#1 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:14 PM

No Limits Competition of the Month 6

Launch my Timbers

Posted Image

Fun Forest, a small amusement park in the middle of northern California is looking to add a high intensity, fun thrill ride. With the latest technology, the park wants you to design a launched coaster built by Intamin, Premier, or Maurer Sohne. The catch is that you have some limitations:

Rules:

1. You may not change the track already placed (station, turn, and pre-launch, and launch).
2. AT ONE POINT, your ride must go above 150 feet (the pink line).
3. Your ride may be no taller than 300 feet (blue line).
4. Your ride must remain inside the blue box at all times. This INCLUDES track, trains, heartline, and supports!
5. Your ride must be longer than 2,500 feet, but can be NO LONGER than 6,000 feet.
6. NO SUPPORTS OR TRACK, including HEARTLINE and TRAINS, may go over water.
7. The launch acceleration MAY NOT be changed. It MUST remain at 1.6 Gs.
8. Only one launch is allowed. Lifthills are prohibited.
9. Intamin coasters must have a 5 car train, Premier coasters must have a 6 car train, and Maurer Sohne coasters must have a 2 car train.
10. Do not post screenhots!

Failure to follow rules will result in deducted points. At the same time, there are some things that you CAN alter, depending on your preferences:

1. The length of the launch run may be changed depending on the speed you would like.
2. Depending on the type of ride, you can change the station length.
3. Any inversions are allowed.
4. You may move the trees inside the box.

The competition will be scored on how the following criteria:

5 Points: Layout/Flow
5 Points: Originality
5 Points: Building technique
5 Points: Wow factor
10 Points: Overall quality

Bonus!

Extra points will be awarded to those who complete extra requirements. Everything is out of five points. These go as follows:

Intamin:

Incorporate a Norwegian loop and a heartline roll into a 4,500 foot (minimum) layout.

Premier:

Incorporate a cobra roll and three helices (270 degrees or greater) into a 4,000 foot (minimum) layout.

Maurer Sohne:

Incorporate five(5) inversions with four trains running, with no stacking.

By the way, as a way to advertise SSCoasters and the NLCotM's, we will be making a music video of the contests. Various coasters will be selected to be in the video.

That’s it. Everything should be pretty straight forward. If there are any questions, ask me. Start researching coasters on RCDB so you build some incredible rides.

DOWNLOAD:
NLcotm6.nltrack

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan
Coaster Count: 312

Character - What you do when nobody is watching.
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter

#2 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

That's a lot of restrictions.

Also what?

1. You may not change the track already placed (station, turn, and pre-launch, and launch).

1. The length of the launch run may be changed depending on the speed you would like.

My opinion on this is that the requirements and restrictions kinda limit the less experienced builders.
The bonus is a nice feature but it will be incredibly hard to implement them without screwing up the lay-out.

[boast]I guess the "DO NOT POST SCREENIES" is for me so people stop giving up after they see my rides? [/boast]

Could you be a bit more specific on what coaster types to use.
I mean, what coaster type to use for the premier?

Theming/adding fancy features like switch tracks out of supports, are they allowed?
What about MCBR?

I have to see how this turns out.

[HINT]
If you can't see the track through trees, click view and un-check the scenery.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

^He means that you can't change the direction of the station or launch, but you can change the length.

Can we use tools?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image
Coaster Count: 79

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#4 SwimZONE

SwimZONE

Models of ships are hard.

• 2654 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

^Like AHG?
I still like it better when S33S does it...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Maverick | X2 | Millenium Force | Top Thrill Dragster | Tatsu
Wild Thing | Renegade | Goliath | Raptor | Mantis

#5 fantom

fantom

Screaming!

• 1745 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

This isn't that much different than his last contest, just that he gives you the boundaries in the download instead of having you do the guess-work.

Xbox GT: xxwarlordxx11
Posted Image

Posted Image

PM ME PLEASE IF YOU PLAN ON ADDING MY GAMERTAG!

#6 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

This is kind of like the ones we've had before, except there are a TON more restrictions and requirements. It makes it more interesting though...

#7 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

That's a lot of restrictions.

Also what?

My opinion on this is that the requirements and restrictions kinda limit the less experienced builders.
The bonus is a nice feature but it will be incredibly hard to implement them without screwing up the lay-out.

[boast]I guess the "DO NOT POST SCREENIES" is for me so people stop giving up after they see my rides? [/boast]

Could you be a bit more specific on what coaster types to use.
I mean, what coaster type to use for the premier?

Theming/adding fancy features like switch tracks out of supports, are they allowed?
What about MCBR?

I have to see how this turns out.

[HINT]
If you can't see the track through trees, click view and un-check the scenery.

