Dyeing knex

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

Okay, so i have been messing around with this idea for a wile and have finally found a way that works to dye Knex a different color.

Before
Posted Image

After
Posted Image

This is how i did it..
This works beast if you die from a light color to a dark color.
First go to Wall Mart or, any other craft store and find RIT dye. Pick a color or mix two to make a new one.

Then buy some acetone or a acetone based nail polish remover which i already happened to have.

Posted Image

fill a pot withe water (Try to use a pot or something stove safe that you wont get in trouble if it accidentally dyes the pot) so that it is able to cover the pieces you are dying.

Add about a teaspoon or two of acetone then tie some string to the pieces or have a way of getting out with out sticking your hand in. Add a healthy amount of dye until the water turned darker then you wont all the way threw.

Add the pieces. Then bring the water to a simmer (not a boil if it overflows it could be a disaster)

Let it simmer for about ten minuets or until you get the color you want and take them out and your done.

Comment

• Rollerboaster likes this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

#2 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'd love to see that with others colours. Just to see if it works.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#3 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

After further investigation I think that the tubing actually shrinks a little so that it dose not fit in to the cross ties as well this is only for the tubing and has almost no effect on the rods or connectors but i will continue testing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music copy and paste this into your sig.

#4 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

It seems that doing that to your tubing would cause your trains to either lose or gain speed, more likely lose. Also, do you have to heat the water?

#5 Millcreek47

Millcreek47

BANNED

• 1186 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

The heat would make the plastic shrink...

Posted Image
(Sig under construction)

-----XBL Gamertag - I were Speshul-----

Top 5: Time Machine, The Incredible Hulk, Goliath, Dueling Dragons, Georgia Scorcher

#6 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

^ No, heat makes things expand, then when they cool off, they contract. Not sure how this would affect the knex though.

#7 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

^Steel I'm sure that you could find a way around heating them up bur for now I don't think that ill be looking for it any time soon it dosent realy matter to me and you can alrealy just buy difrent tubing if it is bleeched

Well i just did a batch of white rods and connectors and they turned out great. No more color sorting for me or at least that is what I'm going for.

Posted Image
I think that I will buy a gray dye next for the yellow connectors and rods .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

That is, awesome. I need to make red cross ties!!!

So do you think you can die them 2 or more times?

EDIT: see if it affects the pieces strength.

#9 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

Let's say you dye your knex, but then you buy some more. How hard would it be to make the dye the exact same color?

#10 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

^Umm not too hard from my expeance today, All you have to do is check it often untill you get the desired color

^^I am trying to think up a test that i could do to test that and, once i have it I will tell you guys

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

Wow... This looks like it works very well. I really want to try this. Great Job Man!

#12 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sorry for the DP but I think this need to be numbed. I just bought some dye too do this and I was wonder if it did dye the pot and if you have to heat the water?

#13 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

well this is what happened to my pot but this is after a couple of hours

Posted Image

I haven't noticed any difference in strength. I tried breaking both a regular rod and a dyed one and, they seemed to break at the same amount of force

And some advice try testing one or two pieces before you do your whole batch some times they trout differently like rr flexies turn blue and ss turn a dark green in navy blue and don't do tubing.

Also, rods and connectors take longer then ten minutes to die they usually take around 20 min . And others can take longer so if yours aren't taking on color right away just wait.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

But still do you have to heat it?

#15 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yeah you need the heat it doesn't work with out it you could just find a pot a a garage sale.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 larry marak

larry marak

Construction Foreman

• 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Tell us how the experiment turns out. Also look into using vynal dye. It applies via spray paint and penetrates the plastic so it doesn't rub off or increase the size of the part.

#17 Pyro

Pyro

mike and his mommy

• 2140 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

My mom is refusing to let me use her pots... And the ones at Target are $30 dollars...

#18 big builder145

big builder145

Build'n Big

• 384 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Okay theas are some of the color combination that i have achieved

Posted Image
I got the blue white rod and snowflake connector with navy blue and yellow 180 connector and yellow rod with black dye
Caution some rods can bend wile they are still hot and can misshapen but only if you aren't careful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Rollerboaster

Rollerboaster

Anti-anti conformist

• 1010 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

That 180* connector looks sweet, but I think the white rods look even cooler.

Posted Image

inclusive shipping

#20 eliavlevy

eliavlevy

Long time, no build. :\

• 950 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Woah, this is truly amazing!
Do you think that after dyeing it you can dye it again after a few months in a different color?
Think about the possibilities! You can make a truly color themed coaster with this!
Like everything red! EVERYTHING!
Wow, I gotta try this somehow.

Posted Image
Thanks CC10