Vampire

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 LCAL

LCAL

Only I Can Live Forever

• 1823 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

I am working on a giant CD coaster myself, and here is my advice. Try making the first loop as big as possible, and try to make it more egg shaped. After that, raise the Zero G roll to a good height, then shape the second loop accordingly. The second loop right now looks very bad, and you will never be able to finish the said layout with it. I will post some new pictures of my coaster in a second to help, if you need it. You can also PM me because its nice to see another avid CD builder!

http://www.youtube.com/knexer13
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SSC Member June 11th 2007 - January 1st 2011

Posted Image

#22 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

^And every other BTR...

^^He is using CD...

Should be cool even though I am not a big fan of watching CD construction...

-Rct2123:cool:

I'm a little curious what you mean by this. Watching CD construction is certainly more realistic than watching someone build a Knex Immelman with a huge box structure for support (as I have seen numerous times). When I built the Diamondback for King's Island and sent construction pics to the park, they later said it looked just like the real construction...minus the cranes. LOL.
I enjoy the complexity and beauty of a well built Knex coaster, don't get me wrong. I just think you can't beat CD for realism and accurate scale appearance. Even during construction.

#23 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

I enjoy the complexity and beauty of a well built Knex coaster, don't get me wrong. I just think you can't beat CD for realism and accurate scale appearance. Even during construction.

Well, yeah, CD is made for that. K'nex is a kid's toy, just taken to a whole new level with us.

#24 Jesperdude

Jesperdude

european idiot

• 911 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Well, yeah, CD is made for that. K'nex is a kid's toy, just taken to a whole new level with us.

K'nex wasn't originally made to build roller coasters with, CD was;)

My signature is expericing a temporay delay and has therefore seized operation.

#25 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

I'm a little curious what you mean by this. Watching CD construction is certainly more realistic than watching someone build a Knex Immelman with a huge box structure for support (as I have seen numerous times). When I built the Diamondback for King's Island and sent construction pics to the park, they later said it looked just like the real construction...minus the cranes. LOL.

I think he means the fact that most custom CD coasters are usually finished in three to four updates. Except for large scale CD recreations, construction doesn't last as long as building a K'nex coaster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#26 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

^Yep...

It takes so much more skill to shape and construct supports for a k'nex coaster. It also takes a lot more time. It's nice to see an update filled with complexity, especially when tube supports are involved. Considering we all build, sometimes extremely, different supports each coaster is as unique as it could be. Every single person has their own style that they show. All CD coasters shaped right look the same...

Posted Image

#27 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

Yet, despite all the time and skill, a CD coaster looks more realistic. If you think all CD coasters look the same, you need to check out the photo gallery on the site.
The difference here is that most CD builders construct a Scorpion or similarly sized model. Most of you custom Knex builders make huge models. You probably have not seen a comparably sized CD model. If you did, you would definitely feel differently about it. A large scale CD model is amazingly realistic and very impressive. Just the fact that the efficiency of a CD model is close to the actual ride, allows you to design coasters with less constraints than any other system.

#28 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

I have seen the big models such as the recent re-cre of Diamondback. They are beautiful, and very realistic I agree. The constraints are what make long knex coasters great though. It shows how builders can actually find the forces the train is exerting on the supports and build based on it. A knex model can be as big and as long as a real coaster if you have the pieces and knowledge to support is correctly. With the $600 it will cost you to buy enough CD sets instead, you will surely have the pieces. Now you need to knowledge and building ability to fight these forces and make the train go over realistically sized hills with much more realistic speed. Anyone can throw together a long ass CD model if they have the money. It takes true talent to build a well sized knex coaster. CD may be more realistic, but knex coasters take the gold when it comes to building ability and innovation of the builder, and that is what I love...

Posted Image

#29 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

^I hope that you tried CD before you said it was easy to make a good, long coaster. And you can't make every layout with k'nex, some aren't possible. And I think that it takes much more creativity to create a realistic coaster out of CD, you have to make everything from scrap. But with k'nex you just take the pieces to do everything which is why people (and me to) like k'nex.

But I'm okay with your opinion, k'nex is great, I just went to the next level.

Coaster is in hold until I have my expansion pack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#30 pkiknex25

pkiknex25

Ello!!!

• 8238 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:10 AM

And I think that it takes much more creativity to create a realistic coaster out of CD, you have to make everything from scrap. But with k'nex you just take the pieces to do everything which is why people (and me to) like k'nex.

Please, do elaborate on that, because I have no idea what you are saying.

SSCoasters Staff
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

cincinnatibearcats07sp-1.jpg

GigaSonic XLC, Déjà Vu, Werewolf, WildSide, Thunderhawk, Kaibutsu, Diamondback, Couloir

SVengeance|Voyage|LightningRod|Goliath(SFGAm)|OutlawRun|Fury325|RF2|Taron|StormChaser|Orion|

Coaster Count: 300

#31 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

I believe you have it backwards. You create nothing from CD except for simple connections. With knex you create everything. You don't just have one gray rod as a support, you need to build them...

