Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#1 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I wanted to start the information about this build even though, the main building time for this is not until after the first of the year.

To start the reason and history behind Basilisk Rail, is an indepth analysis, but to keep it short. The museum I was doing my internship for, I found a Knex roller coaster called the Screamin Serpent, and decided it looked neat-o and I wanted to build it, but ours was still sealed at the museum, so I bought one on ebay and built it in my basement. Then took it to the museum, for display and people loved it, so the boss told me I could break the seal and add to the one to make it bigger, so I did. After two years and people still enjoying, the display table was made bigger and a second coaster (loopin lighting), swing ride, octopus, ferris wheel, and corkscrew canyon were added. After 3 years of usage, a new and much better coaster is needed,Now as the Curator the Basilisk Rail is being hatched.

After building plenty of kits and modifying to stiffen for daily usage at the museum I stumbled upon this forum, and have decided it is time to build a somewhat realistic Knex coaster and eventually a full park. (I will be doing scenery and etc probably with Lego...shhhhhhh)

And now to the fun. Here is the structure for the lift hill.
I wanted to make it as strong as possible, so I am building in 4 dimensions, this thing is stiff.
Posted Image

The original tubes
I was not fully pleased so I changed and modified.
Posted Image

New tube design
Posted Image

the beginning of the lift (this is just set together for now, plenty to go before it is finalized).
Posted Image

Another view
Posted Image

ok a few things to preface before I get responses. Yes I know I am new to the forum, I have not built a ton of Knex, but I have built several Museum layouts. HO trains, HO slot cars, and several modulars. This piece will be a museum piece when it is completed (because it is running, it does not have to be perfect, though it has to work) and I intend to get at a minimum 2 years of continual usage out of it, if not 3-4 years.

This is an early preview of what I am doing, the lift is not close to completion even. it will stand approx 6 ft tall (the height of the current coaster it is replacing). When completed, I hope and have full intentions of making the ride have realistic (some cheating) lighting (lift and tube lights) and automation (to run 2-3 trains (on course, station, pre-station), station gates, mid station (lift will run continuously)).

Enjoy and comments/questions are welcome

#2 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

*looks at first picture*

Oh my God! That's what those orange pieces are for!

You say you have little experience with k'nex? Hard to believe. Everything so far looks beautiful! I'm sure this will look really nice when it's done.

#3 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

wow.... those are some of the most amazing structures made here! there are so many great builders who just join, but are no noobs at all! But there great builders!

Hope to see this finished, Jumpge

Posted Image

#4 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

That is one heavy-duty lift hill! You must have a lot of pieces.

#5 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

I like it, but I think the original tubes would look better. Also you should connect the tubes together through flat floor connections. Not much else to comment on. Are you familiar with real life rollercoasters? If so, what kind of style are you going for? It would also be cool to see your other coasters that you have built. :)
Oh and is the coaster gonna be Harry Potter themed?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

Thanks guys, wow a lot comments already.

I like it, but I think the original tubes would look better. Also you should connect the tubes together through flat floor connections.

I agree the originals may look better, but for the lift, I want some serious support., the orginals seem to want to "bow" and twist easily, after the lift, I will go a more traditional tube.

What is flat floor connection??

Are you familiar with real life rollercoasters?

I am 24 and have been going to Cedar Point for 26 years now...lol.
Because of the the design of the SS cars I am thinking a style that stands to the older steel coasters and although the scale will be higher, I kinda of picture a first drop similar to Steel Phantom.

Oh my God! That's what those orange pieces are for!

I made the lift structure and then while playing with it I kept pulling the 3D connectors apart. I sat and thought and realized I couldn't do anything about it. Then I remembered the loopin Lighting and a solution was found.

Edit: Called K*nex and was able to get more direct, even though they are not listed on the website.

those are some of the most amazing structures made here!

Thanks to to everyone.

For theming, the Basilisk comes from the Screaming Serpent, wanted to stay with the dragon theme there, and the Basilisk is the "Little King" and according to legend one stare would kill you. Rail because it will be in a toy and TRAIN museum. I will be doing my best to keep it black (gray is close enough) and red and Yellow (I know I have to use some blue and green on occasion.. it happens).

#7 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:38 AM

Hey, you might want to check out this website for loose parts. They actually do have those orange clips that allow for more diagonals.

K'NEX User Group (US$) - K'NEX Clip with Angled end Orange <- direct product link

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

Wow. Nice lift! And I see some knex in the backround;) I can't wait to see how this turns out.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#9 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Don't want the thread to die. While I have not had much time to build I have accomplished a few things.

