montana recreation rusa

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

Hello everyone on SScoasters.net! I've been using knex for over 7 years and after taking several looks at this site i wanted to join. This is not my first coaster, but it is my first coaster on sscoasters. My other coasters can be seen on Instructables.com. My username is the same as on sscoasters. First off I'll let you all know that I'm Australian and have been in Ecuador for 12 years of my life. That's right. twelve years. And after riding this ride in Ecuador's capital I wanted to make a recreation of it. I remind you that this is a VV style coaster as I have way more VV sets that I do SS. Here's a link to pictures from rcdb.com. So here it is. Please comment on how i can make it better and how I can adjust the shaping. By the way, The track guide I used was based off of Bballer347's track guide. I do not take full credit for the track guide.

Overview
Posted Image

Station
Posted Image

Lift hill
Posted Image

first drop
Posted Image

whole drop
Posted Image

Pull-in and pull-out
Posted Image

first hill
Posted Image

The second drop is best seen in the overview. Please comment and help me get this done for summer heat.:)

#2 Da_Cool

Da_Cool

Dutch Details employee

• 314 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:10 AM

the valley is way to small! add 2 greys in length at least.
exept you're want to kill the little knex peeps ;)

Posted Image

^^TanX SteelSpectrum^^
Posted Image
^^Tanx Lazor^^

Top 5
Goliath(WalibiWorld), Loup-Garou(Walibi Belguim), Winjas Fear(Phantasialand), Black Mamba(phantasialand), Xpress(WalibiWorld)

Alton Towers, coming soon summer 2010..

Coaster count '09: 72 Loopings count '09: 73

#3 Jonny

Jonny

Lead Engineer

• 1648 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, the vallys are staight. Welcome to the fourms!

#4 BBaller347

BBaller347

Mile Record - 4:31

• 973 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

the valley is way to small! add 2 greys in length at least.

Not really. It's actually pretty accurate. Look at this picture:
Posted Image

Maybe extend it half a yellow rod. It'd look better. But what you have is still really good. And wait to choose VV over SS! ;)

#5 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Wow guys. I didn't expect to get 3 comments that quickly. Thanks!

#6 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:42 AM

I think I'll wait until I get more comments since bballer347 posted the pic. Thanks for that.:grinbou
A few more comments and i'll work on the update.
Also what do you guys think of the pull-in and pull-out.

#7 LCAL

LCAL

Only I Can Live Forever

• 1823 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hey! Welcome to SSC! First off, dayyumm! That is a really good start. Your going to make a lot of VV builders jealous :)

LCAL

http://www.youtube.com/knexer13
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SSC Member June 11th 2007 - January 1st 2011

Posted Image

#8 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

Good to see some new VV building on the site. Twice a year we have two Top Model contests in which VV is a big part (no SS allowed) called Alternative Top Model.

#9 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hey! Welcome to SSC! First off, dayyumm! That is a really good start. Your going to make a lot of VV builders jealous :)

LCAL

LOL Thanks!

#10 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Good to see some new VV building on the site. Twice a year we have two Top Model contests in which VV is a big part (no SS allowed) called Alternative Top Model.

I'll remember that. Was I too late to put this in summer heat?
By the way, how do you quote more than one person in one reply.

#11 TheCodeMaster

TheCodeMaster

Resident Nolimits 2 Expert

• 761 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'll remember that. Was I too late to put this in summer heat?
By the way, how do you quote more than one person in one reply.

Use the "Multi" button then press reply.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[18-07, 09:16] SCM: I only see 14 inversions. There's supposed to be 14 inversions.

STEEL VENOM - DRAGON - JAWHARP - ARMAGEDDON - ICE - CEREBUS - DIABLO - STEEL VENOM - THE REVENGE - CLIFFHANGER - FALCON - SMILER - ALTON TOWERS

Construction zone:

None

#12 BGTKing

BGTKing

Administrator

• 7516 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

You are not too late to enter Summer Heat.

#13 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

Use the "Multi" button then press reply.

Thanks for that!

You are not too late to enter Summer Heat.

Great. I already left a reply in the forum!

Update time!

I decided to adjust the valley and the second hill according to what you guys said. So the track from the valley to the second hill have changed completely apart from the support. I lowered the hill and extended and I think it will help. If people think it's close to perfect then I will start supporting the turning drop.
Anyway here are the pictures.

overview
Posted Image

adjusted pull-in and pull-out
Posted Image

adjusted hill
Posted Image

lowered crest
Posted Image

turning drop
Posted Image

Here is the support I'm going to use for the loop. It is very strong!
Posted Image

Can someone tell me how to make this an actual update instead of a reply. Thanks! Please comment quickly! B)

#14 BBaller347

BBaller347

• 973 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Looks much better, although, looking at the same picture, I think the turning drop is a little steep.

Posted Image

That spine your using is really cool, but doesn't it bend and weaken the connection points on the red connectors when you make the track curve? Also the spine you're using for the loop is the exact one I was going to use on Batman. It was uber strong, but I just simply wanted a less bulky look. Can't wait for the loop!

#15 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yeah that turn is much too steep. you should use that same support as the loop support for the turning drop to get a much more adjustable turn , but maybe use a bit fewer flexies if you don't have many.

#16 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Looks much better, although, looking at the same picture, I think the turning drop is a little steep.

Posted Image

That spine your using is really cool, but doesn't it bend and weaken the connection points on the red connectors when you make the track curve? Also the spine you're using for the loop is the exact one I was going to use on Batman. It was uber strong, but I just simply wanted a less bulky look. Can't wait for the loop!

i haven't even supported the drop and that's not it's final position.
By the way, the red connectors bended when I used a purple rod instead of two grey rods and another connector. They barely bend at all. Besides I got billions from my lava launch set.

Yeah that turn is much too steep. you should use that same support as the loop support for the turning drop to get a much more adjustable turn , but maybe use a bit fewer flexies if you don't have many.

As I said to bballer347 that's not it's final positioning. I'll cover that in the next update.

Someone please comment on how to make an actual update instead of a reply.

And don't forget to comment about the coaster itself :D

#17 BBaller347

BBaller347

• 973 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

Updates are just replies; there's no special way to do anything. What you're doing is perfect. If you're wondering how to make the thread title say when the last update was, go to the very first post of that thread, click 'edit', then click 'go advanced' and change the title to "Montana Rusa Recreation (Update mm/dd)".

#18 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks a lot. :D

#19 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Here's another update.
I know I'm updating pretty quickly but that's because when I start building it's hard to stop.

Anyway, The main thing i have done is support the second drop. It doesn't shake at all and it has a good amount of speed.

Overview
Posted Image

Overview of the second drop
Posted Image

different angle
Posted Image

Good comparison photo
Posted Image

Posted Image

Pull-in and pull-out of the second drop
Posted Image

I'm not very sure about the shape and angle of the drop. I think it's close to the real thing.
Please comment B)

#20 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

Please post people. I need to know if the drop's ok.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montana, recreation, rusa