physics trains weighting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Is anyone on here good with physics? I'm wondering how many cars are needed in a train in order to conserve maximum momentum. What are the advantages/disadvantages of adding more and more cars? What are the advantages of a short train? Is there a limit to how long a train should be other than the physical limits of the lift/motor/station?

What about wieghting cars? How much weight? Also, if I make a launch coaster with RR motors, should I not weight the cars because it will slow down the acceleration of the motors? Please I need help with this.

#2 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

1. I dunno
2. Adding more cars means more speed conservation, although it isn't nearly as significant as weighting them.
3. Short trains mean more articulation, so you can run them on tracks with smaller curves.
4. Not really, although it would look pretty ridiculous if you used 15 cars.
5. You want a good amount of weight that gives you a decent speed boost but doesn't put too much stress on your supports.
6. You'd probably want to use a drill launch if you wanted to make a launched coaster with weighted cars.

To look up the specifics of "perfect cars", use this thread:
http://www.sscoaster...fect-cars-8203/

#3 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thank you, very helpful. BTW, do you lube your wheels? Or I should say axles? I was using graphite powder lube on Devil's 8, and it worked OK, but some of the graphite got on the track and then really slowed the train down.

Is Silicone lube the way to go? Anyone recommend a certain type? And should I clean the whole track with the silicone lube like Coaster Dynamix tells you to on their phoenix?

#4 Old_Hag

Old_Hag

Lead Engineer

• 2205 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT use a petroleum-based lubricant like WD-40, because it will actually erode your wheels over time. Silicone lube is recommended by almost every member of the site.

Dry track is optimal, because track that is covered in any fluid will either make the wheels just slide over the track and not spin, and/or create hydroplaning (http://en.wikipedia....planing_(tires)). However, cleaning dirt and dust off the tubing should help, and some say that wiping the track over with pledge helps (I have personally not tried this).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: physics, trains, weighting