Scrap Attack!

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Poll: What color do you think the cars will be?

What color do you think the cars will be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

I love the Norwegien Loop. If I am correct the only two coasters that have them are Fahrenheit and Speed Monster but this would be sick to have something like this in real life. Keep in mind that you'll prolly need it to clear the first half with decent speed for it to make the second half. As you see both of those coasters just barely creep over the crests of each half of the element and real coasters hold speed much better than knex. Although you'll be fine because its small enough. Great Job and Move on!

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#202 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

A whole month? I really do build slower than poop.

I can now admit that the Stengel Dive was, in fact, the most difficult element to shape by far! I studied all the photos from rcdb, looked at it from Google Maps, watched the POV on loop, and even checked out the reverse POV for safe measure. I think it came out much better than last time, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

But first, your comments!

--comments--

The first and best K'nex Micro Norwegian Loop, and it impresses me so much. I am glad to see this coaster is back in business because this is probably the best and most creative coasters being built out there on this site now a days. The only thing that I can see is a small sharp spot at the beginning of the Norwegian loop, but nothing too major.

Thanks. I worked on the N.Loop a bit and I think I smoothed it out.

Nice Stig mini fig. It looks really good, but what is up with your stengel?

Thanks. The Stengel is done now.

^There are no supports holding the Stengel up.

This is incredible! Like Jumpge said, there is a sharp spot, but everything else looks great!

Thanks. Sorry no test yet.

Nice story, like it al lot. The Norwegian loop is pretty awesome!

Thanks.

You got the Stig guy :D. Also I really like this coaster especially your launch.

Yup, I bought the Rally Car set. Thanks.

I see you tried to built a norwegian loop again :)

Looks very well. It could use a tad more heartlining, but I understand that you can't pull that off with the micro track.

Looking forward to more:D

Yeah I did some work on it and I think I fixed the heartlining a bit. But yes, micro track has it's disadvantages. Thanks.

Looks good. It looks a little messy, and weak, but I know that you're only upgrading things. Are there going to be any layout changes? And whatever happened to the tophat?

Yes there are some changes. The Top Hat isn't built yet, but when it is, it'll look a little different from last time. I still want it to look like Storm Runner's though. Thanks.

I love the Norwegien Loop. If I am correct the only two coasters that have them are Fahrenheit and Speed Monster but this would be sick to have something like this in real life. Keep in mind that you'll prolly need it to clear the first half with decent speed for it to make the second half. As you see both of those coasters just barely creep over the crests of each half of the element and real coasters hold speed much better than knex. Although you'll be fine because its small enough. Great Job and Move on!

-AsM

Thanks. I realize (with some car pushing) that I'll need a lot of speed coming from the S.Dive to completely make the N.Loop.

Now the photos!

--photos--

N.Loop pullin with spine and headchopper
Posted Image

Spine detail and (hopefully) fixed heartlining
Posted Image

Unspined Stengel Dive.
Posted Image

I did the twist best I could with the limited radius and found out that one curve looks much better than two. I think the new S.Dive came out better than the last one I did.

S.Dive & N.Loop
Posted Image

The twist
Posted Image

The shape
Posted Image

Pullout transition
Posted Image

--Aerial photos--

Sorry, this one is sideways
Posted Image

from above the S.Dive
Posted Image

front view of second half of layout so far
Posted Image

Was that all the pictures?... I guess so.
Alright, till next time then (H)

#203 2015ASM

2015ASM

Front Seat or Nothing

• 650 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Looks Great dude! If there would be anything to critique it would be the first drop being bumpy but I don't like to judge slim-track coasters because of my lack of experience in them. So great job, better than anything I could ever dream about doing in micro!

-AsM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Griffon - Apollo - Millennium - TTD - Nitro - Kingda Ka - Maverick - Alpengeist - Hulk - Fahrenheit

Nighthawk-Lithium-Archangel-Insomnia- Airborne

Current Project(s):
Requiem

#204 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

I love what you've done with everything after the Stengel, but not the Stengel dive itself. I think it looks somewhat distorted rather than smooth and beautiful, taking away from the coaster. If you can, please change it back to how it was before because it looked so much nicer than it is now. Other than that, I really can't wait to see what comes next in the layout. :D

Posted Image

#205 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

^ Please notice he didn't add a spine to the first part of the stengel dive.

In some spots the track looks a bit strange.
But still, awesome coaster stig!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#206 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

RollerKid500 does not approve of the last few changes that have happened in this area. I thought that the other stengel dive was perfect and the track spine was also. This new one looks weak and poorly shaped.

I mean no harm, just my opinion.

Formally RK500

#207 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'd have to agree. I can understand you started messing with it, because the train wouldn't clear the Norwegian loop, but the problem didn't seem to be the Stengel dive, but the turn right after it. A turn like that simply drains a lot of energy out your train.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#208 tornado96

tornado96

VV Australia

• 922 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Ahh Are you using the new spine to use less pieces? Technically you could combine this spine with the Intamin spine you had originally. That would make it much stronger. I'm hoping the Stengel looks better after adding the spine! I just noticed that this high speed curve is actually smaller than the one I'm using on Superman... Weird.

Very Well Done Stig You are definitely worthy of that Builder tag!

#209 RNB

RNB

VV builder

• 1808 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

Sorry, but I don't like your Stengel Dive now. It's not steep enough, has some strange spots. Try combining this one with the old one.

#210 The Stig

The Stig

Some say...

• 4609 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. It gave me plenty to think about. That's a good thing.

Gump is right. The high speed turn simply has to go. It's where I'm losing the most speed. And it was never a major element in the proposed layout anyway, so I'm not too hesitant to remove it.

As for the Stengel, I'll work on it some more. I can't help but feel I'm still overlooking something. As RNB & Jumpge suggested, I'm going to try to find that nice balance between the now & then. In fact.... Looking at the old pictures, I think I know where to start.

And lastly, the spine. I'm using 3 rods to imitate Intamin's triangular spine.
It uses the same number of pieces as the old one, they're just closer to the track to save space, not pieces.
From the bottom of the S.Dive to the beginning of the launch, I'll use 4 rods.

Thanks again for the comments and criticism.
Till next time (H)

#211 RollerManiac

RollerManiac

Lead Engineer

• 2490 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

The new stengel dive is fine, but the top is wrong and banks too late.

Formally RK500

#212 xx-cyp-62-xx

xx-cyp-62-xx

Construction Worker

• 105 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

very godd job sting the tub is work the track is smooth