Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#21 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

ForgotToGrowUp/LaMbChOpZ: Sorry, semantics, 3D connector and I used 4D.

No, you didn't. The only dimensions known are X Y and Z, you can't build in 4D.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

What about the dimension of time...Ahh...:lol:

I think he simple meant that he was working in a plane that k'nex normally do not allow. No need to get all technical on him. Being 24, I think he knows that there are three dimensions...

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#23 commando

commando

Actual Engineer

• 1982 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

wow thats one hell of a lift! looks cool cant wait to see what you mean by 4d

#24 RCT2123

RCT2123

Most Rides Cancelled :-)

• 5771 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

wow thats one hell of a lift! looks cool cant wait to see what you mean by 4d

Try reading all the other posts before this one. He was talking about the orange pieces that connect to 3D connectors to allow for angles that are usually not possible with k'nex.

-RCT2123

Posted Image

#25 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Ok, we all now have the orange piece out of the way correct??
I don't care about the technicalities.

So, time to move forward.

A package came in the mail today. I don't have pictures because I have to wait a few weeks until Santa visit's. But to help add to theming I had sent Santa an Ebay listing of the KNEX ALIVE roaring Basilisk. I have not gotten to truly look at how it is set up, but I hope to give it a minor paint job to make it reddish, and then to add some gears to have it move just a little bit, and then to make the eyes lighting and sound unit to be triggered by a button remotely.
But again I have not actually had on hands on this item to know what I actually can or can not do with it.

I do not know when I will get to update again. So please hang on tight. I am busy with the Christmas season, and also have my FIRST Lego League competition coming up next weekend(COACHING). But if I get a chance to build I will post.

Cheers

#26 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

^ I used to do lego league. I did it for 2 years, made it to state once. It was really fun. Good luck!

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#27 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

While I have not had a chance to build due to space. I was doing some modeling for the museum slotcar layout, and decided since I had tools and paint out, might as well work on some other projects also.

Since I have had my first SS I always hated how freakishly big the people are, but a lot of patrons to the museum always comment on the people riding the rides. Soo, here is my solution.

First a comparison. Knex Minifig in front seat (yes I know he is missing an arm). Knex SS rider in back seat.

Posted Image

A full car of riders.

Posted Image

Also, I have painted the trains. here is a preview.
Posted Image

Now to put the people in, and then I will add shoulder harnesses. And then I will also add some decals.
Thank you TheSUCKCrew for the tut on converting middle cars and showing the restraints.

Enjoy, and I hope to have finished cars before Jan 1(no promises) and then after Jan 1, I will move the coaster for actual building.

#28 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Those cars look sick! It looks pretty cool having those riders in for the sake of the museum. Although I have always like the bare orange cars just nice and clean. Oh and KnexRule, I saw that most you made about my tubes, that was thrown up on about 2 minutes just to show ikus what to do. lol im not that much of a noob.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

Knex Minifig in front seat (yes I know he is missing an arm).

I think the lady behind him took it.

#30 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Dude the cars look sick the coaster does look sick everything looks sick. Keep on building like this.

Posted Image

#31 TheSUCKCrew

TheSUCKCrew

Way too old

• 4095 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:46 AM

I think the lady behind him took it.

Why would she need an extra hand?
Unless...

Great job on the cars, really, they look good.
Watch out with those peeps in the cars, they probably take lots of speed.
And, be really really really carefull with your cars.
One crash, and you'll have a few orange stripes in your paint, and you'll probably loose a few restraints.
I wasn't carefull with my cars at all, they are really messed up now.

#32 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

^I am always amazed at how so many just let the cars crash at the end of a test run. I always try to put a pillow or something else to stop them softly. There's always the potential to break a car, and you will definitely ruin a nice paint job if they crash constantly. I also find a crash usually dislodges some of the pennies used for weights.

Obviously the woman in the back seat ate that arm, how else would she get so big?

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#33 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the positives everyone.

TheSUCKCrew: How will the people cause a loss of speed? I mean everyone talks about weighting the cars? I figured I would take the weight of an empty car and the weight of my car and then weight underneath accordingly.

As for the paint job. I picked up some techniques working with slot cars. I use an acetone based paint designed for lexan (be very carefully with lexan paint it will quickly melt the polymer KNEX uses (because it has acetone in it). This can be found at any hobby shop that sells RC cars). The paint actually melts itself into the plastic and becomes "one" with the car. Also use a clear coat, it helps to create a hard shell around the paint, and also hopefully it scratches before the paint job does. (Slotcars take crashes at scale speeds of over 900mph and overall the paint jobs hold up very well.)

Also, damage is damage, It is to be expected with anything that moves. I plan to have additional cars for testing an etc to keep the damage off the real trains until things are ready to go. Though, I'll shot video etc with the good trains :).

Here are the first three cars of the red train complete.

A side view (took a page from Maverick and named the trains)
Posted Image

In the station (KST&T is the museum) (The back car has the Basilisk Rail name)
Posted Image

p.s. I am counting down the days until I can move the lift out of my office and start building the rest of the ride.

#34 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

Very nice! do you plan to run trains longer than 3 cars?

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#35 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Yes. I plan on running 5 car trains. I ultimately want to be able to have 3 trains running, but depending on programing It may only be 2 trains. I have not sat down with my micro-controller yet.

#36 jespercoasters

jespercoasters

Dutch Details Employee

• 1712 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

WOW. The cars are really good.

Posted Image

#37 BGEurope Kid

BGEurope Kid

Architect

• 476 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Ahh I see sadam is riding your coaster. No wonder he is sitting alone in the back.

On a serious note, the cars looks sweet. I like the colors.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

you are amazing with paint!!
gongrats

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#39 WardCoastez

WardCoastez

inversion lover

• 719 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

the only thing i can tell about this stuff is ... 0.0

#40 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Paint job is hot! What someone said about the people loosing speed. As long as they don't push around weights under the train and they do not move at all, having peeps in your cars are fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]