Old Newcomer here! First custom coaster help/suggestions?

first newcomer custom coaster first coaster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hey SSCoaster forum members! As the title says, I'm an old newcomer here! I signed up on sscoasters in 2010 at the age of 12 because my love of coasters was strong and K'NEX were easily one of my favorite hobbies at the time.

I've been EXTREMELY inactive on this forums, and I mean extremely, in six years I haven't contributed much simply because I did not have enough sets / pieces at the age of 12. I was too young to afford K'NEX. I'm 18 now about to graduate high school and I'm excited to get back into this hobby! I bought some sets last year and I think I'm finally ready to make my first set! Now here's where I need help!

First off, I'd consider myself a newbie at building. Although for years I've seen many great works by others, never have I been able to create such a masterpiece myself. BUT I ALWAYS WANTED TO! So please help me SS coaster enthusiasts!

I'll start off by listing off the sets that I have, I don't want to get ahead of myself and start building something I can't finish.

I have...

1 SS set
1 RR set
4 Loopin' Lightning Sets
1 Super Cyclone Coaster Set
1 Loopin' Lizard Set (Is that what it's called? I forgot and don't have the box anymore haha)
2 Speed Coaster Sets (Micro)
1 Micro Ferris Wheel Set (Similar to the speed coaster, they're about 7 years old)
1 Spinning Swingset Set? (Also one of the group of 4 Speed coaster and Ferris wheel sets, know what I mean? It came with Lego style bricks as well haha)

And maybe some extra pieces here and there.

The photo attached is a visual representation of all of my pieces neatly organized in ziplock baggies haha.

Based on my sets... Would it be wise to start off with a custom coaster based off of the micro track sets? Or more of the SS / RR style coaster? I feel like I don't have enough of either but I'll let you guys determine that.

There it is! Hope this information allows you guys to help me out!

Not only am I not sure where to start, but I really have zero experience. You guys can visit http://www.youtube.com/user/knexrules to get an idea of what I've done in the past as a kid. Obviously I'm a young adult now and times have changed so I'm probably wiser in creating things BUT... I would sure like some help in maybe being provided proper links to tutorials (depending on which style coaster I'm going for) and yeah you guys know what I mean right? xD

Just a foundation on how to get started, building proper lifts that don't look gross and ugly, etc... I want to make a nice and neat coaster using as many pieces as possible.

Thanks guys! I'm eager to get to know these forums further!

Don't be afraid to say Hi either! ;)

~ Allen / Rct3fan00

P.S - Perhaps fill me in on the terminology used here? Perhaps like what exactly VV and SS mean? I know they're sets but it seems like people refer to those sets as the type of track they are? Am I on the right track? Thanks!

Attached File  image.jpeg   168.96KB   1 downloads

Edited by rct3fan00, 21 April 2016 - 11:40 AM.

aodlpu7b6bd.png

"You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

#2 CartRacer56

CartRacer56

Inversion Enthusiast

• 1031 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Based on what I can see in the picture you will be able to do more with VV but SS keeps speed better. 

Glad to have you around! 

#3 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

It looks like you have a lot of good Micro track, but I don't see too many micro pieces. You could maybe build the structures with SS and the track with VV. It really depends on if you want to do SS or VV. Good Luck!

Also SS is the bigger pieces and the track that uses tubing. VV is the smaller pieces, also known as micro, it uses the track that comes pre built.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 21 April 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#4 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Based on what I can see in the picture you will be able to do more with VV but SS keeps speed better. 

Glad to have you around!

Thanks! And yeah I have enough pieces to mix and match micro and regular pieces.

It looks like you have a lot of good Micro track, but I don't see too many micro pieces. You could maybe build the structures with SS and the track with VV. It really depends on if you want to do SS or VV. Good Luck!

Also SS is the bigger pieces and the track that uses tubing. VV is the smaller pieces, also known as micro, it uses the track that comes pre built.

Your idea seems best fit with the SS structure and VV track and I will most likely go based off of that. I'll probably do SS style once I get at least one more SS or RR set. Are there a lot and good tutorials for VV sets? I honestly can just look too but I just don't want to be looking in the wrong place haha. Thanks by the way!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

#5 KirbyCoast

KirbyCoast

• 340 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:45 PM

Thanks! And yeah I have enough pieces to mix and match micro and regular pieces.

Your idea seems best fit with the SS structure and VV track and I will most likely go based off of that. I'll probably do SS style once I get at least one more SS or RR set. Are there a lot and good tutorials for VV sets? I honestly can just look too but I just don't want to be looking in the wrong place haha. Thanks by the way!

Yes there are some good ones, just look in the tutorials section and most of the VV tutorials will have VV in the title. Also to be able to use an SS support structure you need a piece that connects SS to VV. There are two important types, one is a rod (this one is usually red or green), and the other one is a connector (this one is green). I think that the connector is more useful, although if you only have the rods it should still work.

Edited by KirbyCoast, 21 April 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#6 rct3fan00

rct3fan00

• 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Yes there are some good ones, just look in the tutorials section and most of the VV tutorials will have VV in the title. Also to be able to use an SS support structure you need a piece that connects SS to VV. There are two important types, one is a rod (this one is usually red or green), and the other one is a connector (this one is green). I think that the connector is more useful, although if you only have the rods it should still work.

Yes absolutely! I'm familiar with those pieces. Thanks again!

aodlpu7b6bd.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first, newcomer, custom coaster, first coaster