I am still moving things from my office to the main lobby where my pieces are located until after Jan 1.

First, when I came home today, I had a package from Knex waiting for me, so now I can finish the lift hill. (A bunch of the orange connectors).

Second I finished the final support for the lift.
Shhh, after seeing the pic I see it is bent (what happens when things move)
On the left in the background is a modified sawblade (I'm having problems getting the gearing I like, and keeping the blades from swaying too much)
But back on topic
Posted Image

Working on a station
(I had got several broken pieces from a set I got dirt cheap at a flea market, and now I found a use for those pieces)
Posted Image

No where near complete but it will hold a 5 car train. I was going to have auto moving gates, but for now decided not to have any gates, Though I will probably add the yellow stand behind line.

Posted Image

A shot to show the height of station compared to height of car. When I ride roller coasters I always prefer a step down into the seat versus the step up.
Posted Image

I know I did not do much but wanted to share some small update, hopefully I get some type of a chance this week to either finish the station or finish the lift.

#10 Spitfire

Spitfire

SSC Graphics Designer

• 1753 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

My god, man... That is incredible. Your style is phenomenal! I've never seen anything like this, haha. Can't wait to see this progress.

(cop) SSCoasters Staff (cop)
The SSCoasters Forum Rules

Posted Image
Maverick | Millennium Force | Ravine Flyer II | Top Thrill Dragster | Kumba

#11 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ooooooooooooo NICE! Station is amazing, but yes you ned to straighten out that lift. It seems I have forgotten to tell you what a floor connection is, Ill post pics in a few minutes!

EDIT:
OK here!

This is basically what you have now. Not actually gonna build full tubes
Posted Image

See, just two apart tube supports. Like this, It is kind of weak, because they can move. You should brace them together. There are two options

1: Just a flat connection along the floor. More basic and saves pieces, but still works
Posted Image

2: A full base around all of your tubes. Look at Gump's Looping Star and you will know what I mean. If you have any more questions about bases, just ask a Dutchie.
Posted Image

You definatly need to do this!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

Wow...your tubes look so unnecessarily strong, but it's awesome, don't change a thing! Well actually, you could connect the tubes at the base, like ^ said.

#13 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Thank you for the compliments.

BlackKitty: Thanks for the floor connection, information.

I do intend to connect the supports and etc. once I get things moved into place. Currently the supports and the lift are not actually connected, because it takes up most of the floor space in my office. My build space for the Knex is in the main lobby of the museum (because that is where the rest of my Knex are located.) So I have to keep things so I can move them around for now.

#14 alpal

alpal

Lead Engineer

• 1215 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:48 PM

you live in a museum? are you that famous? ;)

#15 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Night at the Museum??

Wow, this looks amazing from the start.

p.s. If you could build something in 4 dimensions you would win a nobel prize in physics.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#16 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

looks good, but how do you build in 4 dimensions when theres only 3?? unless theres a magical dimension that i dont know about, like the ps4 SUCKcrew was telling me about?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#17 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

alpal: I feel like I live at the Museum. I am the Curator. And for the being on display part, people definitely gain amusement watching me build or fix things around the building.

ForgotToGrowUp/LaMbChOpZ: Sorry, semantics, 3D connector and I used 4D.

I could argue but yes the orange connector gives you an additional angle to build with that would not exist with only a pair of 3D connectors.

No pictures, but I'll give a verbal update. In procrastination of doing what I was supposed to do, I worked on the station more today. Finished the platform area. added support for the track and raised everything, and now under the platform I am building the "work" station for a train.

Next, I will add the pre-station and transfer track.

The lift will be finished when I don't have to move it anymore.

#18 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:09 PM

Wow I am glad I took the time to read this whole thread. It is looking awesome, and you came to the right place for comments. We will help you make this coaster epic!

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#19 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Knex 3D connectors only have connections in 2 planes but they are still 3D. Adding that 3rd plane of connections doesn't make them 4D. If we could build in hypercubes that would be something very special.

I just learned Boston Museum of Science currently has a Knex thrill ride display. What is it with museums taking such interest in Knex? Is Knex sponsoring these exhibits?

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#20 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

2: A full base around all of your tubes. Look at Gump's Looping Star and you will know what I mean. If you have any more questions about bases, just ask a Dutchie.
Posted Image

You definatly need to do this!

Your tubes have a weak point. The rods can slide though the connector till the floor. It a good idea, but that would need to me fixed.

Thats a sick lift dude.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102