never go down in the list.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 IonZer0

IonZer0

Wow, we can make these statuses really long now.

• 859 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

This is an amazingly helpful tutorial! I use dead AA batteries for my weights. it works well and doesn't cost me any cash! 2 for 1 deal!

#18 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

its a sticky? oh. nevermind then.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#19 manguy

manguy

kingdakaman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

you have a auto station gates tutorial on ebay I think. If you are the one who is selling it
Could you send it to me.

#20 Aarron-k

Aarron-k

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Sorry to interupt your guide but ive also got another tip for people cleaning there coaster wheels, if you havent got a tooth pick then using cotton buds instead works like a treat. Ive just cleaned mine out using this method and its helped alot!!

Aarron