Posted Image

#32 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

I suppose the question needs to be asked- What is the goal? If your intent is to build realistic recreations of actual rides that mimic their full sized counterparts in scale and efficiency, then it is CD. If you want to create your own coaster designs that look like a toy version of an actual ride, go with Knex.
As far as your comment about realistic speeds....you don't seem to have your physics lessons down. Cd trains do not operate at unrealistic speeds. They simply adhere to the laws of gravity better than any other model roller coaster. It is the LACK of efficiency with Knex that you are misinterpreting as "realistic" speed. This is why you can make a 4' tall CD coaster with 7 inversions and 80' of track- with a single lift hill. How many inversions and what length of track can you get with a 4' tall Knex?
Don't imply that builders of CD lack creativity. There were modeling skills involved in the making of the Diamondback or Griffon models that are well beyond simply snapping together a myriad of pieces. You say that anyone with money can build a "long ass" CD model. Couldn't the same be said for Knex? You seem to be deriding CD because the kits cost more than Knex. This is a separate debate.
I have stated that I have a tremendous respect for those that build elaborate coaster models, whether CD, Knex, or otherwise. For those with elitist attitudes about their modeling skills, you need to come to the realization that an elaborate "toy" will never trump a beautiful scale model. If that weren't the case, parks would be calling you instead of CD for recreations of their rides.

#33 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

IMO anyone who builds with knex or CD is using a toy. I understand that CD uses gravity very efficiently. This is what makes it look ridiculous though. That Sheikra model took about 2 seconds to go through the entire thing. That speed does not appeal to my eyes. I was not saying that CD builders have no creativity. How many CD builders besides you guys over there actually create landscaping? Even if they all do, we are talking about two completely different types of things. One is actual modeling which has nothing to do with building a basic CD coaster. All the pieces do snap together. Besides I have seen many knex coasters where people use a landscape also. Would you argue that, that is not modeling? I do believe it is. Check out Chaos's coasters...

I also have respect for anyone who builds anything remotely resembling a roller coaster. Don't tell me I have an attitude about my modeling skill. I was speaking for all knex builders, I am by far not the best builder on this site. CD is the superior model when it comes to realism. There is no doubt about it. I am just trying to prove that if you take two people and have one build a knex model with no landscaping, and one build a CD model with no landscaping the CD builder with less effort will finish weeks before the knex builder. It is more challenging and it takes more creativity to create even just a simple knex coaster. When you throw in landscaping such as on diamondback, things change for both situations. IMO it is real modeling whether you are basing your scenery around a CD or knex model...

How the hell did this all start from me saying I enjoy knex construction more? If he were to go and make a model of all the scenery then I would be just as interested and any other knex coaster. Like I said though, most don't do that...

Posted Image

#34 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

I think if you reread your posts you will agree that your references to CD were condescending and certainly not positive. I simply am defending the product. You are obviously free to prefer Knex as I am to prefer CD. The difference is that I don't need to deride one to make my point for the other. Knex builders have excellent imaginations and tremendous skill to be able to create the models I have seen on here. Likewise, I have seen some amazing CD models that don't need to be "long ass" to be intriguing. Just because a CD model goes together quicker doesn't mean it requires less imagination than Knex. Unless you have built with both, I don't feel you are in a position to criticize one or the other.

#35 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:58 PM

Jack I really have nothing against you or your product at all. I truly did not mean to take it a point where I was putting down CD builders. I was just simply trying to defend that knex take quite a bit more time, and knex models differ much more than CD models do. I agree that if I was going to try to recreate a roller coaster CD is the best bet. It can be a perfect scale model, and I do not have to worry about anything. I just simply enjoy knex more because I create all the unique connections. When I build with knex tube supports every connection is different and unique in its own way. What you have done with CD is eliminate the need for these, and you created a standard way. You have done a phenomenal job with this. I personally enjoy the inconstancy of knex though...

I agree to disagree, they are just too different of products to compare directly...

Please continue to advance with CD though. It really is a wonderful product. Nothing can compare to it when it comes to realism that is for sure. The biggest problem I would say would be the price. Most parents do not want to spend 200-500 on a coaster set. Hell most people outside of true coaster fans don't want to. I see you have already taken that into account though, and I hope you continue on with it...

Posted Image

#36 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

We sell very few $500 sets. Our two primary models sell for $169 and $199 respectively. On the internet these can be found for $129-$149 depending on the site. The perception that our products are expensive dates back to the Dragon. I would guess that many people on here have significantly more in Knex than either the Scorpion or the Comet. Our goal with the new kit is to enter the realm of near a $100 street price coaster. The expansion pack for the new model will retail for under $30, so adding on will be affordable too.

#37 RCT2123

RCT2123

• 5771 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

I hope you didn't sacrifice realism or compatibility...

Posted Image

#38 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

http://coasterdynami...bum=16&item=391
You tell me....LOL
Operating shoulder harnesses as the train enters and leaves the station.
Working "dispatch" button on station control panel.
Red and green "status" LED lights on control panel.
30 second pause in station (can be overriden by dispatch)
Custom NoLimits program of the model utilizing all CD structural and track components input into No Limits
Fully compatible with current CD track system.
Quicker assembly time
Lowest price of any CD kit
Around 30' of track
Optional stairs, handrails, and chaser light kit sold as an option

#39 Jack Rimer

Jack Rimer

Construction Foreman

• 125 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

http://coasterdynami...bum=16&item=389
This is my favorite.

#40 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Please, do elaborate on that, because I have no idea what you are saying.

What I'm saying is that you have to make a station out of real wood, you cut it, paint it and everything. To make grass you take either green paint or a grass rug. With k'nex, the station, stairs and everything is made out of k'nex. That is my point.

And you guys (RCT and Jack) all have good arguments, I prefer these model because the are fast to assemble. Some doesn't like it, I do since I always get bored with my coasters.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur