Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#61 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

hahaha ^, and i agree. and the crest seems ok for me.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#62 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

The crest looks excellent not. The drop not so much.... Ohters have already pointed out the flaws. In addition it seems a bit steep to me, makes me wonder if there is going to be enough room for a smooth pull out?

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#63 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Worked on the crest again. Trying to give it a better shape, and take out bumps. Hopefully it has improved some.

I also worked on the drop more. I am not fully happy with the first part of the drop, I will continue to rework it, and give it some better shaping. But the drop with the curve is set up. I need to add supports, and fix a straight spot towards the end of it(that did not see until I uploaded the pictures). But the twist, drop, and curve are being worked on currently.

Here are the picture updates. I know things are not perfect, just trying to get the general shape and then tweak as needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I enjoyed this so thought I would add it in.
Posted Image

#64 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

I know you said you were going to fix the end of the drop, but i just wanted to help and let you know that in the 4th pic, when it straightens out, it need to straighen out straighter. it looks likes a bump/straight spot going up, then finishing straightening out, which should be smoother. I'd suggest lowering the support right near the bench, the 3rd from the left, but keep the others how they are. That should smooth it out a lot more. Anyone else see it?

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#65 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Is this drop meant to be the first drop of Phantom's Revenge?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#66 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Ya I see what you mean, about the bump. Thanks.

As for looking like Steel Phantom, I know it won't at all, because I am not trying to replicate anything specifically. The drop and elements I want to have the feel of Steel Phantom but I know that I am not able to replicate. Just using as a vague frame of reference.

The museum sees a lot of people from Pittsburgh, and as it is now, the very poorly built SS in the back, people always tell there kids, "doesn't it remind you of The Phantom's Revenge?" So, I figured doing something that at least has the concept of the elements involve would be a good starting ground.

#67 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

by the way, I just realized, where the heck are you putting this when its completed? If you are going to have to move it, good luck.

#68 chaindogg33

chaindogg33

Constructioneer

• 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

This coaster looks awesome so far. a couple of suggestions:

You dont need to use so many (or space so close together) of your x-ties. Sometimes it can make shaping more difficult. Also, i learned this from people on here, when you are trying to get your shaping right, take off your track tubing. Start with only the x-ties, the center tube (the one that goes thru the hole in the x-tie if you use one), and the middle tubing. Then shape. Then add your flexis. Shape some more. Then finally put the rail (outside) tubing back on. It helped for me. Looks good but definatley the drop needs more shaping.

^^^^I think drop the 3rd support in from the left, and raise up the second one from left a little bit.

#69 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

^that is really good advice, someone clued me in when I got started. I find the tubing through the center of the crossties helps keep things smooth a lot. It is just harder to modify later since you can't insert a cross tie anywhere.

I also find that when it is time to put the rail tubing on it helps to put the tubing on the inside of turns or twists first and the outside last. I'm still learning the ropes but these tips helped me a lot.

#70 finrollercoaste09

finrollercoaste09

Comming soon Typhoon X!!!

• 316 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

you can fix the spot like this
Posted Image

#71 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Well the first part needs to be less steep, and not as straight. Also the whole drop could be wider. Now to some spot I see right now.

Posted Image

Yellow= straight spots
Red= bump

Posted Image

Blue= inconsistent drop angle/ sharp spot
Pink= weird spot
Green= Catwalk is bumpy.

Hope you can fix some of this. Already, this is massive!

EDIT: You could also connect your tube bases a little better.
EDIT 2: Is that a crane I see in the background?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#72 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Black x-ties + Black chain looks awesome :o But fix the last part of the drop/turn, it just suddenly jolts.

Lol:
Posted Image

Reminds me of Stig :P

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

It is coming along great! Just fix everything that they said.

Posted Image

#74 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

some of the things about i really agree with, but some i dont, but just fix it anyway. Once you're done fixing the problems, whats next?

#75 Eggo

Eggo

Vote for Pedro!

• 1212 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

It looks pretty good, I'm ignoring the drop being bumpy. The problems aside from that have already been stated. The general shaping is much better though!

Posted Image
|Millennium Force|TTD|El Toro|Bizarro|Maverick|Wildfire|Nitro|

#76 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

surprised no one else has commented on this so maybe I am missing something. Since this is a turning drop there is going to be lateral force on the supports. I don't see how those vertical tubes are going to support the drop is a weighted train is used. I think some form of triangulated support tubes is needed for that drop.

Have you tested this to see how much the structure moves?

#77 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

WOW Thanks for all of the help I appreciate it a ton!!

chaindogg33: Thank you for the tid-bit, I did what I could with what was already built, and it helped, and I will do it for sure, as I continue.

finrollercoaste09/Blackkitty: I have been working on those sections. The turn is just a hair wider, and aside from still struggling with the initial drop, and a hair of a straight spot at the bottom, I am much happier with the overall shape. I am still trying to rework the first part though. Also yes I know the catwalk is jacked, I have not really touched it since I move things into the lobby.

Blackkitty: The flat floor is those pics was temp, until I knew for sure where the bases where going to be located. They have been beefed up significantly today.
Yes that is a crane in the background. The museum is open to the public on the weekends for the winter time, and well being in the lobby, everyone can see it. So I have a construction crew to "help" if you look closely on the table (below the crest) you will see two trucks, one is a semi, with a piece of track being brought in.

LaMbChOpZ: The move is simple. A sheet of plywood (extended obviously) and about 4 people, and up she goes. I have moved entire train layouts, the move has already been thought about, and should go as most moves do. Cautiously.
Next, is a straight run (anyone can dislike this all you want), it is one of my favorite parts visually to me, or the Steel Phantom (Phantom's Revenge), followed by a loop, batwing, cork, and a helix into the prestation.

Maxlaam: I wish I had black track, or red x-ties (everything the same colour), now that would look awesome!!!

ForgotToGrowUp: No you are not missing anything, I will add angled tubes. I put some places in today, so I can attach angled tubes, once I have things in place. I was just posting pictures on where I was (knowing problems would be found), and it is much easier to just move one tube, then a tube with a second or third tube that is attached. Though, dropping the current train, there really is not any movement. But the train also is not fully weighted, just the weight of the people.

Speaking of weight. How much should the train, or each car be weighted? Also, do you evenly weight the train, or balance to the front or back? Do you weight the front triangle?
I have lead weights that I use for the model trains around the building, and I figured those would work best. Glue into place, and I will cut a peace of styrene and make the bottom of the cars look flatter, and also ensure the weight does not fly out.

I hope I got everything in there. Sorry I have no picture updates, I left my camera at my house today. If nothing tomorrow, I will have pictures on Monday.

Please let me know, if I missed anything else.

#78 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

a lot of people use pennies for weights and I followed that advice. You can easily glue 20 pennies under a car. That is about 50 grams per car (if you use pennies newer than 1982, about 60 grams if they are older ones) figure about 1/2 lb for a 5 car train. More mass is going to have more momentum and keep speed better... unless the structure moves, then it is worse.

Ideally all the cars will weigh the same amount.

#79 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:51 AM

What kind if microcontroller will you be using? There's a whole discussion going on about electronics and automation.

#80 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I have a pico 1760-L12AWA. My dad handed it to me, when I brought up doing automation. Said someone gave it to him one day. I still have to sit down and figure it out fully.