b&m dive machine outerlimits659 scythe

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, so I wanted to build a dive machine. Fear the Reaper....it's a B&M. Pics..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I suppose I could make this crest here pointier, but it tended to stress my pieces. I don't mind it as it is, but you guys might....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Few things:

First, I don't believe the name has been taken, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, this is not gonna be a long coaster. For me, this is a large coaster. I'm a bit limited in the tubing department but as a resort I can go without middle tubing.

Third, I might've screwed up the radius on the drop pullout (the whole decreasing or tightening thing as the drop continues) but I'm not really good at detecting that.

Feedback would help though. :D

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#2 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I think it hits 90* too early. This picture could be a good reference: Griffon (Busch Gardens Williamsburg)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Chubs33

Chubs33

Roller Coaster Humanist

• 2842 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

I actually really like what you have there. The pullout looks perfect to me. Good work my man. I'll be watching.

Check out my blog: Life Is A Roller Coaster

(Coaster count: 504)

Blitzen Cyber Chase Prowler Tuscarora Ra: God of Sun Jersey Thunder Phoenix La Bestia Ripsaw

#4 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

^^ ya i agree with him it goes to 90 to earyl model it of that griffion pic, otherwise it looks great. whats the next element

#5 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

BGEurope Kid is right. It sould hits the vertical later and it's a bit too circular.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for commenting, guys!!

Chubs: Thanks man..

BGEKid, commando and JP: Thanks, I lowered the vertical point a bit and I think it looks better. This good, or should I touch it up a bit more??

Posted Image

But besides that....It's Immeltime.

(WARNING: this is my first Immelmann. It could potentially suck.)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Little sharpy there at the bottom was born from a splice. A tragic story..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Makes it with very nice speed, supporting isn't quite finished, barely shakes at all. That will be all.

...but you could still comment.

-OL659-

Posted Image

TTD l I305 l MF l Maverick l Dueling Dragons l Montu l Apollo's Chariot l Raptor l Hulk l Kumba

#7 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Just a quick, small update (sorry for double post)...

I finished the supporting on the Immelmann and tweaked the end part a small bit, the element is now complete. No shaking and, again very nice speed. Here's a couple pics of the completed Immelmann (not too different from last update, but there's more support and slightly altered shape on the pullout).

Posted Image

Posted Image
I have noticed that odd area near the white rod about halfway down. It could be an angle but I'll try to sort it out..

Posted Image

And here's something extra for you guys, a nice HD test vid.

YouTube - Grim Reaper--Test run #1

Posted Image

#8 NitroDude319

NitroDude319

Compact or Nothing

• 1846 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

What you have now looks amazing. The train also has perfect speed. Keep up the good work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

One comment??

^Thanks, glad you like it.

Now, here we do not have a MCBR like your average dive machine. Grim Reaper is a nonstop flight from lift to brake run. I decided on a (not quite overbanked) overbank next to the lift. Saves making an extra support column, y'know. It turned out to look like an inclined loop. But whatever it is, it is. So here...we....go.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bonus Immelmann view in the back there...

Posted Image

Posted Image
I had to be a little creative with my supporting here. It's quite solid though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And we'll finish with another nice HD test vid.

YouTube-Grim Reaper--Test run #2

Now it's going to have to get a little 'interesting' from this point because I can't afford to build much more track. I would very much appreciate ideas for some sort of fast ending here that wouldn't be too sloppy looking or quick. Not just a rise into the brakes, I can do a little bit more than that. But not too much more.

Feedback appreciated...

-OL659-

Posted Image

#10 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

From the sound of your car, I say: lube that shit! :D
Nice element, I have to say, it also looks very well placed.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#11 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

That actually looks really good.

#12 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Gump: Thanks, and I now have, as you put it, lubed that ****.

DDR: Thanks.

Well, a lot has happened since the last update...so here goes..

First off, I was working with a lot of layout possibilities after the curve posted in the last update. Nothing was really working though, and I concluded that almost all endings I could think of would look sloppy or too quick, not too mention odd (like a G5 ending on a Griffon/SheiKra beginning). My solution was this: Take the second half of the curve and raise it into a MCBR, thus eating my words from the last update, lol. This took a lot of structure redoing, but it turned out looking much nicer and more realistic.

Next, I installed a holding brake. Not complicated, but efficient and simple. The trains then wouldn't make the MCBR, even with silicone on the wheels, so I tried weights as well. World of difference, and everyone should know that standard AA batteries fit quite snugly into the SS car seats. Horizontally, that is. So here you go, the newer, updated Grim Reaper:

Posted Image

Posted Image
There's an epic headchopper in the entrance. It never hits it though..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the obligatory HD test vid w/functioning holding brake....

YouTube-Grim Reaper--Test run #3

Feedback is appreciated...

-OL659-

Posted Image

#13 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

In the fourth picture at the top there is a major bump on the helix. I'm not sure if it's the angle or not. Take a look at that.

Posted Image

#14 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

That looks SO much better than it used to in my opinion, much more realistic. The holding brake adds a lot to the ride too. This is the best dive machine I've seen in a while! By the way, the bump that KK noticed looks to be more of a flat spot near the highest point in the helix. If you just push it back a bit it should be fine.

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#15 KCM14

KCM14

Architect

• 382 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

yea this looks amazing and nice speed also do what rcf said

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cc10

#16 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Those damn splices get each and every one of us on a compact coaster, don't they?
Great coaster, I kind of liked the cute-rad-amazing-clean-inclined loop thing, but I see the predicoment (sp?) you're in right now.
Continue.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#17 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Well, now I know how to get comments....just add a MCBR, haha.

Thanks for commenting!!

KK0204: Thanks, I believe I fixed that.

RCF: Thanks man, appreciate it.

KCM: Thanks

Cedars: Thanks, and yes they do. A major advantage that VV holds over SS, lol.

And now, Outerlimits659 and Lebotech present:

Grim Reaper

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I should add that, as of now, I have no tubing left. This coaster here made an example of both my chain link limits and my tubing limits. I've really enjoyed building at this scale, but I just can't do much at this level. It was freakin' hard to build that final turn and pre-lift turn, and the lift has about 10 splice points. Whatever though....vid and database entry will come in next update....enjoy and comment...

-OL659-

Posted Image

#18 BoWser

BoWser

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Wow it really looks great, you did a good job maximizing what limited supplies you had, and i think its a very smooth riding and well flowing coaster. cant wait for the final vid!

#19 Cedars650258516

Cedars650258516

Stank

• 489 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Amazing! I love the ending. It' a nice way to keep the riders coming back for more!
Great job on this coaster but you should get another SS or two. that helped me out alot.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

#20 Outerlimits659

Outerlimits659

Lead Engineer

• 1448 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Wow, 10 comments!!

BoWser: Thanks man, but I don't normally do final vids. Just complete circuit raw footage. See below..

Cedars. Thanks, I really do need more SS sets. Not so much crossties though, I had a whole gallon bag left over from here. And a bunch of leftover flexis as well...

Database link: Grim Reaper - SSCoasters Rides Database

Video:

Any last comments before the Reaper drags this thread to the depths of the construction forum??

-OL659-

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: b&m, dive machine, outerlimits659, scythe