It's just what TripleHelix said. You can't alter the track in terms of shape, slope, direction, but some people are going to have a slow coaster and some will have a fast coaster. Why waste launch track?

Also, why would you have a long station for a 2 car Maurer Sohne and a 6 car Premier train might not fit.

I don't get why you say that about the bonus feature. All you have to do is come up with a layout that contains those elements and is long enough. It can also make or break whether you win the contest.

The rule against screenshots is because of how we'll be judging the rides, which will be explained later. It's so when we release the tracks, nobody will know whos is whos.

I don't see how you can possibly be confused about which coaster types to use. There's only one Maurer Sohne in the game, and Premier has only one coaster in the game as well, the LIM coaster. Intamin, you're just using the standard two seat hyper coaster.

If you can make it in the game, you can include it. Go ahead and use 3ds if you want. Theming is allowed, but it probably won't do much, unless you come up with something equivelant to Expedition Everest...MCBRs are allowed. If they weren't, you wouldn't be able to run enough trains.

^He means that you can't change the direction of the station or launch, but you can change the length.

Can we use tools?

No tools. You need to hand bank and shape everything.

^Like AHG?
I still like it better when S33S does it...

S33S is still doing this, I'm just becoming more involved. He's one of the judges, and he approved everything before I posted it.

Posted Image
Goliath(SFGAm)|Bizarro(SFNE)|BDash|Toro|Maverick|Voyage|Banshee|WickedCyclone|Skyrush|Leviathan

#8 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

I heard there were prizes too, or prices after a certain amount of wins? Is that idea already implemented or not?

Also, PKI no need to edit me. Everyone makes mistakes.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Heh, I was about to use AHG after I posted that but by then I was far enough into my track that I just didn't feel like it. Works for me.

So... when's the deadline?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#10 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

I heard there were prizes too, or prices after a certain amount of wins? Is that idea already implemented or not?

Also, PKI no need to edit me. Everyone makes mistakes.

I'm not aware of any prizes unless St33lSpectrum or BGTKing were planning something special.

Heh, I was about to use AHG after I posted that but by then I was far enough into my track that I just didn't feel like it. Works for me.

So... when's the deadline?

That's a good question, and something I need to discuss with S33S. We can go one of two options:

1. We could keep it monthly, and just do the judging while the next contest is getting started.

2. Or we could take a break and judge before the next contest starts, turning this into bi-monthly contest.

What am I saying...the deadline is June 30th no matter what...

Posted Image

#11 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

The deadline is June 30th. From now on, we're planning on having each contest last one month as usual, but we will take a month-long break in between. That'll make it easier for us, giving us more time to spend on the voting/judging process and planning for the next one.

#12 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

I am very new to no limits and i just have a few questions. What is AHG? and if you are are trying to get a top hat like on Xcelerator to get the twist, so at the top your right side up, do you just change the banking?

#13 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

• 7526 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

AHG is Auto-Heartline Generator. It's a program you can download and use to get perfect banking on your coaster. And making a tophat like Xcelerator is extremely difficult...you could try it though.

#14 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

Yeah I was thinking that I can just do a top hat like on your Magnum. But if I were to do it how would i get the twist? Also where can I down load AHG? And if I do download it I can can't use it for the contest, Correct? (Just making sure) Does no tools also mean that i can't like, hit smooth?
Are tunnels aloud? (the under ground kind)

#15 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

You can ctrl + G, or smooth. I use it all the time.

No underground tunnels.

Posted Image

#16 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

I'm sorry to say I will not be entering this month's contest.

I started working on a Nitro tribute/inspired coaster and making custom scenery using Sketchup Pro with 3ds export.

SSCoasters Administrator

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Antinos

Antinos

Is it smooth and long?

• 8086 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

With that, who WILL be entering this contest? I don't want June 30th and have my inbox empty.

By the way, all entries must be emailed to me(insanityfan[@]hotmail[dot]com) by June 30th.

Posted Image

#18 TripleHelix

TripleHelix

Do a barrel roll!

• 2241 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

I'm about 3/4 done with mine, so more than likely I will.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posted Image

Posted Image

THIS TEXT IS A LIE!

#19 coastermaniac

coastermaniac

Lead Engineer

• 1862 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

I will start to work on it after school, which ends june 19th.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1|Tatsu 2|KK 3|Montu 4|Medusa 5|Kumba 6|Nitro 7|Goliath 8|Goliath 9|DD:F 10|Excalibur

#20 Coasteradict

Coasteradict

The hate sign

• 1883 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

I'm 50/50 entering, I can't get my layout to feel right, and I don't have any other layouts in mind :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Immelmann

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sidewinder