Bad News for Hyper Jump... :'(

first coaster lambchopz tube supported winter coaster

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: How's the coaster/prelift looking so far???

How's the coaster/prelift looking so far???

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hey everyone,
So after being diagnose with strep throat yesterday, I was told to stay home all today and I built this. For those who followed my other thread, this will look fairly similar, considering that the station and brake run are still the same.

So as the title implies, this is my first tube supported coaster, and I think its looking promising so far. The prelift is done, and I'm ready to start the lift hill right now, but I just don't know how to make one that won't look stupid, or not supported properly.

As I said above, I have strep, and on top of that, a major ear infection (I'm supposedly prone to ear infections :l ) so I won't be in the mood to be building non-stop all weekend, or not building at all. I'd really like to see this coaster be finished by a month from now, and with help, I'll definately get there.

For the coaster itselft, its going to have no inversions, but just a few twists and turns. Like I305, but without inversions.
Again, its my first, so its not always going to be good, or pretty, so "constructive criticism" would be better than being bashed. =]

Thanks!
LaMbChOpZ
P.S. Sorry there's so little pics, and the pics came out so small, again. Just click on them to enlarge them and that should be good enough for now.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#2 RCExtreme

RCExtreme

Entry Engineer

• 851 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:48 PM

Looks really good! I like what you did with the base to keep it from sliding around.

#3 Kevyn230

Kevyn230

Aight

• 1347 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

It looks brilliant. I can't even make a turn smooth. I tried on Hydro but I failed and it was really bumpy and ugly.

Posted Image
Under construction:
Non in Progress

#4 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

^Trust me, even I was shocked the prelift turned out that good.
^^ Oh yeah, the base, yeah. Hahaha I have really no clue what I did good with the base but ok!

Today I'll be making the lift hill, and this will look a lot like I305 when the drop is finished. Hopefully I can get the lift finished or at least started before tomorrow. Update later today.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#5 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Update (sorry there's no pics yet, they'll be coming in about an hour or so.)

I've finalized the layout of the roller coaster, and I'll kep it a secret for now, that way it will keep you all in a bit of anticipation. ANYWAY, the roller coaster now looks almost like it was re-done, thanks to all the foundation I put in. The lift hill is coming along OK, but I'm sure you all will agree that it does need a bit more work.

I swear, when I upload the pics, you might just have a heart attack. It looks NOTHING like the pics above...

#6 SuperTKDKid

SuperTKDKid

Lead Engineer

• 2750 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

By the base he meant that he like how you used 3Ds sticking into the ground.

Posted Image

#7 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

^Oh, thats what he meant. Yeah, I do that not only to make the base more stable/stronger, but it also helps when I connect the tubes onto the base, that way if they stick out it doesn't screw up the base.

Now, its time for PICTURES!!!! (sorry, its in the next post)

Sorry if they're screwed up again, I finally found my digital camera and I think I screwed it up again...

The layout is still going to be a secret, but I will let you know it is going to be a bit short even though it looks like it will be very long.

#8 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Well Everyone, here's another update.

After 3 days of attempting to make lift supports, I finally came up with a design that actually worked, and looked good enough for me.

I have pics of the supports for the lift (2) and one for the brake run, and an overall of where I am now. (If the pics come out bad, sorry. I've been fiddeling with them for over a half hour)

PICTURE TIME:

#9 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

Looks ok so far, I love the base to!

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#10 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Very nice piece consuming base for a coaster that isn't to be moved around too much :)

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

^Yeah, thats the point and also to help stop the shaking. I also did that becasue now I had to turn it into a Launched Coaster (it was too big, HA, and it would't make the layout I had planned. I can guarantee it will need the extra strength/support so it doesn't move, because we all don't like shaky tube supported coasters.

^^Good to hear. Well hopefully you weren't too attached to the lift supports, they're long gone from the base now (they're ontop of the base, waiting to be shortened for the 210 turn

The lift hill supports just weren't doing very good, but I'll still be able to get my layout, but without the annoying vertical drop. I'll possibly post pics later tonight of how the launch is working out, if I can get off here and finish building it. The station was also partially finished a few minutes ago, so I'll also post that piece consuming beast.

#12 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Well since I took down the lift and turned it into a launch in under 2 hours, I have about 10 minutes, which is enough to show you all the pictures of the new launch (sorry if they're blurry, they were taken with my phone and in a rush)

The launch itself isn't finished, but the framing for it is, unless I decide to make it a red rod longer, but I'm hopeing that the drill will be fast enough for me not to make it longer.

Hopefully you all know I won't be incorporating inversions into this, so take a guess at what I'll be making next after the launch!!
PICS:

#13 Turtle Man 24

Turtle Man 24

I Lost The Game

• 1198 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

Looks good to me. Don't know much about launches. But I think you are making an over banked turn or a banked turn.

#14 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

^Eh, not quite, but you're on the right track (hahaha punny isn't it)

Just to warn you all, the next update possibly won't come until tomorrow, I have to do stupid Spanish II hw, and also read like 150 pages of The Odyssey which is a gigantic poem... ugh.

#15 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

UPDATE: I finished the launch (instead of doing my HLA homework) so sorry if it's only one pic, I again was in a rush.

I was able to finish the launch, but the coaster isn't making it now to the launch, but that was because it wasn't weight down yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow after school.

Anyway, the launch will be a drill launch, and after that there will be (where I am now) a banked, 190* turn into an air hill. Then after the hill, back into a banked turn, i think it was going to be around 160*, then a brake run, then a few bunny hills and turns until the brake run which might have to be shortened, or the straight part needs to become smaller.

If you have any questions or comments, ask/comment away, or need a visual of the layout, I will be happy to provide. =]
(If its too hard to tell, I had a lot of inspiration from Looping Star and I305)

PIC:

#16 scott

scott

Architect

• 566 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Not bad so far, You could put rods into the open slots on the bottom for a stronger base to.

Steam: rodimus113
MC and XBL: rodimuz
PC:
amd a4-3420, r5 230, 8gb ddr3 1333

#17 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

^Inbetween the launch and side of base??

I don't have enough green parts to do that. I would, but they're all in the station, unless you all want the station to go...

#18 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

So far there's not alot I can critique, but it looks good so far, nice and sturdy.

KR11

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#19 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

• 2812 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

^Im surprised. I would have at least thought that you guys would see something wrong. I actually like using tube supports.

Again, Another update:

The launch has been finished (and hopefully doesn't have to be made longer) and I've then started the heartlining/banking for the190 degree curve into the air hill. Although it isn't much, and its not a lot from yesterday's, its coming along very smoothly. No problems whatsoever, and as you can see, I've already started to place supports for the rest of the turn just because its that easy to predict.

The supports for the turn aren't done yet. I might be adding more after I test this for the first time after the hill's done. I have a very cool idea coming up for this, and it's going to take place inbetween the station and launch and invovles a cool element that I'll be willing to try.

Next update might be tomorrow depending on if the turn is finished by then.
Glad to see you all are really liking how my first tube coaster (yes this is my first) is coming out. There Most certainly will be more tube coasters coming from LaMbChOpZ in the future...

PICS:

#20 Blackkitty

Blackkitty

Meow!

• 1705 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Looks good to me, but why can't you upload pictures to Photobucket? It is getting sort of annoying to look at attachments all the time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first coaster, lambchopz, tube supported, winter coaster