Poison Ivy

jumpge journal

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

Poll: How long should the train be?

How long should the train be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

This is looking great. Is there going to be enough room for box supports for all of that pile of spaghetti you are building? That ride is insane! Took me minutes to find the C roll in all that mess.

I love that launch design. Is it Steel's design or something new? If it has been done before what coaster originally used it? I'd love to see more pictures of it.

From what I have calculated, I will have enough room to fit everything inside the tiny space, but it will be some with smaller boxes for supports, and even possible tubes in the end.
As for the launch, the in-track guide was steel and maarten12's idea that they let me borrow, (and actually wanted me to use instead of the old guide) and it works out really well! The resetting system is all custom by me, and it was inspired by steel's first version Giga cable-lift on Steel Force.

As for the c-roll, I have started working on perfecting it with the lowered look with a little more un-banking in it. I will have that done, and possibly the next immelmann type element done by the next update too.

Comments still appreciated!~

Posted Image

#22 Aaron

Aaron

Keep Harpin' On

• 636 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

Absolutely beautiful cobra roll Jumpge, it is SUPERCOOL! One of the best I've ever seen. I can't spot anything wrong with it ATM. Great work!

Posted Image

#23 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Probably the best cobra roll I've seen. Like others have said, make the transition lower and less of an angle. Please continue!

Posted Image

#24 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I fixed the c-roll by lowering the middle a little more, and also made the next element, the immelmann.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I should get to the rising-turn tomorrow, considering it's a weekend, but the next you will see is when the hill is completed, and I should also have a test with the launch. I also have to get around to weighting my cars to maintain speed throughout the twisted layout.
:king

Posted Image

#25 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

nice and smoooooooooth

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

#26 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

Most Excellent.
Looks really spot on. Excellent track work.

Good luck with getting the launch controlled (I know a lift is a pain to get to work correct and it moves at one speed, so I figure a launch is that much more intense).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#27 Helmut

Helmut

Das Beste oder Nichts

• 3012 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:30 AM

Perfect. I hope you get the launch working good enough.

Posted Image

#28 MichaelG

MichaelG

Architect

• 504 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:34 AM

That is amazing, the track work looks epic.
Can we have more pictures of the launch design and structure, as I really want to see how you are going to make it work and how you make the locking mechanism.

#29 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

nice and smoooooooooth

Thanks man!

Most Excellent.
Looks really spot on. Excellent track work.

Good luck with getting the launch controlled (I know a lift is a pain to get to work correct and it moves at one speed, so I figure a launch is that much more intense).

I have the launch controlled, but I am now working on making the resetting system, so I should get to doing that sometime soon.

Perfect. I hope you get the launch working good enough.

Thanks! I hope to have the launch worked out really soon!

That is amazing, the track work looks epic.
Can we have more pictures of the launch design and structure, as I really want to see how you are going to make it work and how you make the locking mechanism.

Once I have the automation and resetting system done, (or at least almost done) I will get some pictures of it so you can see what I am working with on the launch. As I said before, that should hopefully be soon.

Verbal update
I have the turnaround and hill done, but the train can't seem to make it up the turnaround to the crest of the hill, or even relevantly close to that. Here are my options on what to do-

1) Make the launch faster than before, launching the car through the elements with unrealistic speed
2) Add a booster between the c-roll and the immlemann for more speed through the turn and the hill
3) Make the launch faster and add the booster to have a more realistic ride speed through the elements

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Knexrule11

Knexrule11

Sferico's President

• 4456 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

Could you get us a video and some pics. That will help is judge if it's too high/not supported enough.

:ph34r: SSCoasters Moderator :ph34r:
Fear the Bankatana | The SSCoasters Forum Rules

MySSCoasterssig.png
SfericoUserbar-1.png
Maverick|Tatsu|TTD|Fahrenheit|Skyrush|MF|Cheetah Hunt|Storm Runner|SheiKra|Montu
Coaster Count: 102

#31 ~stεεlspectrum~

~stεεlspectrum~

You ready to ride the Fist O' Pain?

• 7526 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

You sure you can't just lower the hill? You could also try inventing a super-fast tire drive that propels the car fast enough!

#32 ickus305

ickus305

museum

• 891 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ya looking at the picture, the train rolls thru 4 elements, and does not drop very much in terms of height. If you are able to cheat and drop the height more to pull it off (and not drop as much height in later elements) that would looks and be much better then having to resort to a booster.

Also, the even if the launch leans on the side of being slightly too fast thru the C-roll, I think we the viewers can fully understand, that we can scale most things we want (when building), but gravity we can not scale.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#33 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

Looking very good and everything's good so far. I have my concerns about speed and completing the lay-out, but I'm sure you can come up with something instead of cancelling it in the end. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#34 Sniggeh

Sniggeh

Lead Engineer

• 1511 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Looks really good! Make sure you have supported it really well, lubed your trains, and wiped the track with pledge. If nothing else, increase the launch speed.

Posted Image

#35 JPCoaster

JPCoaster

Lead Engineer

• 1292 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Make the hill lower and a booster will be ugly if you don't hide it so I say...option 1. Also, last time I had a speed problem, I took down my cars pieces by pieces, cleaned it one by one and it worked perfectly after that.

Posted Image

#36 Jumpge

Jumpge

• 3930 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:41 PM

In the end I had to use a booster. I know its bad, but it was my last resort after trying everything imaginable to keep speed, but the train barely made it up the turn without it. Even though I used a booster, I got really good shaping on the ride in that area!

I added cross bracing to the c-roll's back to take away some of the shaking that was happening in that element. I also made the launch faster to propel it with better speed into the booster, so that it can clear the hill. So far the train hits the x-tie at the end of the track with pretty nice speed that looks really realistic for this ride. (If you are wondering, the hill has to be that height so that the train can go under there in the MCBR)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sadly I could not get a video, since I can't seem to find my video-recorder charger for the recorder that is now dead, but I will make sure to get a video as soon as I can!
:king

Posted Image

#37 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13586 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Perhaps you should change your name to TBM#2. :)

I can imagine you're using a booster and it doesn't look bad there, actually. It will probably even less noticeable when there's more track and supports.

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#38 Kevkillerke

Kevkillerke

Mr. circus

• 1658 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

sad about the coaster,
but you did a great job on the shaping!
go and build this awesome coaster!!

Posted Image
Click > Spirit Bomb/Blue Fire!/Double O/Kirnu < Click
SSC award 2014: Best SlimTrack Coaster
Eruption
Posted Image

#39 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

^I totally agree with that, I don't really mind that booster. The only thing I can see is that the last part is higher than the c roll, which isn't in real.

Posted Image

#40 ForgotToGrowUp

ForgotToGrowUp

Lead Engineer

• 1732 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

booster :(

maybe if you painted it flat black no one will notice.

Comet Recreation still underway.

Proof you never grow up if you keep playing with toys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jumpge journal