Basilisk Rail (final video)

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#81 floris2burn

floris2burn

Software Engineer

• 414 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

Ah, those are logo's. These can be programmed with the directional buttons, although this is a bit hard/complicated because you need to remember all the reference numbers for the blocks you made. It's simple, but effective, I think these can even steer enough power to run a motor, but not sure on what voltage it gives.

#82 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

The work of the weekend.
Posted Image

Now time to go back thru and add diagonal tube supports and etc for the drop and the loop.

#83 RCExtreme

RCExtreme

Entry Engineer

• 851 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

Dang, that looks sweet. The pullout of the loop is really straight, but I assume that it's because it hasn't been supported yet.

#84 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

yes the pullout doesn't have anything beyond the last support there, and has nothing to hold the curve currently.

I forgot I also wanted to show the logo for the ride. I still need to do some serious line cleaning and touch up work, but my digital drawing is typically a process. These are the images I used for the back of the trains. Because They are small and constantly moving I wasn't overly worried about anyone noticing imperfections. But I do plan on having a nice and clean version for the final ride entrance and etc.

for the Black Train
Posted Image

For the red train
Posted Image

#85 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:12 PM

:tmbs :lov l love that loop, although it doesn't look supported very well, but you said you were going to add more supports. i cant wait for all the elements coming up.
Once you done the next element, make a test video or something so we can see how its looking so far.
i still love this coaster, even though i havent been following very closely lately =/

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#86 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

Could you give us an overview of the whole thing? I think the loop might be a little short.

Posted Image

#87 the_burrito_master

the_burrito_master

mili force 10 years late.

• 2879 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

everything looks great! can we see an overview of it all so we can see how it flows?

#88 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Yup. Pullout is straight. Overview would be nice. This logos are banging!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#89 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

That is a very nice loop, indeed.

Posted Image

If it were an inch taller and a tiny bit wider, it'd be perfect.
I also really like the colors of your crossties and tubing.

#90 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

The loop is absolutely gorgeous!

Is this the first element? If so, it looks like it is less than half the height of the lift crest. That will produce huge G forces. Looks like it is sized for the 3rd or later element.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#91 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

THat's an epic loop but those supports don't look very strong. Try using supports similar to this:
Posted Image

Apart from that gret job!

#92 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

Thanks. I'm glad it came out well. (I spent hours and hours, shifting cross ties, and moving the supports (I had it way too small initially), and figuring out how to remove a few sharp spots, and then I added the outside tubing)

I know the loop is just a fraction smaller than it could/should be. It was done intentionally, to help ensure that even if I have not maintained things properly, it will still make the course, without getting stuck. Unweighted, the train makes it thru the loop decently, but does slow a decent amount.

I will take an overview, after I reshape the initial drop and have diagonal supports in place. Which is what I intend to take care of next/

#93 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

Wow this is an amazing coaster! The loop looks very perfect and would like to see some different views of this ride as well! Very sweet coaster and logos! I like the first one better. I am in awe right now...

Posted Image

#94 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

The vertical supports are not going to be up to the job of continuous running. The forces of the train will cause those supports to be pushed outwards causing the top of the loop to sag down. If you can put another diagonal support on it you will prevent this from happening.

If you have seen Looping Star from Jogumpie and me, which was displayed for 5 days( continuous running) at an expo you could clearly see the loop changing shape over the day. You can easily push back on the sides to correct the shape, but it is so easy to prevent it from happening at all.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#95 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Due to high demand. Here are some overview shots. I am still working on the diagonals supports to help stabilize things better, but here is how far I got before I left for the day.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#96 KCB Designs

KCB Designs

Ride the Lighting!

• 1048 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

I would say take out the straight spot and have the pull out go directly into the loop. I would also make the loop bigger as well.

╔═╦═╦═╦═╦╦═╦╦╦══╦═╦╦╦═╗
║═╣║║║║═╣║║║╩╠╗╔╣═╣╔╣╚╣
║╔╣║║║║╔╣╠╗║║║║║║═╣║╠╗║
╚╝╚═╩═╩╝╚╩═╩╩╝╚╝╚═╩╝╚═╝
EDIT by Jogumpie: Your signature image was too large.

#97 HamenChiz

HamenChiz

HamenChiz

• 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

I agreen with KCB, take out or remove the straight spot to make it look better.
The coaster looks massive and you really have like a thousand black x-ties.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#98 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

The drop looks beautiful, but that straight spot takes away for the ride. Please take it out and make the loop go there, and make it a bit bigger so that it fits that huge drop.

Posted Image

#99 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

You sure do improve. You listen to what is pointed out and that's the key to becoming a great builder.

You revamped the drop and it's beautiful now! Your next objective is to take out the straight spot and make the loop larger. :)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#100 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Right now, there is a sharp spot when the track goes into that straight spot. Hopefully when you take out the straight spot, you will fix that also. Loop needs to be alot bigger also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]