boxes knex rollercoaster supports tubes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

One of the supporting problems with knex coasters is choosing either tubes or boxes to support your creation. Boxes are generally easier to exicute and are alot stronger support wise. But tubes are often more realistic, and if not done correctly can really look bad and shake alot. So my question to you is which is the better choice?
~2015AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#2 kingdaka876

kingdaka876

kingdaka876

• 132 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

well I agree with you if you dont use tubes right its not good but I like tubes better

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kingdaka876
Link to my rides:http://www.sscoaster...rs-revenge-571/

http://www.sscoaster...bra-looper-628/

Link to my youtube account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/terrimca/

#3 Fraggie

Fraggie

Lead Engineer

• 1455 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:40 AM

I think it depends on what you're going for with your coaster. If you want to keep a long layout and save as much speed as possible, I would suggest using boxes. It's easier to save speed using boxes because you can make more track-to-support connections. I would also use boxes if you are going for realistic speed. It's a lot easier to have speed more like the real thing with boxes. But if you are trying to make it look realistic and don't really care if it loses too much speed, go for tubes. But tubes are harder to shape and keep smooth. It takes practice with tubes to make a good coaster with them.

#4 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Tubes are all about practice, and eh... practice. Ohw yeah, and about practice. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#5 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

Boxes look good when you make them "follow the track", but tubes are cool.

#6 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

It depends on the situation. For example, hypers and gigas don't use tubes on their lifts. Just as loopers don't use box structures on their inversions.

#7 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

It all depends on personal style, and how you plan to develop that personal style. Look at CC10, he never made one tube-supported model and he is currently the builder of what is considered the best k'nex roller coaster ever.

#8 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:01 AM

^ Very true.

Another thing - if you want to become good at building tubes, it will take practice; if you want to get good with boxes, it will also take practice. A lot of people can use both. Like DDRman said, it's good to develop your own personal style.