Lynx

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

two things, did you spray it from about 30 cm away?
and were they on an even surface?

It was a bit closer than 30 cm, but I'll spray another coat from that far away tonight. And yes, the cars were on a smooth, even concrete floor.

In other news, I made the track up the lift, crest, pre-drop, and the chain is working. I still need to make the turn before the drop, and then I'll have an update.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#22 dylan

dylan

Don't follow the light

• 1004 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

That is a whole bunch of tubing dude

#23 Jplaz

Jplaz

Metaphysical Prophet

• 2776 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

What paint did you use?

*Crosses fingers hoping he says Montana or Rusto*

Posted Image

#24 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

^ I used Valspar, it's the kind my dad said would work best.

I finished my cars, and they turned out pretty well. Some of the paint seeped through the tape that I put on to keep the paint off the other parts of the car though, but it still looks pretty good. I also made a turn and the crest, and got the lift working. It goes around the turn nice and slowly, but it makes it. The turn also turns a bit more than 180 degrees, so it slowly goes back towards the lift.

Overview
Posted Image

2 views of the new train
Posted Image

Posted Image

The motor and bottom gear area
Posted Image

The crest and top gear area
Posted Image

Crest and turn
Posted Image

Turn and front of radii supports
Posted Image

Turn and back of radii supports
Posted Image

Top view
Posted Image

POV
Posted Image

Comment! Be harsh!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

#25 Loop De Loop

Loop De Loop

Entry Engineer

• 849 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Good job. But I would straighten up those cars if you can.

Posted Image

^^^^Thanks Airdog^^^^

TOP TEN
Top Thrill Dragster
Incredibul Hulk
Mellenium force
Maverick
Mantis
Maginum XL200
Flight Deck
Wicked Twister
Raptor
Beast

#26 iggfish123

iggfish123

0+0=0

• 1158 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

I think you might want to bank it a little. It looks a little weird right now. Also what speed will the lift be, and what do you have planned next in the layout?

FF.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/IggFish123

Nothing turns a girl on more than telling them you are in a company on K'nex website 

#27 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

Good job. But I would straighten up those cars if you can.

You mean to get off the yellow paint that soaked through the tape? I tried my best already, and that's all I could get off. I think I'll just paint over it with black paint. Thanks!

I think you might want to bank it a little. It looks a little weird right now. Also what speed will the lift be, and what do you have planned next in the layout?

Here's the Swamp Fox, the coaster that inspired me to make this one.
Posted Image

You can see that the turn isn't banked. I will usually run the motor on slow for realism purposes, but for the video, I'll use the fast setting so it gets up the lift faster (I won't show it going up the lift anyways). Next is a drop and a hill. Thanks!

Any more comments/critiquing are/is welcome.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

#28 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, Jack Rabbit isn't banked either. Just leave it, it's sexy as is.

#29 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

i dont think you should test it on a faster speed than it will actually run, because that can give you more speed going through the layout. if you run it on slow the whole time, you would be able to judge your heights better and the results wont vary because of the speed. dont make speed a manipulated variable...if we go back to science class.

and if this isnt a recreation, and just an inspiration, whats gonna change from it in the layout?

SF is a great ride. my mom got kicked off it for taking pictures...

• LCAL likes this

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#30 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

Yeah, Jack Rabbit isn't banked either. Just leave it, it's sexy as is.

That's what I thought, thanks.

i dont think you should test it on a faster speed than it will actually run, because that can give you more speed going through the layout. if you run it on slow the whole time, you would be able to judge your heights better and the results wont vary because of the speed. dont make speed a manipulated variable...if we go back to science class.

and if this isnt a recreation, and just an inspiration, whats gonna change from it in the layout?

SF is a great ride. my mom got kicked off it for taking pictures...

I'm testing it on the slow speed, it will just run on the fast speed when I'm taking the video, so I don't waste space on the camera. I goes around the turn pretty much the same speed either way though.

The layout will be similar, just a bit different for some variety. Thanks!

I will be painting over the excess yellow paint that seeped through the tape today. I'll see how it turns out.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

#31 coasterfanatic11

coasterfanatic11

Who said that?!?

• 1190 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

good luck! I like what you've got right now! Is the TT motor strong enough to carry the cars up the lift? If so, I need to get one of those...

-cf11 :cool:

Posted Image

^props to CAC!^

Check out Semeru!

#32 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

good luck! I like what you've got right now! Is the TT motor strong enough to carry the cars up the lift? If so, I need to get one of those...

The TT motor would be strong enough to pull probably 6 weighted cars up the a lift, so yes, it can easily pull 4. Thanks!

I went over the extra yellow with more black, and I think they look a lot better. The yellow is still thin in some places, so I may go over that again too. Here are a few pictures of the fixed up cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't done any work on the actual coaster (I've been busy today) but I'll do some later tonight.

Comment! Be harsh!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

#33 coasterfanatic11

coasterfanatic11

Who said that?!?

• 1190 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

good! You got them fixed! (for the most part lol) I like them. Oh, and thanks for the info!

Posted Image

^props to CAC!^

Check out Semeru!

#34 NitroDude319

NitroDude319

Compact or Nothing

• 1846 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

I like the design alot. The cars look great!! Can't wait to see the coaster though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 da master826

da master826

Friend of GLaDOS

• 1306 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

The cars look like the middle of a freshly paved road, and not in the metaphorical sense.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image
Intimidator305, El Toro, Maverick, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Top Thrill Dragster

#36 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

lmao^ it does, but the yellow needs to be stronger and less faded. you should get like a golden yellow and hand paint the stripe.

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#37 coasterfanatic11

coasterfanatic11

Who said that?!?

• 1190 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Actually, I like them as is. It's kind of a transparent yellow at the moment. On the coaster: I like what you've got so far. That crest is huge! lol.

Posted Image

^props to CAC!^

Check out Semeru!

#38 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. ^ That's actually what I had envisioned them looking like, kind of faded.

Okay guys, I finished the drop. It took me many tries to get the top part and the pullout, but I think they are good now. Also, you can see that I pushed it back a foot or so. I did that so I could have more space in the long run.

Overview
Posted Image

The whole drop (there is supposed to be a straight part in the middle)
Posted Image

The top
Posted Image

The middle
Posted Image

The pullout
Posted Image

Two different neat views
Posted Image

Posted Image

And lastly, a POV
Posted Image

Here is a view of the Swamp Fox for comparison. That picture explains my huge crest at the start of the drop.

Next up is a hill with a little turn at the top.

Comment! Be harsh!

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

#39 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

WOW that is perfect. Move on!

EDIT: I like how it's more than 180*.

#40 NitroDude319

NitroDude319

Compact or Nothing

• 1846 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:13 PM

Everything looks great! I like the big crest. Keep going.

Posted Image

Posted Image