cars lubing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

I used Wd-40 on my old cars and didn't notice anything at first, but after about two months they begin to crack...

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#22 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

I don't know how much damage it will do to the plastic on the cars, but WD40 is in general a horrible lubricant for almost any application. WD stands for Water Displacer. That is what it was designed for. It does that by quickly displacing the water because oil and water don't mix, then it quickly evaporates. It's lubricating qualities only last a few minutes.

Household oil, sewing machine oil, vegetable oil are all better choices becasue they do not evaporate quickly. I suspect silicone and other dry lubes would be the safest for the plastic.

#23 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ok! I just took apart my cars and I am going to oil them with Silicone spray. I am also spray painting my cars instead of painting them will crayola paint...
The Silicone Spray that I have:
Posted Image
I got it a Bennys.

#24 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

Comming soon Typhoon X!!!

• 316 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

oh sorry maxlaam

#25 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

Comming soon Typhoon X!!!

• 316 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

OK.............................

#26 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

I have been using silicon spray since the middle of the summer, and i have to say it increases speed a lot....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#27 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:15 AM

Well, cause the Turbine was not working at first, I did try lubing. Found some silicon spray in the garage and the result is amazing.

I disassembled the whole train for first time maintenance. I don't spray the actual track, but I do spray the tubing where the chain goes on, and the chain itself. This really helps achieving a faster launch (maybe it's a recommendation for people building the jesper launch). If you do this, make sure you don't spray on the floor, because it gets very slippery for a few weeks (believe me).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cars, lubing