b&m hypercoaster outerlimits659

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#1 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

Just ordered about 135 more crossties, and thoght I'd start a nice small B&M hypercoaster....this was originally planned to be a Christmas coaster, but I obviously have no time so.......here's some pics of the lift and drop so far:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm open to any name suggestions (I suck at thinking up names). Comments??? Suggestions??? Criticisms??? Insults??
-OL659

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#2 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

You can't have red rods vertically in the main support and red rods on an angle on the lift part. It doesn't line up, you need to change the vertical tower to gray or metallic rods.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

^Aren't metallic rods the same length as reds?? Also, wouldn't changing the vertical reds to grays sort of screw up the other towers connections?? And (sorry for sounding so dumb) what isn't 'lining up' on the lift??
^^Thanks for pointing that out, It's fixed now. :) Unfortunately, when I resize my photos on Imageshack, everything looks flatter and wider than it really is, making it sort of hard to get an accurate side view of the drop. In real life the drop is pretty narrow.

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#4 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

By metallics I mean the yellow rods, Here's two paint drawings to try to show what I mean.

First, you can't have a main support tower with different rod sizes, you have a blue, red, red, red, and a yellow for the tower. For the 45 degree lift you have yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow. You need to have a 6 yellow rod, or 3 long grays, tall support tower, with the same lift part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

Ok, thanks so much!! I needed that help, this is the first time I've ever made this kind of structure lol.

Edit-Wait, but will I still be able to use reds as a base rod for the rest of the coaster??

Posted Image

#6 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:52 PM

It'd be best if you kept the yellow rod as your base rod for the whole coaster. You'll probably have to re support most of the drop though.

Something else that isn't necessary now, but maybe on future coasters, is try to make the supports width a yellow rod two. So for supports instead of blue rod, half moon, blue rod; use a small gray, half moon, small gray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Oh, I see. Well unfortunately, I am unable to use a base of yellows seeing as I have a shortage of them. :( I changed the vertical reds and yellows to all yellows but from there I'll just have to keep the original supports ( I still have a red rod width). It's just a lack of pieces that's keeping me from a base of yellows. Believe me, if I had a lot of yellows I'd have already started a woodie. :D

Posted Image

#8 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

2 reds rods going sideways = 1 grey rod going strait up.You will have a perfect 45*angle.k'nex made the rods like that for a reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

^^^^^^^lol it seems like every n00b doesnt understand...

in better, easier to understand terms, the rod diagonal to the base rod is going to be the diagonal on the lift. for example, if your base rod is red, then the diagonal on a square is gray, and that is the diagonal length of your lift. i like to visualize it as if it was a woodie, with all the supports there, then just delete everything in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/metallicais1337
^My YouTube Channel (FL Studio songs, Custom Guitar Hero charts)^

#10 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for advice and comments!! Today, I will be redoing the lift structure and maybe starting on a turnaround..any ideas on what kind of turnaround to do?? Also, any more name ideas??

Edit-Ok, I ended up redoing the whole thing so, is how does the structure/crest look now???
Posted Image
Overview (yes I will install a motor)
Posted Image
Crest close-up. Yes, it is a bit less flat in real life.

Posted Image

#11 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

looks fine continue maybe you culd try to get your gears a little lower down.

EDIT: 1099th post I'm almost to 1111.

#12 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thankyou for listening to us you now have a perfect 45* angle lift.The crest could be a little bigger though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 metallicais1337

metallicais1337

Guitar Hero Addict

• 1357 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

YES!!!! thats exactly what i was talking about.

continue, i think your crest looks fine, but like ^^ said, try to put your gears a little bit lower down, like touching the flexis.

http://www.youtube.com/metallicais1337
^My YouTube Channel (FL Studio songs, Custom Guitar Hero charts)^

#14 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Small verbal update: I finished a catwalk using CAC's tutorial, and have started the drop. The problem is, I was finding it hard to shape that size of a drop with no straight spots. What does everyone think of a drop pulling out one red rod above the ground followed by an overbank or something that descends to ground level on the pull out??

Posted Image

#15 Coaster55

Coaster55

Aminspec Employee

• 1591 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

You can have a small straight spot, just not too long. Try to get the most speed out of the drop though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

Ok, update time!! I finished the drop, and the supports are fine. It barely shakes at all and the catwalk looks really neat on it IMO. Pics...
Posted Image

The catwalk

Posted Image

The crest

Posted Image

The drop

Up next is a turnaround followed by an airtime hill and maybe a buckel. Comment!!!
-OL659

Posted Image

#17 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Looks great, esp. the catwalk!
IMO, the pullout could start a little sooner, which would make the drop smoother. Other than that, nice.

#18 MP thrill rides

MP thrill rides

Lead Engineer

• 1973 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

This is looking very good but like ^ said the pullout could be a bit bigger.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

Fixed??? No?? Comment?? extra text,extra text.
http://img530.images...589845320575883

Edit-New pic now, please look!!!:)

Posted Image

#20 Kool Coaster Kid

Kool Coaster Kid

Fellow Canadian

• 2102 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

Much better! What is the next element?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^Thanks Steel^

1) Leviathan 2) Behemoth 3) Vortex 4) Sheikra 5) Kumba 6) Kraken 7) Montu 8) Manta 9) Dragon Fire 10) Gwazi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b&m, hypercoaster, outerlimits659